Oil rig electrician wages

I recently met a chief engineer working for Transocean who told me that an electrician working on an oil rig can expect to make around 150k a year. Is it true or just an entertaining sea story?

True once you’re chief electrician working int’l. I’ve got an old pay schedule and the pay scale in 2009 was:

Average monthly gross:

Electrician $8634
Chief Elec. $9907
Elec. Supervisor $11,099
Electronics guys make the same.
Add 25% on to the above for int’l. I THINK they got about a 3- 5% pay raise since the above figures.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. But their website says that the rotation is 28/28 that only makes it about 70+ a year. Not unless they work 6 month and get paid for 12.

It’s the big leagues, you get paid 12 months a year.
Work schedule is 28/28 int’l and 14/14 domestic last I heard.

Thank’s a lot Tengineer. That’s is very impressive. Makes SIU wages look like s++t.
Any idea how hard is it to get a job with them?

For an electrician it should not be hard at all. That is one of the positions they are always looking for.

Thank you very much guys for this information.

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and on my way to becoming a Merchant Marine (just waiting to get my z card and TWIC back). I was a comercial electrician for ten years and worked on some of the more complicated aspects of the industry (I wasn’t just hanging lights). I made the mistake of trying to start a business (not electrically related) at the same time the economy took a shit, so I’m ready to move on from that. I was wondering how “transferable” things were. Does any of the time from my 10 year electrical career count towards my ratings at sea? I did a five year apprenticeship and have many other industry certifications after that. I mean, I’m sure some of the instalation standards and practices are different, but the “physics” of electricity don’t change… Can I test out on some of the certifications? Any idea how long it would take me to be able to get a job with one of the “big leage” companies making the kind of money mentioned above? Thanks in advance for any helpful responses, I’m trying to figure out the ins and outs of this very convoluted industry!

-Brad

[QUOTE=Brad D;43375]Hey guys, I am new to the forum and on my way to becoming a Merchant Marine (just waiting to get my z card and TWIC back). I was a comercial electrician for ten years and worked on some of the more complicated aspects of the industry (I wasn’t just hanging lights). I made the mistake of trying to start a business (not electrically related) at the same time the economy took a shit, so I’m ready to move on from that. I was wondering how “transferable” things were. Does any of the time from my 10 year electrical career count towards my ratings at sea? I did a five year apprenticeship and have many other industry certifications after that. I mean, I’m sure some of the instalation standards and practices are different, but the “physics” of electricity don’t change… Can I test out on some of the certifications? Any idea how long it would take me to be able to get a job with one of the “big leage” companies making the kind of money mentioned above? Thanks in advance for any helpful responses, I’m trying to figure out the ins and outs of this very convoluted industry!

-Brad[/QUOTE]

Well, first off, you won’t be a Merchant Marine, but a merchant mariner. I do believe that you will also have to gain some sea time as an oiler/wiper before you make the step up to electrician. I am sure that others will chime in since much has changed in getting documentation these days.

[QUOTE=cmakin;43379]Well, first off, you won’t be a Merchant Marine, but a merchant mariner. I do believe that you will also have to gain some sea time as an oiler/wiper before you make the step up to electrician. I am sure that others will chime in since much has changed in getting documentation these days.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification! From what I’ve read so far, the impression that I have is that I need 180 days sea time before I can test for my QMED and I’d obviously choose the Electrical endorsement. Is this correct? What about the STCW? If I take the basic safety class myself would that be enough to get me on a rig? If I were working on a Tug, would the seatime transfer to the rig? Or would I have to get a job on a larger vessel so that the sea time would be transferable? Sorry to ask all the noob questions, but I figured the thread was about over and I’m trying to figure things out. For an outsider trying to break in, it’s all VERY confusing. Thanks again.

-Brad

You might find it more productive and better for your reputation to enter the industry by finding a job as an electrician at a shipyard. That way you can learn the differences between shoreside and marine electrical installations. The job of a marine electrician is more like that of an industrial electrician and deals with motors, starters, instrumentation, switchboards, generators, controls, and involves a great deal of troubleshooting. It is not easily picked up on the job and with reduced manning you will be all alone with the problems and there isn’t much tolerance for those who need to learn after the lights go out.

[QUOTE=Brad D;43381]Thanks for the clarification! From what I’ve read so far, the impression that I have is that I need 180 days sea time before I can test for my QMED and I’d obviously choose the Electrical endorsement. Is this correct? What about the STCW? If I take the basic safety class myself would that be enough to get me on a rig? If I were working on a Tug, would the seatime transfer to the rig? Or would I have to get a job on a larger vessel so that the sea time would be transferable? Sorry to ask all the noob questions, but I figured the thread was about over and I’m trying to figure things out. For an outsider trying to break in, it’s all VERY confusing. Thanks again.

