Tamaya or C Plath Sextant? What is your opinion?

Mariners, which sextant do you find as a superior instrument: C. Plath or Tamaya sextant?

[QUOTE=U.S. Marine (ret);85604]Mariners, which sextant do you find as a superior instrument: C. Plath or Tamaya sextant?[/QUOTE]

I do not think you can go wrong with either, but I do like the ones a little heavier - Tamaya Jupiter - easier for me to hold steady, but that is personnel preference.

I purchased a Tamaya Jupiter 24 years ago and have been using it ever since. No complaints here though I may get new mirrors for her 30th birthday.

Bought a C. Plath in a pawn shop in the late '70s and am still enjoying it. Nice quality.

Haven’t use the Tamaya much, and that was a long time ago, so I really can’t compare. I’m sure you’d be happy with either.

Robert E. White Instruments in MA is a good place to check out:

http://www.robertwhite.com/cgi-local/shop.pl?type=categ&categ=rw_celestial

A 1960’s vintage Plath with the cast bronze frame and 5x monocular scope. Heavy as hell but never ever loses accuracy with temp changes and you can find the faintest stars wonderfully with that scope.

The trouble is finding one for sale at a reasonable price that has been well cared for.

I know this wasn’t one of the options you put up for consideration but I just thought I’d throw into the conversation that I bought an Astra IIIB from Celestaire a couple of years ago and I love it. I’ll admit I don’t get to use it as often as I’d like but I’m glad I have it. I can’t remember if it came with the star scope or if I had to buy that as an option but at any rate it has nice sun and star scopes, you can pick up the faint stars pretty well. It’s very smooth and easy to use, and is also very sturdy, even though it’s relatively light, which I really like because my wrists start get tired before too long.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I will check out both Rob White and Celestaire for purchasing options. With regard to the Astra, does anyone have other comments about experiences with this instrument? Also, any other input about where to shop around for a used sextant and recommendations for market price for the brands mentioned above? Teaching myself celnav has become a bit of a hobby seeing as it has atrophied to somewhat of a dying art.

Don’t buy new! I have a line on a perfect vintage Plath. PM me

If you’re a novice or a yachtee just buy a plastic sextant: I’ve used them and they’re good enough for your needs.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;85675]If you’re a novice or a yachtee just buy a plastic sextant: I’ve used them and they’re good enough for your needs.[/QUOTE]

That sir is nothing less than an insult to any man who has one ounce of professionalism even if he isn’t a professional mariner.

Have PRIDE in the craft for the sake of PRIDE is nothing else!

I wish I had enough money to pay the slip fees for a yacht. I don’t think my current place in the hawspipe is going to get me there anytime soon. But had a good laugh anyway.

Here’s an analogy; would you rather rely on a high quality Swiss chronometer or a Timex digital quartz watch? The Timex actually would give you the time just the same, right? In fact the chronometer may typically be prone to more error than the average cheapy quartz.

I’ve seen as many guys on the bridge wing looking at a Timex or an iPhone (me) as bringing the stop watch to the chronometer. Still have to record the chronometer error though…

Man, I’d love to get a fancy Rolex or Omega to go with a super fancy C-Plath …painted white. Id be the shiz! Then I’d get the galley to make cookies, cause I would really deserve one!

Until then the Chinese Sextant from the shipyard will work just fine. At least it’s metal. Now days that’s just practice and showing off anyway.

dgillum214, I really appreciate your elementary analogy; however, contrary to your sentiment I have an admiration for well made navigational instruments and shall invest my interests and money in a way which I deem appropriate even though I am a novice. This thread’s subject is: “Tamaya or C Plath Sextant? What is your opinion?” Not “dgillum214, how did you enjoy the trany’s member that you paid a few bucks to run into the back room and have a go at it.” Gents, keep it professional……and please, stay on task with the topic. Or else we all may enjoy a good laugh, and we certainly do deserve one.

Seriously, I would really love to have a C-Plath! My point is its like owning a Rolex, overkill. I’ve used all three mentioned and a cheap Chinese pos we have from the shipyard. The White enameled C-Plath feel like a million bucks, but don’t get me lying saying its gives you a better fix. I’ll leave that to the salesman.

Before I’m corrected with a retort referring to transvestites and asking for professionalism in the same sentence, I am aware that a sextant doesn’t yield a fix only an angle.

[QUOTE=dgillum214;85708]Before I’m corrected with a retort referring to transvestites and asking for professionalism in the same sentence, I am aware that a sextant doesn’t yield a fix only an angle.[/QUOTE]

Good catch lad…that was a very close call you had there! Post carefully please.

Once again this is the pot calling the kettle black.
After getting run off one rig as a stand in captain, you’re the lubber who skulked up to the bridge of my ship after demanding unsuccessfully to be made captain. Shouting !? REALLY? You sat up in the wheelhouse doing nothing but complain to anyone who would listen. Sitting down with your feet propped up setting a fine example of professionalism on a busy hectic day. You finally worked up enough nerve and disembarked and then sent me a PM on here telling me not to agree to stand a 12 hour watch: “they can’t make you do that”. WTF? Have you EVER worked in Oil & Gas?

Also, why do you feel the need to lie about your sea service on gcaptain? We don’t care that you were a supply boat guy or whatever, just don’t try to sell yourself as a 25 year Master of unlimited vessels.

Ccaptain, you may write about professionalism and pride in your work but all you have to show are words words words and - as always - your actions speak louder than your words.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;85715]Once again this is the pot calling the kettle black.
After getting run off one rig as a stand in captain, you’re the lubber who skulked up to the bridge of my ship after demanding unsuccessfully to be made captain. Shouting !? REALLY? You sat up in the wheelhouse doing nothing but complain to anyone who would listen. Sitting down with your feet propped up setting a fine example of professionalism on a busy hectic day. You finally worked up enough nerve and disembarked and then sent me a PM on here telling me not to agree to stand a 12 hour watch: “they can’t make you do that”. WTF? Have you EVER worked in Oil & Gas?

Also, why do you feel the need to lie about your sea service on gcaptain? We don’t care that you were a supply boat guy or whatever, just don’t try to sell yourself as a 25 year Master of unlimited vessels.

Ccaptain, you may write about professionalism and pride in your work but all you have to show are words words words and - as always - your actions speak louder than your words.[/QUOTE]

My oh my, such a horrible nuclear wedgie I must have inflicted on you to elicit such a venomous response as that! OW!

btw, check the Liberia Safe Manning Certificate and Liberia Flag State Regulations where you’ll find that any ship have a three watch (vis. 8 hours per day) system when underway. That is actually an international standard but that would be lost on you not being a master and all but rather just a toadie to a Captain Niedermeyer.

Welcoming new officers aboard the NOBLE DISCOVERER! Do you look like Kevin Bacon at all?

a plastic sextant…really? Tisk, tisk!

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;85715]Once again this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Ccaptain, you may write about professionalism and pride in your work but all you have to show are words words words and - as always - your actions speak louder than your words.[/QUOTE]

I think its dang hilarious that you are carping about inflating your experience when you are the chief offender. Your resume looks like a Disney movie. Also, how can a guy be Sr. Dpo on a vessel with out DP? Like being head astronaut on the city bus.

NOW I am forced to ask the hard question of exactly WHO was supposed to be on the bridge standing watch that day back in June when the NOBLE DISCOVERER dragged anchor and GROUNDED in plain sight for the entire world to witness?

Hmmm?