Have a question?

I need some help? I am working on a vessel as a master but the other captain onboard only has a mates license. My question is. When im asleep and he’s at the wheel am i still liable for his actions? Can some of u older more seasoned people in light me on this. Thanks ahead of time.

[QUOTE=B_trosclair;109767]I need some help? I am working on a vessel as a master but the other captain onboard only has a mates license. My question is. When im asleep and he’s at the wheel am i still liable for his actions? Can some of u older more seasoned people in light me on this. Thanks ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

If you are the master of the vessel, it doesn’t matter what licenses the other people have, you will ultimately be responsible for the vessel.

[QUOTE=B_trosclair;109767]I need some help? I am working on a vessel as a master but the other captain onboard only has a mates license. My question is. When im asleep and he’s at the wheel am i still liable for his actions? Can some of u older more seasoned people in light me on this. Thanks ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

It’s your job to train and keep an eye on your mate. You are on call for him anytime he is in doubt. It’s better to have him call you to early than too late.

If you’re the master how is the other guy a captain?

Is this a trick question?

It’s amazing what a few simple sentences can tell the reader about about the writer.

2nd captain?!?!?

[QUOTE=z-drive;109774]If you’re the master how is the other guy a captain?[/QUOTE]

You know how it is at a bank everyone above doorman is a Vice President.

Down in the Gulf everyone in the wheelhouse is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th “captain”

Why doesn’t the USCG Come out with a 1-4th captains license rather than “mate?”

Yes your assistant engineer is actually the "second chief. "

I was just asking bc many people i talk too have too me that. If im running ( first captain) and other people in the wheelhouse is a mate im 100% liable for his actions. But if he wholes a master license same as mine license. Then we are equal. Bc coast guard doesnt look at frist, second etc. If your a master and at the wheel u are solely responseable for ur own actions. Am i understanding this right are am i not?

You laugh but I had a guy telling people he was my assistant chief.

Not really, it depends who the master is on the log, there can’t be two, there has to be someone in charge, cannot be two people equally in charge. Maybe a legal expert can chime in but ultimately someone has to be in command. I have a license “bigger” than most of the captains I sail with but they are the captain, I am the mate, they are ultimately in change of the vessel even when off watch.

The guy who signs the log next to Master is the master. Where I work senior captain is Master ,Jr Captain is called a pilot. I don’t know how the C.G. Looks at it but company RCP says each guy is responsible for his watch. The company considers both guys captains and we don’t run mates here , guys who have mates licenses we train in the wheel house, but do not work alone.

You need to talk with your company. I can’t believe between you and your company someone has not outlined your duties and responsibilities. I’m curious how you made it to the level of " master" ( or boat operator) and this topic not be covered. ( that’s a rhetorical question by the way). I’m amazed you could sleep at all not knowing where your responsibility ended.

Then why does the industry bother with standing orders/night orders etc?

On the east coast the mate is responsible for his watch, although the master is responsible for the mate carrying out his duties. When shit happens it depends what and how it happened in determining to what degree THE captain/master is responsible. Often they have a masters license on both watch but one is in charge, the other is his subordinate and with that comes the proportional responsibility.

I’ve Been in a ambiguous situation before; you need to ask the office who is ultimately in charge and get it in writing, email if you will. Then write up some standing orders to put that policy into action.

There is ONE appropriately licensed “Master” assigned at all times, and listed on the station bill as such. This position/person should be clearly identified by the company/owner, and holds the overall responsibility for all shipboard operations while assigned.

All other officers, with an equal or higher license, not serving as “Master”, should be listed as “Mate” on the station bill, regardless if they are considered relief, 3rd, or 4th Captain by the company. Each licensed officer that is considered OICNW of that particular watch, holds a certain ammount of responsibility, however, the overall responsibility falls to the “Master”, whether on/off watch.

There is a big difference between the vessel specific USCG COI manning requiments, and what the company/client requires for daily operations, which is why you will find 3 or 4 Captains on board, all with a license high enough to serve as Master, but not truly filling the role.

You will find this true with most other positions on board as well, depending on the company/client/operation. Just compare your COI to your actuall manning and you’ll see the difference.

You mean “assistant to the chief”