The Most Stressful Jobs in America

There was a slideshow/article posted on the MSN homepage today entitled “The Most Stressful Jobs in America”. As per usual, guess who wasn’t on the list? The United States Merchant Marine. Guess who made the list while merchant mariners were left out? “Dancers.” That’s right folks. Dancers. Airline pilots, doctors, nurses, those things I can understand. They provide important services to the public and have a high rate of public exposure.

People know about them and that’s why they make lists like these. But dancers. They made it on the list and we didn’t. According to MSN.com being a ballet dancer is a more stressful job than being a merchant mariner. Apparently getting your head bashed in by your bulkhead while you’re trying to sleep but the ship is rocking and rolling too much is not nearly as much of a challenge in daily life as going to ballet practice.

Their criteria included “strict deadlines”, “brutal criticism”, and even “regularly having other people’s lives in your hands.” I think we can all agree that none of those three things play an important part in the daily life of the USMM, so clearly MSN was right on this one. I don’t know about the rest of you but I’ve certainly never had the opportunity to run into “strict deadlines”, “brutal criticism”, or “regularly having other people’s lives in your hands” while working at sea. Doesn’t happen. Ever. Certainly not every day.

This has been my nightly rant. Thank you all for participating. Here endeth the lesson.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;127830]There was a slideshow/article posted on the MSN homepage today entitled “The Most Stressful Jobs in America”. As per usual, guess who wasn’t on the list? The United States Merchant Marine. Guess who made the list while merchant mariners were left out? “Dancers.” That’s right folks. Dancers. Airline pilots, doctors, nurses, those things I can understand. They provide important services to the public and have a high rate of public exposure.

People know about them and that’s why they make lists like these. But dancers. They made it on the list and we didn’t. According to MSN.com being a ballet dancer is a more stressful job than being a merchant mariner. Apparently getting your head bashed in by your bulkhead while you’re trying to sleep but the ship is rocking and rolling too much is not nearly as much of a challenge in daily life as going to ballet practice.

Their criteria included “strict deadlines”, “brutal criticism”, and even “regularly having other people’s lives in your hands.” I think we can all agree that none of those three things play an important part in the daily life of the USMM, so clearly MSN was right on this one. I don’t know about the rest of you but I’ve certainly never had the opportunity to run into “strict deadlines”, “brutal criticism”, or “regularly having other people’s lives in your hands” while working at sea. Doesn’t happen. Ever. Certainly not every day.

This has been my nightly rant. Thank you all for participating. Here endeth the lesson.[/QUOTE]

Never judge a man until you have danced a mile in his shoes… Wear the tutu for extra credit, then we can talk about stress.

I don’t think he was saying dancing isn’t a stressful job, just that maybe what we do might be more stressful. Personally I think I’d be pretty stressed if I had to wear that tutu, but that might just be me.

Maybe the omission is down to the fact that our profession isn’t exactly well known. I must admit I can’t see how what we do wouldn’t be on that list somewhere.

Let’s not forget the long periods away from our loved ones also.

Do these tights make my ass look big, sailor?

[QUOTE=“PaddyWest2012;127830”]
Their criteria included “strict deadlines”, “brutal criticism”, and even “regularly having other people’s lives in your hands.” [/QUOTE]

Know they’re stressful jobs dancing, my sister is in NYCB & I’m well aware of the rigors they go through physically/emotionally, but"regularly having other peoples loves in your hands", no. I’d have to say I don’t agree with this.

[QUOTE=awulfclark;127835]I don’t think he was saying dancing isn’t a stressful job, just that maybe what we do might be more stressful. Personally I think I’d be pretty stressed if I had to wear that tutu, but that might just be me.

Maybe the omission is down to the fact that our profession isn’t exactly well known. I must admit I can’t see how what we do wouldn’t be on that list somewhere.

Let’s not forget the long periods away from our loved ones also.[/QUOTE]

Was only flippin some fun… relieving some stress, and thanking the lucky stars I don’t have to wear tights for a living.

Didn’t see the article but I will way in since I am probably the only guy on this entire website that worked on Cruise Ships for 10yrs with my wife as a dancer/acrobat duo and now works as a QMED on a drill ship. My wife was a ballerina since she was 4 and I can tell you the dance world is brutal, especially for girls. We’ve worked for Norwegian Cruise Lines onboard the Norwegian Sea, Wind, Dream, Majesty, and the Star. Saga Cruise Lines out of the UK on the Saga Rose. And NYK Cruise Lines on the MS Asuka.

Auditions to get jobs in the dance world, mostly have nothing to do with your ability. Too tall/short = no job. Brown hair = no job, Blond hair = no job. Short or long body = no job. 5lbs over the weight they want = no job. Lots of times you never even get to show your ability before you get nixed for the job.

