Pay and Benefits

With the OSV company raises I’m not even sure that the $$$ makes it worth it anymore.

[QUOTE=c.captain;72431]
Personally, it is only the $$$ that makes drilling even worth it as a DPO.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with that…it’s more the opportunity of advancement past DPO that makes drilling worth it…I never would have crossed over to drilling, no matter what the $$$, to sit in front of a DP console.

[QUOTE=anchorman;72436]I disagree with that…it’s more the opportunity of advancement past DPO that makes drilling worth it…[/QUOTE]

Not that chief mate or master is fabulous either since no matter the shape of the unit, they are all MODUs in the end and operate as such. Plus there can be many more potential terrors to need face when the PIC. In few other worlds are you at the mercy of the technology as you are in deepater DP drilling and the potential consequences for human error are also much greater than in any other offshore sector. Add 2 + 2 and you have yourself another Macondo!

Still the $$$ makes it too hard to just say nyet!

I do drink! Specially if I can get a Mojito!!!

[QUOTE=anchorman;72436]I never would have crossed over to drilling, no matter what the $$$, to sit in front of a DP console.[/QUOTE]

Agreed there…to be a MODU DPO is almost entirely thankless, boring & potentially terrifying. Other than being a glorified controlroom operator it gives one little to no experience actually being a ship’s deck officer. No vessel handling, no cargo, no seamanship…just buttons and screens. I am not at all in favor of these young mate/dpo’s being able to upgrade an unlimited license with nothing at all but MODU time amd we both know that there are many out there now full master. Even prepo mates are still working on a “ship” even though it is rarely underway.

Do you miss the transmitting in and out of ports and boat handling you had at Chouest?

[QUOTE=PR-9;72439]I do drink! Specially if I can get a Mojito!!![/QUOTE]

Damned glad to hear it, but my good man…real seamen don’t drink Mojitos…they drink 'boilermakers"! Still nothing wrong with a Mojito or Margarita but I cannot abide a Pina Colada. Does Delta still push their effing “Mile High Mojitos”? Just reminds me of some horny couple getting it on in the toilet…talk about “no class”!

I do wonder what flying must have been like in the glory daze when stewardesses were all HOT and the addage was “coffee, tea or me”!

[QUOTE=PR-9;72441]Do you miss the transmitting in and out of ports and boat handling you had at Chouest?[/QUOTE]

I all honesty, as much as any of us might loathe Fooshon, there is a proessional satisfaction to bringing a vessel in and out of there and taking it into some of those rather tight docks. I have said it before that I tip my hat the all those capn’s who take those really big anchor handlers, subsea and now increasing large OSVs into Halliburton Slip or the other small holes, top them around and park them into a space maybe 20’ longer than their own boat.

[QUOTE=c.captain;72444]I all honesty, as much as any of us might loathe Fooshon, there is a proessional satisfaction to bringing a vessel in and out of there and taking it into some of those rather tight docks. I have said it before that I tip my hat the all those capn’s who take those really big anchor handlers, subsea and now increasing large OSVs into Halliburton Slip or the other small holes, top them around and park them into a space maybe 20’ longer than their own boat.[/QUOTE]

Hey, that is what DP is for, right? Oh, never mind. I will head back down below where I belong. . . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;72446]Hey, that is what DP is for, right? Oh, never mind. I will head back down below where I belong. . . . .[/QUOTE]

For the love of Gawd man…don’t go there with “swampnet” lurking in the weeds! Don’t you remember the last time this subject came up? We ended up fighting the Civil War all over again with about as many fatalities in that battle royale!

Not daiquiris from the drive through?

I can see that! But when you are an Island guy like me Mojitos and Cuba Libres are a must!

[QUOTE=lemurian;72449]Not daiquiris from the drive through?[/QUOTE]

Gotta love LA!

But, I’ll go with a Margartia if it is blended. I have no idea at all why people prefer them on the rocks?

The money of course and the opportunity of advancement are appealing. I have been sailing as captain for past three years on a 280’ OSV. Also, I am looking for something new and since we are all out here, away from our families half the year why try to achieve the best salary/ benefits package out there. All I am asking for is more info about drilling companies and if I am presented with a choice I will have a better understanding of what is offered throughout the industry.

Exactly, looking for the best opportunity all around…I do not like jumping from company to company… Would like to land a spot with a top drilling company. So, I take it noble is near the bottom? What do they start a DPO at? Sr. DPO? What about other companies?

[QUOTE=swift sure;72456]Exactly, looking for the best opportunity all around…I do not like jumping from company to company… Would like to land a spot with a top drilling company. So, I take it noble is near the bottom? What do they start a DPO at? Sr. DPO? What about other companies?[/QUOTE]

How much do you make as Captain on your OSV? Dont B.S. us, let me know that and I will gladly give you salaries from different drilling companies.

[QUOTE=swift sure;72453] I have been sailing as captain for past three years on a 280’ OSV.[/QUOTE]

“Captain” being a pretty loose term in Fourchon. Are you a “master” or a “mate”? What other experience do you have? What license? You want us to give you answers to questions without giving us the data we need to even to try which I am not particularly inclined to do myself because you have gotten off on the wrong foot here (for me anyway) from the start.

I ask again, why you feel ready to go over to drilling and why will a drilling company want you?

[QUOTE=swift sure;72456]Exactly, looking for the best opportunity all around…I do not like jumping from company to company… Would like to land a spot with a top drilling company. So, I take it noble is near the bottom? What do they start a DPO at? Sr. DPO? What about other companies?[/QUOTE]

FOR GOD’S SAKE…Read all the earlier threads on this! Why do people refuse to do any legwork anymore and just want things handed to them?

I make $825/daily… No benefits to really speak of… Just curious how much to expect as DPO and then SDPO…also, typical length of time between positions…thks

I have read previous posts… Thought things may have changed as they usually do… Just wanted update…Pay has gone up on the OSV side… But forget it…didn’t mean to get your panties in a bunch…u need to find something else to bide your time. Think you be on here to often…