Tanker Sola and Norwegian navy frigate Helga Ingstad collide off Norway

Hereby confirmed, Norway has just got a new submarine, which make sure they now reach the stated goal of 2% defence spending ahead of the 2024 schedule:

2 Likes

Someone see an advantage NATO holding exercises, even if it should cost a frigate or two:

Wasn’t there a pilot on board? He/she would normally have been maneuvering the tanker. The mate would just be observing. (edited to add question mark)

The Vestbris is a small coaster/short sea vessel. Norwegian owned and operated, but registered in St.Vincent & Antigua. Manned by a crew of mixed nationalities. (In this case; Swedish Master, Russian Mate)

Because she is trading mainly on the Norwegian coast the Master and Mate hold Pilot Exemption Certificates, so no pilot on board. Vessel specs:

In this case she was heading from Larvik in the South Eastern area and towards Floro, which is a few hours sailing north of the where the incident happened.

She was using the inshore route as is normal for ships of this type and size, even in good weather.

My apologies. It wasn’t clear that we had switched to writing about a different accident.

Same incident – if you look at the radar tracks from VTS you can see Vestris having to change course sharply to avoid.

Another good article by Editorial.

https://gcaptain.com/who-sunk-the-battleship/

Except for the headline. Perhaps should read “Who sank the battleship?”

Im the journalist who wrote this. So yes. Its true.

2 Likes

ais off but are you telling me they cant just turn the transmit off like a class B?
Where are all the kids on the bridge with their phone apps?

Could you translate what is of such significance please?

The Navy turned down as too expensive the outfit that
salvaged Costa Concordia, and went with a cheaper outfit that used substandard gear.

Thanks. I suspect the navy is not the only organisation that goes cheap and nasty before regretting it.

Theiyr’re always making mistakes like this!

489086bee9d52ce8a354febc0c38a513acae5431

Question; how can such an awful tin can opener hawse pipe reinforcement, which stand between 3 to 4 meters from water level, can hole another vessel to the extent of making her to sink?

12 posts were split to a new topic: Master Pilot Relationship

I’m going to make a wild guess that the first touch laid Helge Ingstad over so the real dirty work could proceed.

The damage visible before she rolled over completely was way above the waterline and due to contact with hawspipe and anchor, provided the anchor was hoisted home. The underwater damage, due to impact with the bulb, must be extensive and likely was the cause of taking on water and the eventual roll-over.

We can observe evident contact with the hawse pipe, but not that much against the bulb 
 so my question.