The Nautical Institute's new DP scheme and re-validation of DP certificates

[I][B]Via the Nautical Institute:[/B][/I]

The review of the DP Operator training scheme has concluded. Documentation explaining the new scheme will be available from March 2014 and communicated through DPTEG stakeholders.

Re-validation of DP certificates

Due to the delay in finalising the new scheme, The Nautical Institute is postponing the re-validation of DP Operator certificates to January 2015. In order to revalidate your DP Certificate you must have 150 days of DP sea time within the past 5 years. This time must be logged in your NI and/or IMCA logbook. A company confirmation letter will be required for time logged from January 1, 2014

The re-validation will be phased as below:

2015: Re-validation of certificates issued from 1984 to 2002, 2009 and 2010
2016: Revalidation of certificates issued from 2003-2004 and 2011
2017: Revalidation of certificates issued from 2005-2006 and 2012
2018: Revalidation of certificates issued from 2007-2008 and 2013
2019: Revalidation of certificates issued in 2013 and so on

Criteria to re-validate the DP Certificate

a. If more than 150 days DP sea service is done within a period of 5 years, then the person needs to re-send the documents to the NI to replace the certificate with a new validity date.
b. If the DPO has less than 150 days of DP sea service within the preceding 5 years, then the person needs to do an advanced course and a minimum of 30 days DP sea service.
c. If no DP sea service is obtained within the period of the last 5 years, then the person would have to undertake a advanced course and do a minimum of 60 days DP sea time on a DP vessel to have his/her license re-validated.
d. If the DP professional has been engaged in an occupation The Nautical Institute considers being equivalent to the sea service (i.e. DP Lecturer /instructor, DP surveyor, DP consultant, DP auditor, DP superintendent, DP supervisor), it will be required for revalidation of his/her DP certificate a minimum of 150 days in the activity claimed of the preceding 5 years. The entries to prove the activity shall be done on NI or IMCA logbook and signed by the accredited training centre (in case of DP lecturer), vessel’s operations manager (in case of DP superintendent, DP consultant, or DP supervisor) where the person has performed the work/activity or by the Nautical Institute’s authorized person (in case of DP auditor).

If the person decides to apply with a mix of experience that involves criterion ‘d’ and criterion ‘a’ or ‘b’, then the sea time obtained during the last 5 years shall be counted towards the required cumulative 150 days. Example: 15 days as DP lecturer and 15 days DP sea service, totalling the minimum 30 days.

Processing of applications currently submitted

The Nautical Institute has increased the resources available in order to improve the return time on DP applications that are currently submitted. Weekend work shifts, increased number of personnel, and software improvements are all being utilised to eliminate a backlog of applications

Submitting Applications

When applying for your DP Certificate please carefully read the information on the website. Much of the backlog has been created by applications being received that are incomplete/incorrect. For example, on many occasions applicants tick the box to indicate that they have a confirmation letter from the company so that they can progress with the online application but in fact do not have the letter. Or log books arrive with no Master’s signature in Section F, though applicants have ticked the box in the online application indicating that they have the Master’s signature. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant. Companies submitting applications on behalf of employees also need to be vigilant that all relevant documentation and signatures are included and correct. These steps would be a great help in expediting the application process.

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE NI DP SCHEME VISIT THE WEBSITE http://www.nautinst.org/en/dynamic-positioning/

There was a previous notice that said 1 day was at least 2 hours on DP. No such guidance in this latest notice.

Drillship Captains or Chief Mates make it to the Bridge several times a day, but usually no more than a few minutes at a time before something else needs your attention. Is that a "DP professional has been engaged in an occupation The Nautical Institute considers being equivalent to the sea service " ??

[QUOTE=Orniphobe;127523]There was a previous notice that said 1 day was at least 2 hours on DP. No such guidance in this latest notice.

Drillship Captains or Chief Mates make it to the Bridge several times a day, but usually no more than a few minutes at a time before something else needs your attention. Is that a "DP professional has been engaged in an occupation The Nautical Institute considers being equivalent to the sea service " ??[/QUOTE]

I agree, most Captains and CMs on drillships have little or no time sitting at the DP Operator Desk. Maybe they should try to incorporate some sort of online training for these positions, with a test, or just require a refresher Advanced class.