She was constantly told that she was too fat, too skinny, ugly, wrong body type, too tall, too short, legs were too short/long, fat thighs, thighs too skinny, bony knees, and told that she should quit, etc. Most of this stuff happens during the impressionable teen years and that is one reason most ballerinas have poor self esteem and eating disorders. She moved to London at 17 to dance for English National Ballet and was told basically at the beginning that she would never make it as a soloist, ever, and that she may need to rethink her choice to dance. And my wife is an amazing ballet dancer.

The perfect ballerina body is around 5’7, long legged, small head, boobs, butt, perfect hands, great feet, and about 20lbs underweight. If you aren’t born that way they will try to make you be that way. I have heard of and seen many dancers that are bulimic just to maintain a certain weight for whatever company they are in. Most ballerinas smoke in order to feel less hungry and some even eat toilet paper to satisfy there hunger pains. My wife did do some lifts with the ballet guys, but nothing like what we did in our act, and nothing ever as dangerous.

As for me I did lots of gymnastics, tap, jazz, and some ballet. Ended up quitting ballet due to teasing during middle school, but was never bullied or anything. I also played football (badly haha) during high school for a couple years, and was always working on cars and stuff with my dad. Anyone can do the basics of baseball, football, or basketball. Sure they may suck at it, but they can physically do the basics like throw a ball or run a pattern. A random guy can’ t even perform the basic movements of gymnastics or ballet without years of coaching and practice, the physical ability/strength/flexibility just isn’t there. None of my dancing growing up was too stressful but once i started working professionally it definitely got worse.

Once my wife and I started dating we decided to build an acro act using my gymnastics and her ballet skills. We found a coach in Vegas and trained with him. Then we started working on cruise ships again and I can tell you that every time we performed on that boat I literally had my wifes life in my hands. We specialized in overhead lifts, tricks, and throws. I’d have her up over my head in one hand, while she was in the splits, spinning her around and around. If the couple is doing it correctly the man should never be looking up at the girl, so most of it is done semi-blind. We would do some throws with totally blind catches, where if i missed she would hit the floor head first. I can tell you that our mental focus during some of those tricks was so intense that nothing else existed. We did some aerial work as well. 20ft up in some lycra material with no safety net other than your grip strength is not OSHA approved. Some people recently have actually died doing it.

Say what you want, but Ive performed our normal acro act in 15ft seas. It sucked and it was dangerous as hell, but we still did it. My wife dislocated her shoulder in the first number of a show on the Norwegian Wind and we still did every lift and throw in that hour long show. Then we didn’t work again for 7 months, haha.

So in my humble opinion: “Apparently getting your head bashed in by your bulkhead while you’re trying to sleep but the ship is rocking and rolling too much is not nearly as much of a challenge in daily life as going to ballet practice.” I would agree with this statement. Ballet practice, especially at an advanced/professional level is much more stressful than trying to sleep on a rolling ship.

Just my 32 cents.

Oh, and I’ve never worn tights either.

Wow, I think this is a first–professional dancing and professional mariners coming together.

Money–I had a feeling you weren’t entirely serious. I have a hard time picking up sarcasm in written form.

Robby–some interesting notes in your post there. I have to say I hadn’t considered the pairs aspect of professional dancing. The brutal criticism part, I might venture to say might be even worse for professional dancers. Sure, we as professional mariners can come in for brutal criticism, but we’re also overwhelmingly adult, and in the main the criticism has probably been earned, versus a young girl whose entire life is shattered because of physical features that she has virtually no control over. So, yeah, plenty stressful I’d imagine.

But I think the crux of the argument is–is professional dancing any more or less stressful than being a professional mariner? Robby, your example above detailing how you literally had your wife’s life in your hands, while certainly stressful, in my mind might be mitigated just a little bit by the fact that you at least have some control of the situation. A ship captain with a green third mate and a useless third mate, probably pretty stressed. Dealing with high traffic, adverse weather, trying to explain to the company that, no, you can’t do that right now because your entire crew needs rest. All very stressful, and all this day in, day out, for weeks to months straight.

And, to add to all that, as I mentioned in an earlier post, you’re doing this while away from home for weeks, often months straight, and much of that time without any meaningful communication with the loved ones. At least the vast majority of professional dancers get to go home at night.

On the list of shipboard stressors, I’d say trying to catch some sleep in heavy weather, while stressful, probably isn’t all that high on the list, though it can have knock-on effects on other stressors.

Anyway, my overall point–IMO, professional mariner should have been on that list. Where exactly on that list it belongs is probably the subject of another debate. To me, the fatal flaw in the list is anything from the entertainment sector making that list, especially at the expense of a profession that actually contributes something meaningful and tangible to the economy and people’s day-to-day lives. Which I can’t help but think professional mariner wasn’t even considered for the list.

Good thoughts and i do agree with some of them. Just FYI, the usual minimum contract length for a cruise ship dancer is 6months straight. I’ve done 3,6,8,and 12 month contracts on cruise ships. Granted the work/rest hours are highly skewed towards the rest side of the equation.

