Offshore Rig Engineers

Recently took a class with a 3rd mate DP officer and the money he quoted was outrageous. Can anyone tell me a little more about the engineers side of things working for a rig/offshore company. Ive been strictly on tugs and barges, but if the money is out there im looking. Just wondering if anyone can answer some questions. Thanks.

They are called rig mechanics, and are not required to be licensed, they get paid well and have equal time schedules. Check out www.rigzone.com. Good luck.

Don’t dp semi submersible rigs need licensed engineers just like they need licensed deck officers? They are vessels after all…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;70102]Don’t dp semi submersible rigs need licensed engineers just like they need licensed deck officers? They are vessels after all…[/QUOTE]
I believe you are right. I have seen Transocean and Noble hiring licensed engineers for theirs

[QUOTE=brjones;70120]I believe you are right. I have seen Transocean and Noble hiring licensed engineers for theirs[/QUOTE]

You guys are correct. Any DP rig, will be required to carry licensed engineers as per their manning requirements. Some companies will hire a 3rd and 2nd engineer and call them Engine Room Operators (ERO), typically will be paid around DPO pay. Some companies have 3rd, 2nd, 1st and C/E positions onboard and typically are paid as their counterpart in the marine department; ADPO, DPO, SrDPO, C/M, and the C/E usually will just be paid less than the Captain/OIM. There are companies that will not use the engineer designation, and call them Chief Mechanics or Mechanics or Mechanical Supervisor (but half will hold a license to meet the manning requirement, and the other half will be drill floor mechanics.) The pay is out there, the money is good.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;70134]You guys are correct. Any DP rig, will be required to carry licensed engineers as per their manning requirements. Some companies will hire a 3rd and 2nd engineer and call them Engine Room Operators (ERO), typically will be paid around DPO pay. Some companies have 3rd, 2nd, 1st and C/E positions onboard and typically are paid as their counterpart in the marine department; ADPO, DPO, SrDPO, C/M, and the C/E usually will just be paid less than the Captain/OIM. There are companies that will not use the engineer designation, and call them Chief Mechanics or Mechanics or Mechanical Supervisor (but half will hold a license to meet the manning requirement, and the other half will be drill floor mechanics.) The pay is out there, the money is good.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to burst some bubbles here…but mine sure was when I choose to rejoin the oil field after a stint away. Here’s the truth on being or becoming a USCG LICENSED engineer onboard a drill rig. Yes the pay is better than most you will find in the maritime industry as a whole, but the lack of respect you will receive for being an engineer in the oilfield is astounding. It baffles the mind to think that after all the years of employing licensed, mostly college educated and trained professional engineers, that the oil field would know and/or recognize the importance of the marine licensed personnel…especially after the horrific tragedy of the Horizon. But, this is not the case. You are not paid on the same level as your counterparts on the bridge, i.e. DPO’s, all DPO’s whether trainies or senoir, receive retention bonuses, while their counterparts of equal licensure in the engineroom do not. Unlicensed personnel in other department also receive the incentive bonuses, while the engineers do not.

You will be expected however, to jump at every other departments whim, should they have a minor problem they can’t figure out, so drop that injector you were going to replace and send one or two of your understaffed department, to go fix a toilet or better yet the AC in the drillers cabin!!! Oh yeah and by the way the sewage tank isn’t working, so drop everything for the month and climb inside that. The good part here is that you won’t have to fill out those nuisance permits…cus when the poop tank is down everyone will leave you alone and not bother to ask of you have your paper work in order…or oh yeah that other thing…hep shots ???

The company I work for just hired a DPO with no license at all…how bout that one for ya!!..So that means he is automatically in the bonus box, while all the LICENSED engineers are not !!

So…before you jump for the money ask yourself this. Do I like the guys I work with? Does my company at least respect what i do for them, with regards to the knowledge/skills i have. Cus here my friend they do not !!!
Unless you are talking about going mechanic or subsea, then by all means you go for it…you get whatever you want !!!

Why did I take 2 semesters of thermodynamics…???

Like they say in the military: “choose your rate, choose your fate”. But I will add that I’m supremely aware that without a good engineer on board my vessel, I am going nowhere. There should be equal compensation in both departments, regardless of vessel type.

Very interesting. Sorry abt the respect issues.

For what it is worth, recently I had a series of conversations with a successful fellow at a drilling contractor. We reviewed some of the marine maint issues and associated costs, unexpected time and cost over runs, etc. a lot of these were on the marine side, hull, mechanical issues, etc., that given more advance planning and support from the DRILLING contractor , the costs and time off hire issues would be greatly reduced. we reviewed very specific issues where millions and weeks could have been saved.