1 hour = 1 day
if you added the hours on a drill thingy you would have lots but still count the button pushes on one hand at the end of the year
I think some of the flag states are going to make their own rules about renewal

[QUOTE=powerabout;127576]1 hour = 1 day
if you added the hours on a drill thingy you would have lots but still count the button pushes on one hand at the end of the year
I think some of the flag states are going to make their own rules about renewal[/QUOTE]

Flag States are not going to have any involvement in renewal of DP certificates. Not until the USCG does, no one else will follow.

[QUOTE=powerabout;127576]1 hour = 1 day
[/QUOTE]

Where does it say that? Is that a NI policy?

Absolutely it is in both their logbook guidance documents available as PDF files in the Dynamic Positioning section of their website.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;127594]Flag States are not going to have any involvement in renewal of DP certificates. Not until the USCG does, no one else will follow.[/QUOTE]
Australia ( and several others) had already decided to expire DP tickets at 5 years, pretty standard for anyone following STCW95 hence the USCG will be the last organisation on the planet to follow that idea…

6000t OSV anyone??
time and a half for working (12 hour shift) on a modu??
etc etc…

According to the latest publication of the Final Rule, aren’t OSV’s now 10,000t ?

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;127542]I agree, most Captains and CMs on drillships have little or no time sitting at the DP Operator Desk. Maybe they should try to incorporate some sort of online training for these positions, with a test, or just require a refresher Advanced class.[/QUOTE]

DP Drillship Ch Mates can often get to the bridge sometime between 2300-0100 to help w DPO handover and ADPO lunch and catch up w Bridge Team/Navigation Team, while there they can spend some time on the desk reviewing the system. That supervisory role will fulfill the NI requirements.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;127638]DP Drillship Ch Mates can often get to the bridge sometime between 2300-0100 to help w DPO handover and ADPO lunch and catch up w Bridge Team/Navigation Team, while there they can spend some time on the desk reviewing the system. That supervisory role will fulfill the NI requirements.[/QUOTE]

I understand it fulfills the requirement, but sitting there for one hour for meal relief, really does not or should not qualify as quality experience with the Operator System. Now especially with the influx of unqualified people in Sr levels, ones who received their DP ticket as CM or Master on a drillship, never having to do the position as DPO, more should be done for these types for re-certification.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;127650]I understand it fulfills the requirement, but sitting there for one hour for meal relief, really does not or should not qualify as quality experience with the Operator System. Now especially with the influx of unqualified people in Sr levels, ones who received their DP ticket as CM or Master on a drillship, never having to do the position as DPO, more should be done for these types for re-certification.[/QUOTE]
Probably
but that means going down the the path of industry specific endorsements that for some reason the NI is against yet they have had to add special rules for shuttle tankers.
I cant work on a tanker without a tanker endorsement can I?
Is an ex driller to cro to DPO who has only ever worked in drilling be a skilled DPO, could they work on any other DP vessel safely? ( and drive it manually?) If they get sea time for an officers ticket would they be safe to stand a watch on a vessel in say a busy night in the English Channel…NFW!
Saying that what are the chances an unlimited captain can drive a PSV which part of their ( any ticket) training included how to drive?

IMHO…

The future will be deck tickets drilling/modu specific and you need a real ticket to do a passage ( half seatime for a real ticket holder on a drilling vessel just to maintain a ticket)
Vessel/job specific DP endorsements

or will happen when there is a disaster and some authority from outside the industry takes a look at how it is being run…
ok off my soap box

PS

Renewal of DP ticket, by the time some people need to do that there will most lilkely be an online exam for the advanced…oooh that will sort a few out??

