Tanker Sola and Norwegian navy frigate Helga Ingstad collide off Norway

They may have been influenced, but no US persons to blame here.

Hey
Keep me out of this I was miles away at the time.
Having a bit of trouble with Nogbad the Bad

This is the latest on VG.no with sound recording and AIS pictures:

The language is in Norwegian of course, but I believe the picture should be reasonably clear from the animation.

Update: This should have the transcript of the conversation and be translatable in Google translate:

Wow, this just keeps getting better. They really didn’t have a clue. The guy on the horn (would that be the OOD?) sounds distracted and utterly oblivious to what is going on, and any doubt is dispelled when he says “We just hit an unidentified object”. I wonder if his radar splashed out. I know mine would only a few cables off such a steep coast, but his sensor array costs more than my life, so I would have thought he’d get a clean image. It almost seems like he was running without active radar, which makes sense as part of an INS / DR drill, except then the instructor in charge should have kept an eye on things. And if they were in passive sensing mode, surely the Sola would have lit up IR like a fire?

The recording makes a few more interesting points:

The talk about the grounding being intentional looks to be utter nonsense. They pretty well instantly lost propulsion and drifted onto the rocks purely by luck (or am I wrong?).

You could tell from the trail that he was coming kind of fast, but just how long his velocity vector was when they started tracking him beautifully explains how things can go from slow motion to way too fast in the blink of an eye. This is prime training material.

The post-accident congestion on Ch 16 is another textbook example of why comms protocol discipline is important. Given how much traffic descended on the area and how garbled communications were, it’s a small wonder that there weren’t any secondary accidents.

Again, the Ajax was halfway to the scene when called upon. Love that :slight_smile:

The more you look at the tracks and hear the undercooled comments of the frigate the more it makes you wonder what was going on on that bridge and in those Navy heads. It is just unbelievable that this could happen and that with all the modern technology that is available nowadays. ARPA, ECDIS, COLREGS what’s that? Or was it party time after the NATO exercise?

English version of the VHF transcript here.

At 7:50 into the recording the voice changes as the Commander of the KNM Helge Ingstad take over communication. He just arrived on the bridge and has obviously not been briefed. (at least not correctly)

Here is a picture of the mooring arrangement to keep the wreck from slipping off the ledge it is resting on:

Solid granite comes in handy some times.

The work to secure her is ongoing. This former ferry support the operation:
td58ca3e

Looks like Sola TS has lost an anchor in the collision:

PS> The scratch marks on the bow just above the bulbous appears to be old and have nothing to do with the accident.

A lot has been made of the press release mentioning that the KNM Helge Ingstad was conducting “navigation training” when this happened.
Apparently she had used the inside passage while transmitting from the exercise area in North and Mid-Norway to her base near Bergen, which is common for Norwegian warships (and others).

Here is the Navy’s own explanation. (From VG.no):

The missing paint on the outer part of the hawsepipe closely matches the damage to the frigate.

Also - a bit off topic but I couldn’t help but notice some of the cable clamps on the wires are installed incorrectly. The ones installed the wrong way will crush the working part of the wire. - Never saddle a dead horse.

Looking at the simulation it would seem that the cartoonist was much more perceptive than I first appreciated with the tanker pictured through the windows on the starboard side of the bridge.

Beauty, thank you.

You’re so right I often see the clamps fitted wrongly, once on a pedestrian suspension bridge. There is also a correct number of clamps that should be fitted and a correct spacing of the clamps.

Salvage not going according to plan

It was already pretty clear that she would get cut up for parts, but now I’m starting to wonder if there will be anything worth salvaging.

EDIT: Seriously wondering if incorrect wire clamping may have had a hand in this…

IMG_3423

I think that real salvage experts would have frowned upon the securing method and would have chosen another route to stabilize the wreck. The displacement and thus weight of the ship is 5290 tons and that is not going to remain in place on probably a steep rocky slope with these simple thin wires, it will start to slide or move by pure weight. Seen the rather sharp bend on the rocks probably chafing will kick in, apart from the wrongly placed clamps and the overload on the wires. Amateurs at work…

I guess they used what was rapidly to hand, but of course history now

It’s sickening to watch. First they managed to lay the vessel with the wrong side to shore, guaranteeing that it would flood with water, and then this shit job of securing it.

Yup and besides laying the vessel on the wrong side - they left to many water tight compartment doors open.

Well, I don’t think they had a say in which side went towards shore, since it seems that they instantly lost propulsion. As far as I can tell, it was pure luck and happenstance that she ended up where she did. Also, the open watertight door in the picture above is at the aft end of the casing, so I assume that it connects to the engine room which already was flooded.

That being said, this is a very sad spectacle indeed, and the result of an impressive jumble of mistakes. It maybe wouldn’t have been so catastrophic to lose one of the Fridtjof Nansen class frigates, seeing how they were already pilfering parts off some of them to keep others running, but it doesn’t even look like they’ll get many usable spares off this one.

They said at a press conference today that the anchor points started giving way before all the lines snapped simultaneously, so it’s a stretch to assume that incorrect clamping alone was the cause. However, it’s quite telling how rudimentary flaws in the securing arrangement were pointed out prior to its failure.

https://www.aldrimer.no/sjoforsvaret-ville-spare-penger-pa-bergingen/

If this is correct, heads would roll.

But on the bright side, Norway now has the worlds first Aegis class submarine…