The path from dock rat to chief engineer

I’m a dock rat that just barely managed to scurry through the hawsepipe and land myself on as vessel. My goal is to one day be a big rat and serve as chief engineer. At what point in the game should I start to concern myself with the tonnage of the vessels that I serve on? Immediately or later down the road? Also at what point should I start to prepare myself to accomplish the prerequisites to becoming an assisstant engineer? While I’m a QMED or while I’m still a wiper?

Worry more about horsepower than tonnage. Also, learn as much as you can whenever you can. There is no set timeline for when you should be learning specific things. Don’t be so concerned with what you need to do to go from Qmed to Chief, worry more about getting your 3rd A/E license. That should be your next goal after qmed. That’s also about 3-5 years of sailing pretty steady in the future. Go to the USCG website and look at the checklist that is needed for getting a 3rd’s license.

[QUOTE=Kingrobby;116959]Worry more about horsepower than tonnage. Also, learn as much as you can whenever you can. There is no set timeline for when you should be learning specific things. Don’t be so concerned with what you need to do to go from Qmed to Chief, worry more about getting your 3rd A/E license. That should be your next goal after qmed. That’s also about 3-5 years of sailing pretty steady in the future. Go to the USCG website and look at the checklist that is needed for getting a 3rd’s license.[/QUOTE]

What is the typical horsepower of the offshore vessels in LA?

There isn’t really a typical horsepower out here. The boats that are considered older by today’s standards can be below 4000hp, and almost anything that is being built now and within the last few years is above 4000hp. Supply boats of the larger scale are generally lower than 10,000hp, and once you start getting up into the anchor boats and construction boats, they can be well over 10,000hp. Drillships are a whole other story. Maybe someone else can give some info in regards to them.

I only know the tug side of things, but most companies are looking for a DDE any HP or a chief limited, which still takes quite a while to get. Most of the newer atb’s are 6k-7k hp, but lower tonnage, which will limit you to a “limited license”.

I would say for the first year it doesn’t really matter how much HP you deal with as long as it is over 1,000hp. You’re going to need half a year of seatime just to get your QMED, then your HP rating for your DDE’s and 3rd A/E is going to be based off a formula that I can’t remember at this moment. Should come up in a search or be on those USCG Checklists. In my opinion more is definitely better, but there are caveats to everything. Also, you need to be aware of propulsion HP vs total rated engine HP. My one research boat had total engine HP of around 6,000hp, but only 3,000hp from the electric drives.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;116969]but lower tonnage, which will limit you to a “limited license”.[/QUOTE]’

Tonnage is only a limiting factor due to manning practices, not because of service requirements to get a license. There are no tonnage requirements on sea service for enginer licenses, only on the authority to use the license (Chief Engineer Limited cannot work over 1600 GRT, DDE is limited to 500 GRT). What may be limiting is that you cannot go from unlicensed to any “unlimited” license other than 3rd Assitant, but you can go directly from unlicensed to Chief Engineer-Limited or DDE. Even if you get 3rd AE, you probably can’t advance it on a lower tonnage vessel as they often don’t carry an engineer other than the Chief Limited or DDE. Sio there’s no opportunity tio use a 3rd AE license and upgrade it. So the limitation for tonnage is

DDE horsepower is based upon sea service, not the horsepower of the vessel in which you served, meaning you can get a DDE unlimited with having never served on anything greater than a vessel that has 1000hp and 100 tons. Check CFR 46 11.524. Which is completely different than the requirements for your 3rd AE unlimited which is based on the horsepower which you served on which is covered in CFR46 11.503 (horsepower limitations) When you go to the CFR website you will also see part 11.505 which is a diagram showing the engine officer license structure which is helpful. Just try to work on the largest possible vessels with the most horsepower that you can in order to get the largest license you can. The unlimited licenses(not meaning DDEs) obviously take the most sea time and are the hardest to obtain but will enable you to work on a wider variety of vessels and are only limited by your propulsion modes(steam,motor,gas turbine) but if you get all 3 propulsion modes then you can sail on anything floating, from a tug to a super tanker and will not be beholden to any one industry. Try to keep familiar with the CFR, Marine Safety Manual, and the USCG website between those you’ll be able to navigate your career pretty well. Getting answers from other people can sometimes lead you astray out here, kind of like the blind leading the concuss.