Next it was to HQ to discuss these things. Yes, a big four pronged program to deal with these things, new hires, better evaluation of the rigs, multiuser advance planning, sell off the old gear yadda yadda yadda. And the annual and quarterly reports all reflecting the a money, delays , utilization rates etc.

But the bottom line was only this. We are a Drilling Contractor, not a shipping company. Get over it. (their words - not mine)

+A465B I hear similar complaints from alot of guys, on the engine room side of drilling. I know some companies are better than others about the respect issue. I have even heard more than one remark from a mate like the one above. I think most of the issue comes from the days when the drilling companies did not need a marine crew. Every thing was anchored or jack up, so they did not need any of us. Until the drilling companies learn that without a ship they don’t have anything to drill off of the problem will never be any better. The engine room is just as important as any other department, without power they can’t drill, and the DPO’s can’t sit there and press there little buttons. I guarantee you they will all be screaming when the A/C goes out, or they can’t flush the safety man down the crapper. You get to see who is important then.

[QUOTE=+A465B;77408]Very interesting. Sorry abt the respect issues.

For what it is worth, recently I had a series of conversations with a successful fellow at a drilling contractor. We reviewed some of the marine maint issues and associated costs, unexpected time and cost over runs, etc. a lot of these were on the marine side, hull, mechanical issues, etc., that given more advance planning and support from the DRILLING contractor , the costs and time off hire issues would be greatly reduced. we reviewed very specific issues where millions and weeks could have been saved.

Next it was to HQ to discuss these things. Yes, a big four pronged program to deal with these things, new hires, better evaluation of the rigs, multiuser advance planning, sell off the old gear yadda yadda yadda. And the annual and quarterly reports all reflecting the a money, delays , utilization rates etc.

But the bottom line was only this. We are a Drilling Contractor, not a shipping company. Get over it. (their words - not mine)[/QUOTE]

Yep, it’s a drill-ship not a ship drill. Many rig managers don’t even know what an engineer does and they consider them along with the rest of the marine crew necessary evils which they had just as soon do without.
One would think there would be a wake up call coming in wake of the Macondo disaster. Maintenance was lacking in all respects including that normally assigned to the engineers.
I have been on quite a few drillships and MODUs reviewing their PM program as a portion of my job. It looks nice on paper but the man hours don’t match the manpower. Obvious pencil whipping is going on with the complicity of all parties involved from the rig owner to the client and the flag state.
NOTHING has changed but the BS since the Macondo blowout.

ChiefRob & tengineer,

I hear you. Clearly.

It is amazing - because a well staffed and funded (engineering) marine side doing the PM and providing accurate assessments of condition - WILL save a lot of money otherwise spent yard period over runs, low utiization or failed (OUCH) rig acceptance after the refit… Oh well, “they” know it and the Boss men say they want to fix it. … Ahem.

WELL…seems as tho I have hit a nerve here. But we all realize that nothing will change unless the corporate heads, much like the one qouted as saying" It’s a drilling company, not a shipping company" climb down out of their tree stands or overly jack-up pick-ups, and figure out that what WE professionally licensed folk are trying to do, or are capable of doing, is saving them money all around.

All the safety classes, injuries, maintenance cost over runs, failure to past Audits(like a fellow engineer had told me about, one company hadn’t past in 5 years) WHY…sorry but they had Mechanics who didn’t know or care about audits or regulatory bodies.

All I hope for is that some wise President or Vice President of one of these oil companies will see these threads, ponder on these thoughts for a bit and quite possibly pull in a few licensed personnel to the office, for a heart to heart conversation on how we think, we could assist them in improving their bottom line, safety records, and overall management structure onboard the drill rigs.

Technology has changed…and so must their outdated managerial concepts…Creating more paper work, and YES…pencil whipping PM’s, will NEVER increase revenue !!!

My apologies to those of you from the ole school drilling field…some of you are great guys to work alongside…but most have admitted that this technology is WAY over their heads, and they just as soon go back to the ole iron rough neck …THERE’S YOUR SIGN !!

I HAVE A DREAM …

I hear you IPfreely. While the situation may not be quite the same on my rig, I cannot argue with many of your comments. On a day to day basis, the engine room crew is treated with working respect - no jives about the position, work assignments, etc. - but there are always those digs of how the engineers only sit at the desk looking on the internet, how we have it so easy, etc. We get along with everyone, but there is always that underlying factor of “when the drill crew calls for something, they get it not now, but yesterday.” I have resigned to the fact that I am not a shipboard engineer in the traditional sense, but merely a supporting role in the bigger picture, different that the mentality I held while shipping. I accept this because of the money. When shipping companies start paying similar to drilling companies, and offer the other various perks of shorter rotations, internet and telephone access, etc. I will return to my previous career as 1st A/E. Granted, I may work for a drilling company that offers a salary and benefits on the higher end of the spectrum (based on the ever-present rumor mill on the rig), but even the lowest paying drillship operator beats most shipping companies.