E[QUOTE=powerabout;127697]Probably
but that means going down the the path of industry specific endorsement
that for some reason the NI is against yet they have had to add special rules for shuttle tankers.
I cant work on a tanker without a tanker endorsement can I?
Is an ex driller to cro to DPO who has only ever worked in drilling be a skilled DPO, could they work on any other DP vessel safely? ( and drive it manually?) If they get sea time for an officers ticket would they be safe to stand a watch on a vessel in say a busy night in the English Channel…NFW!
Saying that what are the chances an unlimited captain can drive a PSV which part of their ( any ticket) training included how to drive?

IMHO…

The future will be deck tickets drilling/modu specific and you need a real ticket to do a passage ( half seatime for a real ticket holder on a drilling vessel just to maintain a ticket)
Vessel/job specific DP endorsements

or will happen when there is a disaster and some authority from outside the industry takes a look at how it is being run…
ok off my soap box[/QUOTE]

good to know I am not the only nut who thinks like this. last drillship I was on deck mates were getting signed off DP log daily for an hour or 2 hanging out on the bridge. 1 hr will get you 12 was the running joke.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about underway bridge watch skills and the need for more specific licenses and legitimate recent sea time.

the unlimited master’s ticket holders not GENERALLY knowing how to handle PSV, i also agree with you. Never been on anything underway with more than one prop and less than 30 ft of water.

BTW, what is a CRO?

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;127731]E

good to know I am not the only nut who thinks like this. last drillship I was on deck mates were getting signed off DP log daily for an hour or 2 hanging out on the bridge. 1 hr will get you 12 was the running joke.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about underway bridge watch skills and the need for more specific licenses and legitimate recent sea time.

the unlimited master’s ticket holders not GENERALLY knowing how to handle PSV, i also agree with you. I am departing fourchon wednesday morning on my first hitch as PSV mate. Never been on anything underway with more than one prop and less than 30 ft of water. Completely out of my element but looking forward to it.

BTW, what is a CRO?[/QUOTE]

CRO= Control Room Operator

• Updated - - -

the unlimited master’s ticket holders not GENERALLY knowing how to handle PSV, i also agree with you. I am departing fourchon wednesday morning on my first hitch as PSV mate. Never been on anything underway with more than one prop and less than 30 ft of water. Completely out of my element but looking forward to it.

That is my concerns about DP tickets, they are still way to easy to obtain with little or no knowledge. Saturation of DP tickets in the industry will affect us all, if we as DP Personnel do not control these issues and stop pencil whipping or allowing it to be done on your vessels.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;127735]CRO= Control Room Operator

• Updated - - -

That is my concerns about DP tickets, they are still way to easy to obtain with little or no knowledge. Saturation of DP tickets in the industry will affect us all, if we as DP Personnel do not control these issues and stop pencil whipping or allowing it to be done on your vessels.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you; it is pencil whipping. The idea that 1hr is good for 1/210th of the time required is BS . However, I seriously doubt the NI will make the energy sector bend to its will of higher standards.

I called it pencil whipping where I was working, and they didnt like it.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;127740]I agree with you; it is pencil whipping. The idea that 1hr is good for 1/210th of the time required is BS . However, I seriously doubt the NI will make the energy sector bend to its will of higher standards.

I called it pencil whipping where I was working, and they didnt like it.[/QUOTE]

And those are my concerns about the whole scheme. Its a shame that the DP Certificate has become a rite instead of an accomplishment.

I know what you mean its not right, sucks for people like myself and others that didn’t get any slack cut along the way. 12 hours on the desk is one day for me, but I have heard of other companies doing this.

the unlimited master’s ticket holders not GENERALLY knowing how to handle PSV, i also agree with you. Never been on anything underway with more than one prop and less than 30 ft of water.

Sucks for you cause you didn’t get any slack? All of your post are about how you got screwed over because you haven’t been able to slide through on a loophole or an evaluators mistake. Quit your damn whining and shut the f*** up.

Wait, screwed?? It hasn’t been to long ago that block time was the norm, so even if you sit at the dock, you’re “gaining DP time.” The ones who are getting screwed are the ones that have to get 210 days on actual DP. They don’t get to follow the new 120 day guideline the NI put out.