Tips for steward/housekeeping jobs

Looking to help a friend down on her luck who works housekeeping jobs in new york city. She said she already applied to major cruise ship companies.
She has 5 years experience but is esssentially completely green to working on boats, BUT she is completely enthusiastic about the chance to work.

I am wondering what smaller companies there may be, or contractor companies that work for major companies like Transocean.

I guess she would need a MMD eventually…

Any help much appreciated!

I would think she would need a TWIC and a MMD initially.

Maybe she can try NCLA, Norwegian Cruise Lines America, they are always looking for people. Or American Cruise Lines, American Caribbean Cruise Lines, Cruise West, Military Sealift Command, I think she would really need a TWIC & MMC for most of these though.

Down here in the bayou there are catering companies that provide vessels w/ stewards…these stewards usually have no z cards and do not need them, as they are not part of the vessels COI.

I have a cook aboard the vessel now, who has no credentials…(TWIC only)…We use Sodexo to supply stewards, but there are other companies that are “3rd Party” to Boat companies.

HTH

ART Catering and Aramark are regularly hiring for rig steward jobs.

have her send me an email to chefken@chefken.com

if she is interested in working on private yachts as a stewardess, she would be based out of florida and get to travel tot he bahamas, caribbean, new england, west coast US mediterrian,.,. i spent 11 eyars as a chef doing that and still have contacts, several crew agencies that the BOAT pay a fee NOT the crew member, might take a day or so to get back to her as offshore now,make sure she puts something in teh SUBJECT line of the email as I get lots of junk mail, pay is good and lots of fun:)

MSC is opening SU soon

Wow! Thanks for the help.
I’m glad there are alternatives to a TWIC/MMD route as that is so time consuming and time is money, unless the company would pay down the line or allow the employee to work/train and then afford the cert’s.

I’m not sure but is there a deadline in the future for all 3rd party personnel to get a TWIC?

You aren’t getting on any of our vessels w/o TWIC. I’m pretty sure that TWIC is fully implemented nationwide, although how strictly enforced is another discussion.

I would say TWIC is a minimum necessity to obtain while looking for vessel work.

twic is not needed for private yachting,mmd is not needed for private yachting, only a passport

I thought TWIC’s were need to get into some ports nowadays?

[quote=Conspearasea;26584]You aren’t getting on any of our vessels w/o TWIC. I’m pretty sure that TWIC is fully implemented nationwide, although how strictly enforced is another discussion.

I would say TWIC is a minimum necessity to obtain while looking for vessel work.[/quote]

I’m sure that in a CFR somewhere there is a point where you don’t need a TWIC. Obviously if you are fishing with your buddies you dont need a TWIC. But what if you are working as a steward aboard a seasonal fishing boat.

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to inquire at each company’s security policy.

My references are for “commercial vessels” running as Inspected.

Of course the yachtie world and fishing world are going to be something completely different…I guess I tend to forget the world “outside” of what most of the members on here seem to be doing, the commercial sector( which is TWIC implemented )