Is there any wonder why AMO is having a difficult time recruiting new members, or even retaining current members, some with multiple years of experience? Everyone is leaving for the oil field because the money is there. The benefits are better. The level of BS is higher and the respect is lower, but these facts are all now well known and still people choose to follow the money. It’s human nature. I loved my career shipping out and would have stayed had the salary been within 20%, but my pay doubled by going offshore. Not to mention a 401k (pension plan in general) worth having was icing on the cake. While I forfeited the opportunity to make a phone call for another job if needed, that was a loss I was willing to accept. I never used that option while shipping commercial so why worry now? AMO continually berates the offshore industry as too cyclical, job today, unemployed tomorrow, when the truth is shipping is rarely different. Three years ago one prayed for ANY job with AMO and today you can have your pick. Every industry is cyclical to some extent, aside from morticians, garbage men, and air conditioning repairmen. Do any of those approach my salary and benefits as an engineer aboard a drillship? No. And, as noted above, one has many opportunities for advancement, be it rig mechanic, subsea, even electrician or IT. Your career is what you make of it, however cliche that sounds. Of course I wish my compensation package was more aligned with DPOs, or even other related positions mentioned previously. I cannot change this but it does not upset me - when comparing my job description and duties to previous positions as a shipboard engineer, my pay is much better and the working/living conditions are un-comparable.

But yes, I also wonder why I took two semesters of calculus I/II and differential equations. How does that apply to fixing a toilet?

The last company I shipped, the engineer exodus started with us retirees taking “early normal”. Then a few guys with no seniority left for the rigs for more money. Then with no joy in the next contract, loirtering around the gangway increased your chances of being trampled.

A friend was in a meeting with HR discussing the engineer shortage. He pointed to the low wages. One HR guy said “we can’t just throw money at them…we have to reach a happy medium”! To which he replied, “well, so far, the medium ain’t very happy”!

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;70102]Don’t dp semi submersible rigs need licensed engineers just like they need licensed deck officers? They are vessels after all…[/QUOTE]

almost all do with the exception of ENSCO…still don’t know why but it is what it is

Has anyone recently compiled a list of compensation by engine dept. positions amongst the major drilling contractors?

[QUOTE=Kougar018;78464]Has anyone recently compiled a list of compensation by engine dept. positions amongst the major drilling contractors?[/QUOTE]

I would be very interested to see that list as well. I have been contemplating the move to drilling for about a year now, and have been talking to alot of people trying to get as much information as possible. If the numbers people have been quoting me are correct there is a huge, I mean huge difference between what some of the drilling companies are paying. Most of the thirds I have spoken to are somewhat close at every company, but the chiefs I have spoken to quoted me numbers that are 100,000 bucks a year difference from what I would call top players to the bottom. One thing I found strange that one of the companies everyone bad mouths is no where near the bottom of the pay scale, atleast for engineers. I am sure I am getting some bogus information from some, but I would be very interested to see that list as well. I spoke to a couple people at one drilling outfit in particular and it was embarissing what they quoted me. The chiefs on a tug boat make more than that.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;78691]I would be very interested to see that list as well. I have been contemplating the move to drilling for about a year now, and have been talking to alot of people trying to get as much information as possible. If the numbers people have been quoting me are correct there is a huge, I mean huge difference between what some of the drilling companies are paying. Most of the thirds I have spoken to are somewhat close at every company, but the chiefs I have spoken to quoted me numbers that are 100,000 bucks a year difference from what I would call top players to the bottom. One thing I found strange that one of the companies everyone bad mouths is no where near the bottom of the pay scale, atleast for engineers. I am sure I am getting some bogus information from some, but I would be very interested to see that list as well. I spoke to a couple people at one drilling outfit in particular and it was embarissing what they quoted me. The chiefs on a tug boat make more than that.[/QUOTE]

