STCW Training, Where to go?

I’m ready to take the STCW course and I’m looking for some options…

I’m in central PA and the closest outfit I’ve found is CMTI (Chesapeake marine training institute) about 6 hrs away

I called seaschool and they are “thinking” about having one in PA next year, the next closest is in Alabama or Florida.

Also… Is there any noticeable difference in quality of the teaching from school to school?

My MMC is on the way (just issued) and of course I have a TWIC. I’m hoping to get a deckhand job on a Tug, but I’m not going to be picking. I know I won’t need the STCW for most harbor tugs. But I’m sure getting a job without it would be hopeless.

I apologize if this has been asked before, I did some searching and was unsuccessful.

Thanks,
Austin

I went there, it was good, not great, but sufficent, I took a class a mid atlantic maritime , and did not like it.

Look on the National Maritime Center website for a list of USCG approved schools and courses.

SUNY, and Seaman’s Institute, are in NYC. There is something to be said for the community colleges in Louisiana; they are inexpensive, have frequent courses, and are close to many employers.

The Seaman’s Institute

Staten Island, NY 10301

Phone: (718) 442-5171
Web Address: www.seamansinstitute.org
Point Of Contact: Curtis Ward admin@siatsh.org

Course Schedules can be found online at and by calling (718) 442-5171.
Listed Courses are United States Coast Guard Approved.
Course Types Available

Able Seaman Courses
STCW Basic Safety Training
Master 200 GT
Flashing Light
Celestial Navigation
PIC - Tankship or Tank Barge

I’ve taken a few courses at CMTI and like it. The school, and motels are all on one road (Rt. 17). The school’s prices are on the lower end as well. If you do go, I recommend not staying at the Yorktown Motor Lodge. It’s antiquated and I had to check my shower several times to make sure Norman Bates wasn’t waiting for me. I agree with Doodlebug on his comment. I’m not a big fan of Mid-Atlantic Maritime either, very cold and the secretary that processed my MROP was an extraordinary female dog!

I went to Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy for 2.5 months of classes and was thoroughly impressed with their quality, willingness to make specific schedule changes and the quality of instruction was second to none. Those guys and gals are a class act.

I have found the customer service at Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy to be less than stellar, in the past.

Thanks for the responses…

After doing a little more research I think I’m going to go with CMTI, most people seem to be pretty happy and they are one of the cheaper ones. After all, I’ll only be there for 5 days.

MAMA (mid atlantic maritime acadamy) is more expensive and about an hour further driving. Plus, there seems to be a trend of lack of customer service and quality. (although they do have courses more regularly).

I’ll probably sign up for the early November class at CMTI. I’d like to be hired by spring, hopefully that’s not unrealistic.

Thanks again, advice is always appreciated,
Austin

Let me clarify my last statement. The quality of training at MAMA is really good. The instructors are thorough and the guy at the front desk is nice. The woman in the back was extremely unpleasant and rude. Starting out a career, I would lean towards CMTI for BST, PIC, FF and such. If you decide to advance your career, I would suggest taking MAMA’s advanced courses. They do have a broader range of classes that are geared toward licensed mariners. Hopefully, someone drops a house on the lady at MAMA and steals her ruby slippers! :slight_smile:

Once you complete your training, check out Moran, McCallister and Vane in Philadelphia and Dann Marine in Chesapeake City, MD. You should be able to get a job before spring. Good Luck!

Ive taken classes at CMTI and MAMA. Both do a great job. MAMA does have some customer service issues but the actual classes and instructors are top notch.

MAMA is also 10 minutes away so thats where I go.

Well… I sent it my “registration request” for CMTI, as long as there’s a spot I’ll be going to the November 5th class.
Once I’m “trained” I’ll be sending applications all over and won’t be too picky to get my foot in the door. I wouldn’t mind getting something in the New York harbor, as it seems the pay is better than other areas. The drive would be long for me, but still not bad when only doing it a few times a month. But, like I said… I’ll take what I can get.

Thanks again for the responses and I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

Austin

Moran of norfolk is down a deckhand, and moran of wilmington, nc is down a captain, engineer and deckhand!

Moran of Norfolk won’t hire a deckhand unless they 100% have to. I’ve seen where they have been down 2 and just worked the other deckhands to the bone.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;84808]Moran of Norfolk won’t hire a deckhand unless they 100% have to. I’ve seen where they have been down 2 and just worked the other deckhands to the bone.[/QUOTE]

Running short isn’t such a bad thing. Guys get extra work if they want it, less of a chance of being laid off and the company saves money by not paying benefits for additional employees. Er’body Wins!

As low as the pay is, the guys need to work extra for sure.

Wonder if Moran let’s employees from one division work in another (ex Moran NY working in Moran Wilmington)?

I live in Wilmington. The income to living expense ratio does not add up. I live here and work in the GoM.

I work at the moran of norfolk for two weeks, and sometimes i get a phone call to go to the moran yard in wilmington on my time off. I live 45 minutes from wilmington. Just extra money in my pockets!

[QUOTE=Wilburtucky;84802]Moran of norfolk is down a deckhand, and moran of wilmington, nc is down a captain, engineer and deckhand![/QUOTE]

I saw the add for the Norfolk deckhand somewhere online. I think they needed 6 months experience.

Austin

[QUOTE=acarter92;84670]I’m ready to take the STCW course and I’m looking for some options…

I’m in central PA and the closest outfit I’ve found is CMTI (Chesapeake marine training institute) about 6 hrs away[/QUOTE]

>There is a 5 -day class starting next Monday in the Bronx (NYC) / SUNY Maritime College you could take a train to. $1,350 tuition.

Definately go to CMTI!! Been there twice this year and they are very accomodating and reasonable. Amanda is very helpful.