Transatlantic lines (TAL) current situation

In our country we have a problem with people overstating their visas or entering without them greater than twice the population of Norway. So yes, it would be a horror. There’d be abandoned ships in every major seaport.

1 Like

No. He did not miss his own post. And his post does not say what you claim.

Onviously, the US cannot surrender it’s sovereignty to the IMO and be required by London to admit entry of ALL foreign seafarers to the US. Nor should it. That does not mean that the US should not allow the entry of many foreign seafarers. It should and it does. The US has a visa waiver program where the citizens of many countries are allowed entry into the US without a visa. Citizens of other countries can and do apply for visas.

That is not to say that many of us necessarily agree with how the US government does a lot of things. Most of us do not agree with the TWIC Card and Homeland Security nonesense on the docks. Personally, I have not had much of a problem, but many other US mariners have.

Thanks tugsailor. Spoke with USCG last week they will give a ride to anyone wanting to get off (they are also keeping a closer watch on health, food and water). Couple of guys took them up on the offer. My son is determined to see it through barring health or safety issues.

3 Likes

If a launch is coming, why don’t the other nine crewmen get off too?

Not sure.
I’m not on the ship any more.
Some of the younger licensed guys are staying because they are getting time and a half towards their next upgrade.
I can almost understand that seeing the scarcity of 3AE and 2AE jobs out there.
As far as the upper level management jobs go, I can only attribute it to their professionalism.
I’m guessing once the ship is pierside and lines secured, they’ll be out of there too.

I

Ummmm…are they sure about that? I thought that only applies to offshore vessels.

Yes they are sure.
They stand 12 hour watches.
Or did anyway.

Maybe some of that rusted out seawater piping or a sea valve will fail, that might get the Icelandic asshole some attention from the State and Feds.

2 Likes

I wonder if the Feds are still pursuing a magic pipe case against TAL from the USCG inspection and seizure in Korea. That, and the legal fees that go with it, may be why the Owner is letting the company fold .

I’m going to assume these are either rhetorical questions or ones for the collected readers of this thread.
If they are for me, I don’t know the answers.
I can show you a copy of my discharge if you like.

I just looked it up… Per 46CFR10.107 (which defines a ‘day’ for seatime purposes) and 46CFR15.705 (which says a watch must be broken up into 3 sections with some listed exceptions), I don’t think a ship of that size and in that trade will qualify for the 2 watch system.

Then again, I’m not a USCG lawyer so maybe Mr Cavo or someone else in the know can chime in.

I wouldn’t stick around for double sea time if I wasn’t getting paid. And who do they expect to give them a sea letter or sign their discharge paper? The captain who wanted them to sign forgien articles?

2 Likes

There are plenty of good jobs for 3AEs and 2AEs, but they aren’t onboard ships.

C. Captain, You know how this works. Use your political connections to get a contract for your corporation via campaign contributions [bribes] . Take your management salary from the top and put it in your personal bank account. You, the CEO, are just an employee drawing a very large salary. Tell the employees that as CEO you have no money left available to maintain the vessel. The investors didn’t give enough. [you need to leave out how much you are paying yourself] The mariners can leave or be replaced, because as CEO it makes no difference to you as you are still being paid well since you pay yourself. When even the USCG finally smells the stench and shuts down the operation, you as CEO are still good. You have your millions in salary and management fees paid by the “company” you invented. The “company” goes bankrupt, leaves dumbass creditors and gullible crew with no money. It’s the free market ! Works great ! Rinse and repeat.

1 Like

I imagine it is particularly gratifying that the dream is being lived by a fellow Scandinavian…

good ol’ US of A…the land of opportunity for anyone can get rich through exploitation

Yes, I’m a big fan of Scandinavians that make it big and stays in USA. After a time in the States, they are tainted. Røkke case in point.

Where everyone is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

Leave her, Johnny
Oh the times was hard and the wages low
Leave her, Johnny, leave her
And the grub was bad and the gales did blow
And it’s time for us to leave her
Leave her, Johnny, leave her
Oh, leave her, Johnny, leave her
For the voyage is done and the winds do blow
And it’s time for us to leave her
I thought I heard the Old Man say
You can go ashore and take your pay
Oh her stern was foul and the voyage was long
The winds was bad and the gales was strong
And we’ll leave her tight and we’ll leave her trim
And heave the hungry packet in
Oh, leave her, Johnny, leave her with a grin
For there’s many a worser we’ve sailed in
And now it’s time to say goodbye
For the old pierhead’s a-drawing nigh

7 Likes

Kjell was the kind of man he is long before he came to the US. A product of Norwegian society. It was super generous Norwegian government backed financing that enabled him to make it big in the US. It was his US lawyers and US profits that then enabled him to do Norway’s first hostile takeover of a corporation and make it even bigger in Norway.

That’s not exactly the whole story now, is it? :slight_smile: If so, it’s truly a rags to riches story.

seems pretty accurate to me