You’re going to hate this answer…
There is a huge difference in what they pay even within the same company, sometimes. Some have an unusual way of computing pay, heck there’s even one company that figures their 401K contribution is part of your salary. The pay for most companies depends on where you work. If you are a US citizen working in the GOM you will not get a foreign premium like the Croatian or Brazilian working beside you. The US citizen would get 20-25% less in the US GOM at some companies. If you work in Nigeria and a few other dandy countries some companies pay extra on top of the normal foreign premium of 15+% of base pay. One company I know of has a 45% difference in pay for the same job for a US citizen working in the US as opposed to Nigeria. Some companies pay a retention bonus which can be a percentage of your base or a flat rate depending on your position. Some pay for all your benefits and some don’t. Some pay a stipend for travel expenses, some pay door to door, some don’t. It is really hard to make a comparison and honestly there are guys who really don’t know how much they are making it is all so confusing. Mexican companies are among the higher paying ones now, go figure. Remember that most of the time the chief/maintenance superintendent is also responsible for the drilling equipment so though his pay may seem high [200+/yr] he has at least double the responsibility of a box chief and nowhere near double the pay. A US 1st drillship engineer in the GOM would be about as well off working for an OSV company money wise and would have much less responsibility.
I know this doesn’t answer any of your questions but maybe it will give you some insight and provoke some answers.

[QUOTE=tengineer;78701]You’re going to hate this answer…
There is a huge difference in what they pay even within the same company, sometimes. Some have an unusual way of computing pay, heck there’s even one company that figures their 401K contribution is part of your salary. The pay for most companies depends on where you work. If you are a US citizen working in the GOM you will not get a foreign premium like the Croatian or Brazilian working beside you. The US citizen would get 20-25% less in the US GOM at some companies. If you work in Nigeria and a few other dandy countries some companies pay extra on top of the normal foreign premium of 15+% of base pay. One company I know of has a 45% difference in pay for the same job for a US citizen working in the US as opposed to Nigeria. Some companies pay a retention bonus which can be a percentage of your base or a flat rate depending on your position. Some pay for all your benefits and some don’t. Some pay a stipend for travel expenses, some pay door to door, some don’t. It is really hard to make a comparison and honestly there are guys who really don’t know how much they are making it is all so confusing. Mexican companies are among the higher paying ones now, go figure. Remember that most of the time the chief/maintenance superintendent is also responsible for the drilling equipment so though his pay may seem high [200+/yr] he has at least double the responsibility of a box chief and nowhere near double the pay. A US 1st drillship engineer in the GOM would be about as well off working for an OSV company money wise and would have much less responsibility.
I know this doesn’t answer any of your questions but maybe it will give you some insight and provoke some answers.[/QUOTE]

I appereciate the reply tengineer. I don’t hate that answer, I respect honesty. Most of that is what I have learned already from talking to people except for the Mexican tidbit. The only thing I see is that with the last round of raises in the gulf the mud boat engineers at some companies are already close to the 200 mark now if they are working 2 for 1. I know the benefits are far better than any of the boat companies, but you hit the nail on the head with the fact of 1000 times less BS to deal with on a boat. I always hear about how much money there is in drilling and I only find it true at a hand full of operations. I am in deep sea construction now, and the mud boats are not far behind me as far as money go, I just hate mud boats. I have 2 interviews scheduled for next time I am home with drilling compies, I will be very curious to see what they say. The last 2 I talked to I was shocked, I found out I am better off staying where I am. Even having to put up with the north sea safety rules.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;78708]I appereciate the reply tengineer. I don’t hate that answer, I respect honesty. Most of that is what I have learned already from talking to people except for the Mexican tidbit. The only thing I see is that with the last round of raises in the gulf the mud boat engineers at some companies are already close to the 200 mark now if they are working 2 for 1. I know the benefits are far better than any of the boat companies, but you hit the nail on the head with the fact of 1000 times less BS to deal with on a boat. I always hear about how much money there is in drilling and I only find it true at a hand full of operations. I am in deep sea construction now, and the mud boats are not far behind me as far as money go, I just hate mud boats. I have 2 interviews scheduled for next time I am home with drilling compies, I will be very curious to see what they say. The last 2 I talked to I was shocked, I found out I am better off staying where I am. Even having to put up with the north sea safety rules.[/QUOTE]

The safety rules from the north sea are coming the GOM way, not entirely bad in my opinion but that’s another issue. When you talk to the people who are doing the hiring you will see what I mean about the pay etc. As far as the OSV thing; for me 2/1 is no life, never was except for a brief time, I value my life and my family, besides I don’t like standing by like a go-fer. However, if you can believe what you read on gCaptain [who doesn’t?] a anchor boat guy should be making around $160/yr working even time. Since most if not all guys working as 1AE on drillships can work as chief on an anchor vessel or OSV that would be about a lateral move salary wise if you’re working in the GOM. Of course the OSV companies don’t even try to compete with the 401k and other benefits the drilling companies offer but it’s a trade off, an OSV 1AE doesn’t have to worry about 3 engine rooms, 6+thrusters and hotel service for over 150 people either.
Let us know how things go in your interviews and remember about the “give me that in writing please so I can talk to my wife about it” part.:slight_smile: