Too many captains aboard?

The significant other and I, both boat-people for work and pleasure, seem to really butt heads when pleasure boating. Anyone have success tips for boating when there are too many captains aboard?

Port and starboard

Their is only one captain and she knows it is her. You should know this if you want to be happy.

Now if you want to fish and she wants to suntan in the bay, that’s a tough one. I would just go with a friend and answer the question of why I went out on someone elses boat when I already have one while cooking the fish.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;88337]Their is only one captain and she knows it is her. You should know this if you want to be happy.

Now if you want to fish and she wants to suntan in the bay, that’s a tough one. I would just go with a friend and answer the question of why I went out on someone elses boat when I already have one while cooking the fish.[/QUOTE]

I am the she! He has the large tonnage rating. I own the boat. Herein lies the conundrum.

It’s your boat…you’re the Master. Good luck!

[QUOTE=leigh;88350]I am the she! He has the large tonnage rating. I own the boat. Herein lies the conundrum.[/QUOTE]

Ha, your boat you the master. His boat, you the master.

Jeez, you really got a problem miss/sir

[QUOTE=leigh;88332]The significant other and I, both boat-people for work and pleasure, seem to really butt heads when pleasure boating. Anyone have success tips for boating when there are too many captains aboard?[/QUOTE]

Just do what he tells you and everything will be perfect.

Off hand I wish I had this problem! I would love to have a pleasurable day out on the boat where I could let my guard down and relax. BUT, this is YOUR boat right??? If your significant other doesn’t measure up you either find a different boat or…

Is there a galley? If so, then worry about your duties, let him run the boat, and there should be no problems.

[QUOTE=leigh;88350]I am the she! He has the large tonnage rating. I own the boat. Herein lies the conundrum.[/QUOTE]

I have my Unlimited, but if I was lucky enough to have Laura Dekker onboard a sailboat, I would defer to her skill set and just enjoy the cruise. No conundrum, your boat, your the captain. The point I’m trying to make is for small sailing boats, it is the experience, not the license rating.

My vote, you leigh are the undisputed captain.

If he’s smart, he’ll leave his license at home, drink cold beer, do the dishes, and let you run the boat.

He’s the Captain but you’re the Admiral!

If the captain ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy, if mama ain’t happy YOU ain’t happy!!! Be happy don’t worry… :smiley:

I’ve worked on a few boats & the Chief Eng thought he ran the boat.

[QUOTE=Tugted;89112]I’ve worked on a few boats & the Chief Eng thought he ran the boat.[/QUOTE]
What’s your point??lol!

You could always do the two good old classic ways to determin who’s the captain. First and classic one; the one who fucks up first, looses. The second is a bit more dodgy, duel! Grab your stuff and engard! Then the third way which is a cheat! Place a coin under the mast, no mast? Make one! Its an old thing for good luck and good weather wherever the ship…boat sails, but say its a sign that makes you captain

For me it’s no different from the owner/captain dynamic aboard commercial ships. I’m the captain of my boat and the give orders (mostly to myself considering the kids are about as useful as union AB’s during break and it’s the owners prerogative not to get her hands dirty ;)) but I’m fully aware that if the owner is unhappy or her “requests” go unanswered my days cruising the pacific are numbered.

[QUOTE=Windjammer;88510]If he’s smart, he’ll leave his license at home, drink cold beer, do the dishes, and let you run the boat.[/QUOTE]

If he was smart he wouldn’t have bought a boat in the first place.

Remember: if it flies, floats, or fornicates then it’s always better to lease and avoid the “cost of ownership.” :wink:

[QUOTE=“john;89704”]

If he was smart he wouldn’t have bought a boat in the first place.

Remember: if it flies, floats, or fornicates then it’s always better to lease and avoid the “cost of ownership.” ;)[/QUOTE]

Thats great. I remember my father told me that all my life, worded a bit differently though.