• Updated - - -

DDE horsepower is based upon sea service, not the horsepower of the vessel in which you served, meaning you can get a DDE unlimited with having never served on anything greater than a vessel that has 1000hp and 100 tons. Check CFR 46 11.524. Which is completely different than the requirements for your 3rd AE unlimited which is based on the horsepower which you served on which is covered in CFR46 11.503 (horsepower limitations) When you go to the CFR website you will also see part 11.505 which is a diagram showing the engine officer license structure which is helpful. Just try to work on the largest possible vessels with the most horsepower that you can in order to get the largest license you can. The unlimited licenses(not meaning DDEs) obviously take the most sea time and are the hardest to obtain but will enable you to work on a wider variety of vessels and are only limited by your propulsion modes(steam,motor,gas turbine) but if you get all 3 propulsion modes then you can sail on anything floating, from a tug to a super tanker and will not be beholden to any one industry. Try to keep familiar with the CFR, Marine Safety Manual, and the USCG website between those you’ll be able to navigate your career pretty well. Getting answers from other people can sometimes lead you astray out here, kind of like the blind leading the concuss.

• Updated - - -

sorry for the double post, I would lie and say it was the computer’s fault, but it was definitely operator error.

Oregonblitzkrieg, you came here asking for advice on how to get a job, so it’s only fair for you to now please share how you got the job?

The break point for a lot of guys I talk to is 4000+ hp, whatever the tonnage. As I read it, that hp will get you to DDE Unl, 3AE limited and Chief, OSV. But I don’t work downstairs, what do I know?

So, anyone want to talk baseball?

[QUOTE=MariaW;117536]Oregonblitzkrieg, you came here asking for advice on how to get a job, so it’s only fair for you to now please share how you got the job?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t got a job yet, haven’t been to LA. I was posing a hypothetical question. I will post if I get one. I’m still weighing the risks of just waiting a year for my spec home to sell then going to Seattle Maritime Acadamey or risking several thousand dollars to get my basic training and troll around LA for 1 or 2 weeks looking for work.

[QUOTE=oregonblitzkrieg;117591]I haven’t got a job yet, haven’t been to LA. I was posing a hypothetical question. I will post if I get one. I’m still weighing the risks of just waiting a year for my spec home to sell then going to Seattle Maritime Acadamey or risking several thousand dollars to get my basic training and troll around LA for 1 or 2 weeks looking for work.[/QUOTE]

Well a word of advice, don’t go to Louisiana voice your opinions about LSU or the SEC. You’ll surely being wasting your time and money then.:wink:

Lost…personally pony up get the training and it will pay off in spades

Any paperwork you can pick up, even just the BST will benefit you. I still see guys whine over classes or endorsements because the company wont pay for them, your only helping yourself. Doesnt take much effort out here to separate yourself from the “all talk” guys.

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;117594]Well a word of advice, don’t go to Louisiana voice your opinions about LSU or the SEC. You’ll surely being wasting your time and money then.;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I’m smart enough to lay low in LSU country, even though they’re just a bunch of trumped up house cats.

Yep beat y’all down,and jealousy get you no were.

It may not be the best advice, but get a job on an inland tug or maybe even a dinner boat and use that money to pay for your classes

Oh, my friend. You’ll go far with that attitude. You’re really sure that the Deep South is where you want to work. Maybe you should stay back in the the PNW.

[QUOTE=captrob;117647]Oh, my friend. You’ll go far with that attitude. You’re really sure that the Deep South is where you want to work. Maybe you should stay back in the the PNW.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been to 42 countries and have seen stranger things than anything the Deep South could throw at me.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;117639]It may not be the best advice, but get a job on an inland tug or maybe even a dinner boat and use that money to pay for your classes[/QUOTE]

I looked into Kirby Marine and in my research came across a few articles about them being sued by former employees that were exposed to benzine and ended up getting sick. That kind of spooked me.

[QUOTE=longcod69;117636]Yep beat y’all down,and jealousy get you no were.[/QUOTE]

You’re wearing an Alabama shirt yet you’re a LSU fan? I don’t get the SEC mascots. Elephants and tigers, the only one that makes sense is the gator. Or is it you guys just want to appear tougher than you actually are?