What is your Dream Job?

I know we have had this conversation before but… to help CMA_Deckcadet with his question, I think it’s worth revisiting:

If you had your pick of ships and money and was not an issue, what job would you take (bulk runs to africa, research cruises in the S Pacific, arctic cruise ships, etc) next? And why?

To start this thread off. If I was 21 and single I’d probably get on a research ship… the pay isn’t great but it would be a good move for the present and future because A) an abundance of smart good looking women B) Interesting job with port time C) beer and D) DP seatime.

I had a friend who got both DP Seatime an met his [I]fiancé[/I] (a great girl with a PhD) while sailing for Scripps. While the relationship didn’t last his going offshore… the DP seatime got him a job aboard a new drillship, of which he is now the Captain.

At this point of my life, if money wasn’t an issue, I go for a small & fast container-ship in the Med. I’m not sure I would like to make a career out of it, but I’d enjoy the change of pace.

If it has to be at sea, I would guess that it would be on a small, interisland break bulk ship. Either in the Caribbean, Med or Pacific islands.

A profitable 100’ fishing vessel, working on a healthy ocean, with no regulations.

You said “dream”.

Feeding people is a REAL job.

Running the personal yacht of Michael J Peter (the owner of Thee Dollhouse, Pure Platinum and the most prestigious gentlemens clubs in the United States) then on my time off running this https://www.hawaiiantropicmodels.com/site.php/arti/read/21st_international/

Being a pilot on Tarawa or Pohnpei.

My girlfriend’s family is from Pohnpei. And Pingelap, too.

captain of the HOOTERS yacht or PILOT of there airplane

there is one private yacht owner, forgot the name of the boat but he makes adult videos, was docked next to him for a week in the bahamas, the yacht crews on all the other boats did not get lots of work or sleep that week, camaers were out all the time
:eek::eek::D:D

dream job? hmmm… I’d probably go back to the Sea Cloud, a large steel-hulled 4 masted bark sailing the Mediterranean (summer) and Caribbean (winter); I worked on her as 2nd officer back in the early to mid 90’s between O&G $$ jobs and the lifestyle was great: fabulous ports of call, beautiful women (passengers and crew), 5 star food & wine, large multinational crew, “european lifestyle”, etc etc. money was not remarkable, in fact I don’t even remember what I was making: maybe 2500/month but all cash and tax free.
the Sea Cloud is still an option for those young enough to enjoy all the perks! if anyone is interested I have all the contacts, since I get emails regularly asking me to rejoin.

richard8000miles away
on second thought, you are right on the tall ships, is spent 6 months as a volunter crewmember on THE TALL SHIP GAZELLA, those were the days, 120 feet above the deck doing 10 knots under sail, scraping the yardarm,no feeling like it in the world

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;25487]dream job? hmmm… I’d probably go back to the Sea Cloud, a large steel-hulled 4 masted bark sailing the Mediterranean (summer) and Caribbean (winter); I worked on her as 2nd officer back in the early to mid 90’s between O&G $$ jobs and the lifestyle was great: fabulous ports of call, beautiful women (passengers and crew), 5 star food & wine, large multinational crew, “european lifestyle”, etc etc. money was not remarkable, in fact I don’t even remember what I was making: maybe 2500/month but all cash and tax free.
the Sea Cloud is still an option for those young enough to enjoy all the perks! if anyone is interested I have all the contacts, since I get emails regularly asking me to rejoin.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it is tax free anymore. I was told by the tax man that even if it is a foreign company, unless it is 330days or more out of country Uncle Sam can get his share.

I am with cmakin on this one. I would probably omit the med though. I am actually looking at S Pacific on a very small ship even though there is no money in it. I seem to keep doing the no money thing. Currently a tall ship, but getting to old to do it much longer.

Actually the thread said, What is your dream job? It didn’t mention anything about a boat. You guys figure it out. On the back of every comdom package it says, “Pre-Tested.” Need I say more.

All my time was USN (24yrs)until 2003. So I wanted a Battleship. 57,000 tons, 30 + kts. And BIG Guns. You can do “Landscaping and Urban Renewal” from offshore with her. But Richard’s 4 mast, sounds ideal!
My Dream “Retirement Job” is to be a door greeter at “Victoria’s Secrets”!

My dream job is to sail in the Titanic, but oh shit nobody told me that the Titanic is Sunk Damn i spended my savings in the MMC for this lol.

hey luckrunsout,
that was the funniest post I have read on here for quite a while. very good!
fair winds,

Harbor Pilot!

[QUOTE=cmakin;25485]My girlfriend’s family is from Pohnpei. And Pingelap, too.[/QUOTE]

On man, go visit the family with your scuba gear. If you don’t have any, I have some, but it comes with me in it…

Great question. Besides being a professional lottery winner I would have to go with Captain of my own yacht in the Med. No only if I had a yacht and money to fuel it…

It is a fun job, no question, but calls at 0330, late nights on icy ladders, wicked crosswind/current, and dealing with ICE/USCG/and dock guards on arrival . . .“it ain’t what it used to be”

But you do have a job on the water and the time off to enjoy using beer, bait, and bullets (not in combination!)