-Brad[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about the rig requirements, since I do believe that the only required Z cards are for AB’s. Now, that may be different with the DP rigs. I can say that I have never sailed on a tug with an electrician. In fact, many only have one person in the engine department. It was that way when I sailed for Crowley, and I don’t imagine that their towing vessels are crewed any differently now. I don’t do much work on US flag vessels, but I know on foreign ships there are almost no electricians as a rating. Most of the electrical work is done by the engineers or unlicensed ratings; or they fly out a technician. It IS a hard business to break into. Probably more difficult than opening a business. You may want to contact the drilling companies directly and see what their requirements are.

[QUOTE=Steamer;43382]You might find it more productive and better for your reputation to enter the industry by finding a job as an electrician at a shipyard. That way you can learn the differences between shoreside and marine electrical installations. The job of a marine electrician is more like that of an industrial electrician and deals with motors, starters, instrumentation, switchboards, generators, controls, and involves a great deal of troubleshooting. It is not easily picked up on the job and with reduced manning you will be all alone with the problems and there isn’t much tolerance for those who need to learn after the lights go out.[/QUOTE]

Steamer, thank you very much for the advice. When I stated that I “wasn’t just hanging lights”, I guess I was trying to be modest. I started off working for a control company, so I knew how to wire a starter before I knew how to wire a three way switch! The work I primarily did after my apprenticeship was with Gen Sets (generators up to 5MW), UPS’s(uninteruptable power systems), ATS’s (automatic transfer switches), MCC’s (motor control centers), Switchgear monitering and control systems, HOT switchgear changeovers, preventive and predictive maintenance (I am a level 2 certified thermographer), and a bunch of other stuff - pretty much if it had three letters in it, I worked on it (install, maintain, troubleshoot). As part of the “disaster recovery” team for my company, we guaranteed to get a building back up withing 12 hours of a catastrophic electrical event - so I’m good with troubleshooting… But I DEFINITELY like your idea of working in a shipyard to get my hands dirty again and to work out any of the code standards between maritime installations and what I was used to. But to be honest, I’m just looking to get my foot in the door. Electrical work was something I did for a long time and was good at, but I have no problem learning about engines and other ship systems.

Thanks again for the feedback.

-Brad

Cmakin, thanks for the feedback. The reason I mentioned tugs is that I have a friend in Baltimore who works on the harbor tugs and promised to help me get a job once I got my TWIC and MMC. He also mentioned that Philly was “always hireing”, so if I have no luck there, I’ll start moving around to find an opportunity. I’m sure once a company hires me and sees what I can do, then I’ll advance quickly.

The main part of all this that is confusing to me is switching from different “sized” vessels (tugs to heavier tonned ships to ‘unlimited’). How to find that upward mobility? Most of the companies that are “unlimited” wont hire inexperience people. So do I get my AB (or QMED) and THEN apply to those places, is that how it works?

Thanks again for all of the helpful responses.

-Brad

[QUOTE=Brad D;43381]Thanks for the clarification! From what I’ve read so far, the impression that I have is that I need 180 days sea time before I can test for my QMED and I’d obviously choose the Electrical endorsement. Is this correct? What about the STCW? If I take the basic safety class myself would that be enough to get me on a rig? If I were working on a Tug, would the seatime transfer to the rig? Or would I have to get a job on a larger vessel so that the sea time would be transferable? Sorry to ask all the noob questions, but I figured the thread was about over and I’m trying to figure things out. For an outsider trying to break in, it’s all VERY confusing. Thanks again.

-Brad[/QUOTE]

If you want to work as a non union electrician at sea you will be working on an oil rig of some sort unless you go the MSC route. If you are a qualified, trained electrician you need to contact the better drilling companies and present your qualifications. Seadrill is a good place to start. The drilling companies are always in need of electrical types and they’ll take care of getting you any necessary documents for working at sea. They’ll pay for them too.
Good Luck

Thanks for the feedback, tengineer. I’ll start applying. The only thing that concerns me is the gap in service. But we’ll see how it goes. I appreciate your feedback.

-Brad

Noble has a electronic tech postion posted on their website. Might find some luck there.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I’ll be generating a list of companies, fine tuning my resume and sending it out. Thanks again.

-Brad

[QUOTE=Brad D;43434]I really appreciate all of the feedback. I’ll be generating a list of companies, fine tuning my resume and sending it out. Thanks again.

-Brad[/QUOTE]

There are a whole host of electrical/electronic contractors down here in the Gulf coast that keep busy working on rigs and platforms, too. They are especially busy after hurricanes. I recall one job that I was involved with post Ike where they had to bring a whole bunch of folks down from New England just to finish a job. This was all high tech 6kv stuff, too.

I am yound Indian ETO , 8yr Exp on Oil tankers and FSO. I would like to explore opportunities on RIGS ans FPSO. Somebody pls guide me, how to get a related job in majors like TRANSOCEAN, SEADRILL etc. What all qualifiations, courses I need do, like BOSEIT (OPITO), HUET, DP tech courses etc. I am highly motivated specially after reading the ETO scale on rigs here. I have Permanent Residence of NZ and have work permit for Australia, will that help. What sal and position to expect initially…

ThanX