The Marine Training Institute (Beier) Review -- DP Advanced

Just took the 4-day DP simulator (advanced) course at Beier’s school in Gray (Houma), LA, and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the course. It was a magnitude better than the induction course I took at another provider.

Instructors were pleasant and knowledgeable, simulators and facility are top-notch, and even the catered lunches were pretty good. We got a full day’s instruction each day. And a free t-shirt. :wink:

Good mix of students from crewboats to drillships, in and out of the GoM, and the instructors were happy to let students share pertinent experiences without letting it devolve into eight hours of sea stories.

Two items that came up in discussion: 1.) anyone who took the induction course at Beier’s old facility with M****ce (he who shall not be named) – so long as you paid the school and your name is on the daily sign-in sheets, there should not be more than a slight delay (and how would you even tell?) while NI verifies that with the school. 2.) Login for the new NI Alexis platform (for “old scheme” folks, anyhow) is the email address on file and last name, first letter capitalized. That is, no longer your NI number.

What do you mean by “should not be more than a slight delay”? I am a pupil of He-who-shall-not-be-named and am in the process of submitting all my time to NI. You have me worried now.

Has Beier completely changed their course? My ship runs Beier and I’d like to send new crew to their training to learn the buttonology we actually have, but my experience there was so weak that I can’t justify the cost unless it’s done a 180.

[QUOTE=nochtli;159931]What do you mean by “should not be more than a slight delay”? I am a pupil of He-who-shall-not-be-named and am in the process of submitting all my time to NI. You have me worried now.

Has Beier completely changed their course? My ship runs Beier and I’d like to send new crew to their training to learn the buttonology we actually have, but my experience there was so weak that I can’t justify the cost unless it’s done a 180.[/QUOTE]

Apparently NI is sending M**rice-signed logbooks back to Beier for verification (whether physically or electronically, I don’t know). If you have a receipt (or cancelled check, bank statement whatever) and – more importantly – your name is on the daily sign-in sheet, the instructors sign-off and you are good. From what I heard in class, they’ve been spending a good amount of time on this. They said that the students who actually took the course, even from that dude, are being approved.

They now take a class photo that goes into the file, as well, to prove you were physically present. So the delay would be in the additional time for verification, but NI is so slow with everything, you might not even notice that extra step.

I did not take the induction course there, so I can’t vouch for how the training has changed, but I had heard from other people who did that the previous course with ol’ whats-his-name was mostly sitting around telling sea stories, early out, etc. This course was not like that. It started on time every morning and ran a little later than they told us to expect most days. A couple of hours of lecture/slides in the morning and then 2-3 simulations the rest of the day. Adequate time for student input and real-life scenarios and experiences, but it never got too far off-track. Two instructors in the class most of the time (they actually seemed to enjoy what they were doing), and plenty of personal attention for those who were familiar with other systems and “buttonology” (love that!).

Equipment is good, Facility is the nicest I’ve been to, out of six or seven different schools.

I took my basic with He-who-shall-not-be-named and got my book, along with my Dp certificate back in around three months. I didn’t hear anything from the NI and was getting ready to call when I received an email saying that I was approved. Make sure you have all your paperwork and book filled out properly so you don’t slow down the process. Good luck.

[QUOTE=txh2oman;160598]Apparently NI is sending M**rice-signed logbooks back to Beier for verification (whether physically or electronically, I don’t know). If you have a receipt (or cancelled check, bank statement whatever) and – more importantly – your name is on the daily sign-in sheet, the instructors sign-off and you are good. From what I heard in class, they’ve been spending a good amount of time on this. They said that the students who actually took the course, even from that dude, are being approved.

They now take a class photo that goes into the file, as well, to prove you were physically present. So the delay would be in the additional time for verification, but NI is so slow with everything, you might not even notice that extra step.

I did not take the induction course there, so I can’t vouch for how the training has changed, but I had heard from other people who did that the previous course with ol’ whats-his-name was mostly sitting around telling sea stories, early out, etc. This course was not like that. It started on time every morning and ran a little later than they told us to expect most days. A couple of hours of lecture/slides in the morning and then 2-3 simulations the rest of the day. Adequate time for student input and real-life scenarios and experiences, but it never got too far off-track. Two instructors in the class most of the time (they actually seemed to enjoy what they were doing), and plenty of personal attention for those who were familiar with other systems and “buttonology” (love that!).

Equipment is good, Facility is the nicest I’ve been to, out of six or seven different schools.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I don’t remember if there was a daily sign-in sheet, or if Beier even still has them. This was about 4 years ago.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like their course is completely different from my experience and worth looking into.

[QUOTE=nochtli;160785]Wow, I don’t remember if there was a daily sign-in sheet, or if Beier even still has them. This was about 4 years ago.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like their course is completely different from my experience and worth looking into.[/QUOTE]

They certainly gave the impression they still had them. Might be worth a call … I’m sure they could research it for you.

Update: 2 months from the day I sent my documents to the UK to today, when they emailed me to tell me I’m all clear and my documents have been sent back to me. Seems like my Beier certificates didn’t hold up the process too terribly long, if at all.