Pay and Benefits

Any comments on drillship/semi-submersible companies… Salary? Benefits? Advancement?

There is already a thread on this…

It’s constantly changing… Why not revisit it…

[QUOTE=swift sure;72279]Any comments on drillship/semi-submersible companies… Salary? Benefits? Advancement? [/QUOTE]

Why are you asking? Who sent you? Why do you think we’d tell you anyway? That’s priviledged information on a need to know only basis. You do not have the required clearance!

The reason nobody wants to answer you is because too many people are coming on here with the same type questions over and over. Just find one of the old threads on this and add a new post to it if you want but please read through the posts already there first to ask some “specific” questions rather than the five mile wide one you are asking here.

We here do not want to teach the same class over and over to one student at a time.

Do offshore companies really offer pay and benefits ?

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;72290]Do offshore companies really offer pay and benefits ?[/QUOTE]

MY GOD! Where was it that you discovered the truth that we all pay our employers to run their vessels for them just so we can have the wild seagoing adventures, the superb gourmet chop chop, the wild sex with young merchant mariner groupies and to upgrade our licenses? You realize that we will have to kill you now that you know!

Curses!!! Drat!!! Close the damn curtain!!!

[QUOTE=swift sure;72277]Any comments on drillship/semi-submersible companies… Salary? Benefits? Advancement?[/QUOTE]

1. Salary? Nearly all pay the same (minus Noble last I heard), but have different ways of doing it through retention, bonus schemes, and base pay.
  2. Benefits? Free disability insurance is normal, good health insurance (90/10) with low yearly deductibles (no premiums with Seadrill), $1 for $1 401k typical (Seadrill up to 8%); Atwood $2 for $1 401K up to 5%
  3. Advancement? Yes.

Thanks anchorman
I am in the process of switching from OSV’s to the drilling companies. What base salary can I expect as DPO and then Sr. DPO. I have heard some companies have gotten ride of retention bonuses. True? How do the performance bonuses work and realistically how long between advancement from DPO to SDPO. I currently have a DPO unlimited.

This threads are getting old!!!

What we need is one about the merchant mariner groupies that C.Captain is talking about!! But please tell me that you are not talking about your summer cadets!!! LOL.

[QUOTE=PR-9;72342]What we need is one about the merchant mariner groupies that C.Captain is talking about!! But please tell me that you are not talking about your summer cadets!!! LOL.[/QUOTE]

The female KP cadet we dream about on dark and stormy nights…(note the “legs of death”!)

& those ones we actually get…(note the “nunchuks of death”!)

I know that you’re saying right now that I’m a mean dirty rotten no good sonnuvabitch…

…thanks!

LOL!!! Most people think it, you just actually say it!! (or post it)

[QUOTE=swift sure;72341]Thanks anchorman
I am in the process of switching from OSV’s to the drilling companies. What base salary can I expect as DPO and then Sr. DPO. I have heard some companies have gotten ride of retention bonuses. True? How do the performance bonuses work and realistically how long between advancement from DPO to SDPO. I currently have a DPO unlimited.[/QUOTE]

If you are “in the process” then you will receive an offer letter that spells everything out for you. You are not in the process of anything without an offer letter. Most retention and performance bonuses usually come into play for Sr.DPO and up (senior positions), that is not always the case with DPO’s. I have no idea what you can expect personally, but I would say no lower than $150,000 / year working equal time as just a plain DPO.

[QUOTE=PR-9;72361]LOL!!! Most people think it, you just actually say it!! (or post it)[/QUOTE]

Are you actually trying to say that you were thinking about what C.Captain just posted? Like, beforehand? Have you been drinking? Most people do drink, so I give you that.

Process meaning filling out applications and submitting resume…what to expect as sr. Dpo with retention/performance bonuses? Also, on average, how much sea time to advance from one position to the other?

[QUOTE=anchorman;72382]Have you been drinking? Most people do drink, so I give you that.[/QUOTE]

thanks bartender…I will indeed have another and I’ll buy one for that other guy PR-9, as well. Put it on my tab…

[QUOTE=swift sure;72387]Process meaning filling out applications and submitting resume…what to expect as sr. Dpo with retention/performance bonuses? Also, on average, how much sea time to advance from one position to the other?[/QUOTE]

Let’s just lay the cards on the table…shall we? You have a license and a DPO certificate and want to play in the big leagues making the big $$$'s but you have no drilling experience yet but still think you’re ready to play want to get the best deal possible?

Being a drilling SDPO is indeed the big $$$'s with one of the top companies and working on DP supply vessels is playing for a farm team so why do you think you’re ready for the “big show” yet? You should consider yourself lucky to get a DPO position now with Noble Drilling, get the experience you need to play for the big league teams down the road after you’ve been seasoned and let the scouts get a chance to look at your batting average? Plenty of others like you there now already…mostly from OCLLC.

[QUOTE=c.captain;72398]

You should consider yourself lucky to get a DPO position now with Noble Drilling, get the experience you need to play for the big league teams down the road after you’ve been seasoned and let the scouts get a chance to look at your batting average? Plenty of others like you there now already…mostly from OCLLC.[/QUOTE]

98 percent of the guys that went to Noble from OCLLC were academy guys fresh out of school with barley enough time to get there DP certificate. The ink was not even dry on the cert yet, they never learned how to be a simple supply boat mate, little lone knowing anything about a drill ship.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;72410]98 percent of the guys that went to Noble from OCLLC were academy guys fresh out of school with barley enough time to get there DP certificate. The ink was not even dry on the cert yet, they never learned how to be a simple supply boat mate, little lone knowing anything about a drill ship.[/QUOTE]

How do we know if that our good man isn’t exactly one himself?

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;72410]98 percent of the guys that went to Noble from OCLLC were academy guys fresh out of school with barley enough time to get there DP certificate. The ink was not even dry on the cert yet, they never learned how to be a simple supply boat mate, little lone knowing anything about a drill ship.[/QUOTE]

It’s quite possible our fellow is one of these. He says nothing about this background.

Not that shooting for high goals is bad but one’s aim has to be realistic. Being “latched up” 2500m down is not the same as sitting 20m off the side with a couple of hoses across. The two worlds are maybe in the same solar system but little else.

Personally, it is only the $$$ that makes drilling even worth it as a DPO.