Tankers Full of Trouble by Eric Nalder

This book was mentioned on the “what classics am I missing” thread and it turned out better than I expected. The author Eric Nalder won a Pulitzer prize for a series he did on oil tankers so he’s very knowledgeable.

He rode the tanker Arco Anchorage from Valdez to Cherry Pt. and back. Some good insights about the crew, some history of U.S. and other tankers in general. The regulatory bodies don’t come out looking too good including the U.S. Coast Guard.

Got the book used through Amazon but supplied by Thrift Books in Atlanta. Came right away, in good condition and signed by the author, all for six bucks.

A good book for anyone interested in the tanker trade in the U.S. I should have taken notes, lots of good insights. Off the top of my head he mentions that the use of technology of both the sextant and the GPS depended on the development better clocks.

The book started out a little slow but got better. A little heavy on anecdotal info on tanker accidents and light on data but mostly a good read. Seemed like an accurate portrayal of life aboard a tanker on the Valdez run.

This book is from 1994 - here is a professional review.

1 Like