Getting Started in Maritime Industry

Looking for work as OS or steward anywhere in the world, preferably far away from where I’m located (NYC), seasonal or other. Many years experience in hotel industry/housekeeping, have recently renewed US Passport and TWIC in progress (enrolled 1 week ago). I would like to get MMD but the fees seem too much for me. Do any companies offer assistance with MMD?
Any advice or guidance appreciated for a young lady with salt in her blood, wanting to see the world by sea and work hard for it. Thanks!

Invest in the MMC (Merchant Mariner Credential). You need one to get the job and there’s no one out there (including Military Sealift Command (MSC)) that’s going to talk to you until you have the paperwork in order. Once you have the paperwork in order, MSC would definitely be a place to look if you are not adverse to the steward’s department.

You could always apply to one of the catering companies that service the offshore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. You wouldn’t need an MMD. Sodexo is the one that the company I work for uses. PM me your experience and I will ask the camp boss ( offshore catering supervisor) what route you would need to take.

I find the fees for living in “NYC” to be to much for me!,
and the “MMC” fee is far cheaper by comparison!
but seriously!,
you will need a TWIC first before you can apply for an "MMC"
as stated above, no one will even talk to you without your seaman or (seawomans) documents in order!
also it is a very bad time to get a job on land or sea at the moment with the economy as it isright now!
so you will be on the beach job searching for a very long time, unless you get very lucky!
but, good luck with your seaman’s credential endeavor!

Thanks so much guys, I’m actually looking at Sodexo among others. A friend in the industry tells me it’s a good time to apply. I’ve got my TWIC and am in the process of applying for MMC. Does anyone know what kind of recommendation letters I’ll need for entry-level document? I hope former/current employers and maritime-employed friends are sufficient.

Also, I have to add, any smart New Yorker knows how to live cheap here!

[QUOTE=saltine84;62492]Thanks so much guys, I’m actually looking at Sodexo among others. A friend in the industry tells me it’s a good time to apply. I’ve got my TWIC and am in the process of applying for MMC. Does anyone know what kind of recommendation letters I’ll need for entry-level document? I hope former/current employers and maritime-employed friends are sufficient.

Also, I have to add, any smart New Yorker knows how to live cheap here![/QUOTE]You ain’t kidding about living cheap in NYC. four of us went to dinner at Patsy’s (3rd Ave at 34th ST). Nice italian dinner with four glasses of wine for $115 plus tip. Not bad.

you don’t need any special people for reccs. It only costs about 160 bucks for the MMD. You don’t need any special training to get an Ordinary seaman MMD. BUT without further training you REALLY limit your hiring choices. The trick is getting hired by a company that will then send you for more training.

You have to realize that you will become the recipient of unwanted attention by a bunch of lonely, self centered, egotistical seamen who have been away from ‘normal’ human interaction for days, weeks sometimes months??? Normal is just what it seems. But what goes on in a mans mind when stuck on a boat/rig/in seclusion for 30 days… and you are going to be right there in the thick of it. Some women can handle it quite well. Most can’t and leave. my 2cents worth.

He is right and I’ll add, if you can’t hump lines up and down the deck without waking up the off watch deckhand you will be cutting into the little bit of sleep he gets. He will not be kind to you for that.

I can put you in touch with someone who can put you to work on small US flagged cruise vessels on the west coast. Work load is about the same as in offshore catering but you get to be in a tip pool and see much more enjoyable scenery that a bunch of rigs all over the place and work with people more pleasant that a bunch of Copenhagen dipping morons. PM me if interested.

Thanks cappy I am hoping to get lucky with training and make up for lack of experience with enthusiasm…also reassuring to know about the recommendations. I’m prepared for a male-dominated industry, and expect a bit of teasing or harassment. Also very accustomed to tight conditions (boarding house) and solitude lately. Living in the city for 8 years and never being attacked is a good start …

good luck for your training. You might get a useful seaman material here in the future at SEAMAN TRANING

Hi cajaya I was hoping to hear from a girl. In the spring I went ahead and got an entry-level MMC so hopefully it will count for something. A friend pointed me to find-a-crew with some success and I will check out crewfinders. Thanks a lot!

saltine, if you are in NYC go to the Chelsea docks there are a bunch of yachts there. Maybe you can talk to a crew member. A friend of mine just quit her job on one (Utopia III) maybe they still have an open spot.

Try the North Cove marina as well. There weren’t any gates or fences to keep you off the docks last time I stayed there.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention. You don’t need an MMC for most yachts because most of them are flagged in the Camen Islands or some other non US territory place.

[QUOTE=saltine84;72179]Hi cajaya I was hoping to hear from a girl. In the spring I went ahead and got an entry-level MMC so hopefully it will count for something. A friend pointed me to find-a-crew with some success and I will check out crewfinders. Thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

But most yachts will want BST - STCW 95. If you google it you should find a school or course near by.