Transatlantic lines (TAL) current situation

My son has been onboard Transatlantic since early June. Recent MMA grad 3A/E. Paid once. Busted butt more than once trying to address 835 issues. Promised every Friday, payday Monday. Fortunately he could stay and accumulate hours as he doesn’t have bills. Feel for the husbands and fathers hurt by this fiasco. Had some contact with DOL, but nothing substantial from them yet. Conn. States Attorney office looking into, but with the government contracts, maybe a federal case. Have started drafting letters to Connecticut politicians that have accepted money from Gun… (add your own expletives), letting them know where the money for their campaigns actually came from. Next would be that Greenwich charities he seems to be able to support financially. Breaks my heart knowing all the work my son put into pursuing this career; and now hearing him say it was a mistake. Tough kid, I’m sure he will bounce back. Maybe the system will work for the small guys on this one. Thanks for all the great insight and information that you are sharing on this site. This landlubber is very appreciative.

Really? I’ve read the whole thread and have seen no such thing.

3aedad. I suggest that you contact your son and get the name of the launch service that wants $230 to pick the boys up and take them ashore. Then you can call them with a credit card and pay the $230.

If coming up with $230 is truly a problem for you, PM me and I’ll see what I can do.

You missed your own post then??

Four more crew members departing today at 1700 PST leaving the ship with nine people on board.
Four in the engine dept and five in deck.
The four leaving have paid their own way.
Supposedly they have plane tickets.
Or at least itineraries

In our country we have a problem with people overstating their visas or entering without them greater than twice the population of Norway. So yes, it would be a horror. There’d be abandoned ships in every major seaport.

Refuting Ombugge's left wing rhetoric

No. He did not miss his own post. And his post does not say what you claim.

Onviously, the US cannot surrender it’s sovereignty to the IMO and be required by London to admit entry of ALL foreign seafarers to the US. Nor should it. That does not mean that the US should not allow the entry of many foreign seafarers. It should and it does. The US has a visa waiver program where the citizens of many countries are allowed entry into the US without a visa. Citizens of other countries can and do apply for visas.

That is not to say that many of us necessarily agree with how the US government does a lot of things. Most of us do not agree with the TWIC Card and Homeland Security nonesense on the docks. Personally, I have not had much of a problem, but many other US mariners have.

Thanks tugsailor. Spoke with USCG last week they will give a ride to anyone wanting to get off (they are also keeping a closer watch on health, food and water). Couple of guys took them up on the offer. My son is determined to see it through barring health or safety issues.

If a launch is coming, why don’t the other nine crewmen get off too?

Not sure.
I’m not on the ship any more.
Some of the younger licensed guys are staying because they are getting time and a half towards their next upgrade.
I can almost understand that seeing the scarcity of 3AE and 2AE jobs out there.
As far as the upper level management jobs go, I can only attribute it to their professionalism.
I’m guessing once the ship is pierside and lines secured, they’ll be out of there too.

I

What does he mean by “see it through” ? See what through? It’s over.

TAL has made a deal to sell its Greenwich office to a Pre-school. The City just approved the change of use. TAL has been sued by creditors, including the crew’s. One of the company’s ships (and cargo) has been arrested with over $500,000 in claims against it. It’s just a question of time until the Transatlantic is either arrested for its debts, or declared an abandoned vessel by the Captain of the Port and taken into custody. As soon as the answer is due to the lawsuits, TAL will file for bankruptcy because it cannot afford the legal fees to defend itself.

What is there to see through? Take it from someone who has been through similar situations, tell your son to run, run fast, and run now.

Ummmm…are they sure about that? I thought that only applies to offshore vessels.

Yes they are sure.
They stand 12 hour watches.
Or did anyway.

Who do they think is going to write them a seatime letter. They guy that was doing seatime letters probably isn’t being paid either. He’s probably locked out of the office and collecting unemployment .

Do they think that the moron captain that was trying to get the crew to sign foreign articles yesterday, is now going to issue them a USCG Discharge? Even, if he does issues a discharge, there is no one at the company office to turn the copies in to the USCG. Not to mention that time served on an an anchored ship that has had its certificates pulled does not qualify as seatime.

What is MEBAs excuse for abandoning the crew?

Did anyone contact the Seamen’s Center for help?

Maybe some of that rusted out seawater piping or a sea valve will fail, that might get the Icelandic asshole some attention from the State and Feds.

I wonder if the Feds are still pursuing a magic pipe case against TAL from the USCG inspection and seizure in Korea. That, and the legal fees that go with it, may be why the Owner is letting the company fold .

I’m going to assume these are either rhetorical questions or ones for the collected readers of this thread.
If they are for me, I don’t know the answers.
I can show you a copy of my discharge if you like.

I just looked it up… Per 46CFR10.107 (which defines a ‘day’ for seatime purposes) and 46CFR15.705 (which says a watch must be broken up into 3 sections with some listed exceptions), I don’t think a ship of that size and in that trade will qualify for the 2 watch system.

Then again, I’m not a USCG lawyer so maybe Mr Cavo or someone else in the know can chime in.

I wouldn’t stick around for double sea time if I wasn’t getting paid. And who do they expect to give them a sea letter or sign their discharge paper? The captain who wanted them to sign forgien articles?

There are plenty of good jobs for 3AEs and 2AEs, but they aren’t onboard ships.