The boat on a street dream

Does anyone else ever have that dream? For me, it’s backing down for a traffic light and twin screwing to turn a corner. Same dream every time, always the same street corner. A friend of mine says it’s always a dream about trying to parallel park.

When I worked at turdwater my reoccurring dream was being lost in a carryall. We were either in a desert or mountains. I remember that the whole crew would just be standing around the truck arguing about where to go and what to do. I haven’t had that dream since I quit there. By the way I think a fella named klejune is using the same Buddy Christ avi as you.

I’ve had dreams about crowded anchorages in china with fishing boats going every which way, and getting the ship stuck in a spot where there is no way out…

Mine,s trying to get around a corner- barge always takes out the streetlight on the corner.

[QUOTE=pogey-poboy;89372]Does anyone else ever have that dream? For me, it’s backing down for a traffic light and twin screwing to turn a corner. Same dream every time, always the same street corner. A friend of mine says it’s always a dream about trying to parallel park.[/QUOTE]

I have it occasionally, but not as often as when I was sailing. It seems to happen at times when I have a lot of stuff going on and can’t control stuff to the level I’d like to. As I’ve done a lot of wjhitewater kayaking, mine isn’t as much about being on street,. it’s on progressively smaller and smaller water until I’m on a very steep, very narrow creek. I’ve heard of others with the same, and asked about it here a few years ago: http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/634-mariners-dream.html

Running over the tow wire while caught in a whirlpool at the freeway’s cloverleaf onramp. Wake up in a state of panic. Wtf?

For as long as I have been away from Turdwater ( as Fraqrat so lovingly puts it), the dream is not as frequent but it is still on a Turd boat. Never on the HOS boats. I still hear the old Mathers throttles dumping air.

Yes! And for me it always happens in Midtown Manhattan.

What I find most interesting is that the first few times it scared the sh!t out of me and my ship would end up crashing into a skyscraper… the building falling on the crew causing death and destruction. Then for a few years the streets would narrow and my ship would just get stuck between the buildings.

Now the dream happens much less often but, when it does, I can kinda control the dream and I have fun with it. I feel kinda like godzilla… knocking down building and leaving a trail of destruction in my wake but without damaging my ship.

Funny … I have exactly the same dream and … too often ! I’m sailing downhill right downtown city on a ULCC. There’s a lot of traffic. The street lights dead ahead of me are green but turning to yellow. [B]FULL ASTERN & SOUND THE DANGER SIGNAL ON THE WHISTLE !!! [/B] But can’t stop. I look astern and see all these deep propeller scratches on the asphalt. Sometimes I dream that I’m sailing that same ULCC right in the middle of a countryside grassland. It’s more relaxing than downtown … :smiley:

I am an engineer and have had this same dream. It was far more common when I was still going to sea and then for a couple of years after I came ashore. It has been quite some time since I have had it. Lately, though, I have been having dreams about going back to sea, though. Almost aways on some POS tug. . . . or a Sat boat. Oh, wait, the latter really happened a couple of months ago.