I agree that some aspect of the merchant marine should have been on that list. and I was more responding just out of relevant experience than serious feelings on the issue. But I don’t think the entire merchant marine as a whole should have made the list.

Never worked on one, but would assume that a ready reserve ship sitting in port for god knows how long without actually being underway probably isn’t that stressful. Used to see the ones off the Port of Tacoma everyday for months when I worked down town. I don’t think they ever left.

Maybe a vessel that does routine unreps should be on that list. Or some of the other examples you have as well.

Interesting discussion anyway.

Six months minimum, wow. I don’t care what your job is, being at sea that long (or longer) is taxing to anyone.

You’re right that being on a reserve ship, sitting at the dock except for the occasional week-long breakout, working 8-to-5 with weekends off, is probably pretty low-stress overall. Not to say there isn’t stress–that can be found anywhere–but nowhere near that on a continuously working vessel. Also maybe the wide variety of jobs on vessels could play into the equation–I’ll go out on a limb and say that the general vessel utility probably experiences a lot less stress than the captain.

I had a look at the slideshow, and one thing that jumps out is the professions given are relatively specific–instead of generic “doctor”, for example, they mention surgeons, anesthesiologists, etc. Which plays into the “some aspect of the merchant marine” should have been on that list. Perhaps ship pilots and/or ship captains, for example, especially based on the “consequence of error” metric. When things go right, nobody knows who you are. On the other hand, the world knows Francesco Schettino’s name.

One last point–the “stressful job” that really stood out for me in the slideshow, even more than the dancer one, was “broadcast news analyst”. Nobody’s life or safety is at stake there, which in my mind would be the greatest stressor in any job. Perhaps they could have left that out. Another glaring omission in the slideshow–the military, particularly those in combat. Ask all those soldiers who come back with PTSD just how stressful that job is.

Well, we can bitch all we want, we’re all preaching to each other here. We know what’s really up, and that’s good enough for me–I don’t really need to be validated by MSN.

Wow… My take away from all this is that I feel a whole lot worse about not getting a call back on the resumes I submitted to drill companies now… Maybe I need to take some dance lessons and put that on there. …

Well at least we consistently make the “top worst jobs” lists…

[QUOTE=Hawespiper;127961]Wow… My take away from all this is that I feel a whole lot worse about not getting a call back on the resumes I submitted to drill companies now… Maybe I need to take some dance lessons and put that on there. …[/QUOTE]

Might work. If I was in HR I’d call you in for an interview just see if you were for real.

Its seems like its more stressful to get the job than actually do the job (if all goes as planned) im about to put out close to $1000 just to fly to the bayou at the end of the month so I can knock on doors not knowing if ill even get a face to face with someone, let alone a job offer.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;127830]There was posted on the MSN homepage today entitled “The Most Stressful Jobs in America”. As per usual, guess who wasn’t on the list? The United States Merchant Marine. Guess who made the list while merchant mariners were left out? “Dancers.” That’s right folks. Dancers. [/QUOTE]

Of course this is why Rear Admiral Goober Pyle USMS has part of USMMA Strategic Plan implemented a ballet company in the regiment for the class of 2018!

Only midshipmen with the ability to show remarkable “bulge” are accepted into the company and to lead it, the KP Administration brought back Cdr. David Mund as company commander and regimental social hostess.

Funding for the new company came from a $20M Congressional special appropriation to MarAd and was immediately siphoned off by all the ooze sucking bottom feeders at the academy for their personal fiefdoms!

HUZZAH!

I can see how being broke with no job security is stressful. But hey, I chose to work for gCaptain.

“Never judge a man until you have danced a mile in his shoes… Wear the tutu for extra credit, then we can talk about stress.”

After almost getting shot down for the second time in 3 days. after landing I was dancing around the ramp like a maniac. So does dancing cause stress, or does stress cause dancing…Things that make you go Hmmmm…

[QUOTE=skycowboy;128016]“Never judge a man until you have danced a mile in his shoes… Wear the tutu for extra credit, then we can talk about stress.”[/QUOTE]

A few years ago, I asked my oldest daughter what her new boyfriend did for employment. “Dancer and choreographer” she replied. I had a vision of a guy in a tutu toe dancing around. A few weeks later she reported that he was all bummed out about not getting a back-up dancer spot on Madonna’s last tour because he was too old. (30) When I ask what he would do now she replied “oh he’s on the cage fighting tour also”.

[QUOTE=injunear;128019]A few years ago, I asked my oldest daughter what her new boyfriend did for employment. “Dancer and choreographer” she replied. I had a vision of a guy in a tutu toe dancing around. A few weeks later she reported that he was all bummed out about not getting a back-up dancer spot on Madonna’s last tour because he was too old. (30) When I ask what he would do now she replied “oh he’s on the cage fighting tour also”.[/QUOTE]

If you need help hiding the body, I’m you’re man.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;128022]If you need help hiding the body, I’m you’re man.[/QUOTE]

That was then…I rarely consider using my current sons-in-law for crab trap bait. Thanks anyway.