Training options for transition to 3rd asst engineer from ABET mechanical engineer

Thank you in advance for the advice.

What options do I have to obtain requirements to sit for the 3rd Asst engineer exam and earn the required STCW endorsements in the quickest most efficient way possible?

I’m not against going back to school, but I’d like to keep it at a maximum of 1.5 years for an all-in program. Is it possible to sail to get the sea-time and do an intense STCW school? Is there a type of grad-school or transition program at the academies or other schools that is designed for people like me?

I have a mechanical engineer degree from ABET school, USA Born, 10 years experience in power plants in operation, heavy maintenance (steam turbine-generator overhauls), and training operators. Experience on steam turbines, gas turbine, and medium and slow speed 2 stroke 40MW diesels.

My last 5 years has been specifically steam turbine-generator outages and operational troubleshooting. I’m looking to do a slight career shift and desire to get my 3rd asst engineer unlimited and required STCW endorsements. So many steam turbines power plants have been shut down in the USA and I’m just looking for a change. I’m used to living on the road for work and doing 12 hour days for 3+ months. I don’t want to work in an office 9-5.

With the ABET mech eng degree, I need 6months of engine room time.

I also need the STCW endorsements to meet OICEW. Is it possible to sail as a 3rd AE without OICEW? I’ve tried to do my homework, but the rules are confusing.

In accordance with 46 CFR 11.329(a) and paragraph 2.2 through 2.5 of STCW
Regulation III/1, an applicant
for an STCW endorsement as OICEW shall be not less than
18 years of age and must provide sati
sfactory evidence of the following:
1)
Service as follows:
i)
Thirty-six months of seagoing serv
ice in the engine department; or
ii)
Successful completion of an approve
d training program that includes a
combination of workshop skills training
and seagoing service of not less than
12 months, and that meets the requireme
nts of Section A-III/1 of the STCW
Code;

You can sail as 3A/E without OICEW, but only domestic routes and that really limits you.

Why not get your basic credential and sail until you get the time you need? There is no substitute for experience.

I’m gonna tell you, a ship is whole different animal from a land based power plant.

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;180305]What options do I have to obtain requirements to sit for the 3rd Asst engineer exam and earn the required STCW endorsements in the quickest most efficient way possible? I’m not against going back to school, but I’d like to keep it at a maximum of 1.5 years for an all-in program. [/QUOTE]

There is no “quick” way to the STCW OICEW endorsement. Iyt is not possible to do it in 1.5 years, unless you already have at least that much sea service in the engine department. OICEW requires either 3 years of sea sewrvice and several hundred hours of Coast Guard approvedf courses, or completion of an approved program with at least one year of sea service and workshop skill traioning. Right now, the only such programs in the US are the (4-year) maritime academies.

I’m not looking for “quick”, I just want to be efficient. After researching on this forum, I’ve contacted some of the licesning consultants and they have been very helpful. All have worked with people in my position. The first step would be to get the 180days as entry level or QMED. My degree and experience may help. Then, sit for the 3rd A/E exam and sail domestically and attack the STCW for OICEW.

This is just what I was told (don’t shoot the messenger), but it seems the 3 years sea service and hundreds of courses for STCW OICEW is written for those that start with no experience.

Regardless, the takeaway is seek the services of a professional license consultant.

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;180376]I’m not looking for “quick”, I just want to be efficient. After researching on this forum, I’ve contacted some of the licesning consultants and they have been very helpful. All have worked with people in my position. The first step would be to get the 180days as entry level or QMED. My degree and experience may help. Then, sit for the 3rd A/E exam and sail domestically and attack the STCW for OICEW.

This is just what I was told (don’t shoot the messenger), but it seems the 3 years sea service and hundreds of courses for STCW OICEW is written for those that start with no experience.

Regardless, the takeaway is seek the services of a professional license consultant.[/QUOTE]

Understood. Looking at the checklist on the NMC website, you are probably on target, but the money you spend on a consultant to be sure your bases are covered would be worth it.

Look at MSC. You can pick up time there very quickly.

MSC only has openings for officers right now, but I will keep an eye on them as I’ve seen in the past them looking for QMED. NOAA has some unlicensed openings, but you mentioned be careful of HP limitations.

I never would’ve known that it MAY be possible to get the USCG to independently evaluate related experience…this may be an unlikely chance, but it’s worth a shot.

For giggles, I checked out mass maritime’s site regarding meeting STCW for OICEW, and they have the curriculum laid out with classes and labs. “At the end of this class, you will be able to turn on/off an air compressor”. “Intro to control systems/PID loops”. “Discuss valves and types of pumps”. This is what I would have to show that I have experience doing with my 10 years in the power industry.