STCW Training, Where to go?

It helps when the gm in Wilmington knows the guys in Norfolk.

It also helps when Norfolk doesn’t have enough people to crew the boats and won’t hire the people to fill the open positions.

Well, just got back last night from the course. I’m very happy with my experience at CMTI, good group of instructors and office people. We had a nice small class of 4 so everything went pretty smoothly… I ended up staying at the campground a few miles away (jolly rodger camp resort). Pulled my camper trailer down and got a site with electric and water for $30/ night. Sure beat a hotel… even had WIFI.

So now I’ve got the 4 certificates, I haven’t looked into it yet, but do I have to get them stamped on my MMC or are the cert. good enough?

Thanks,
Austin

Congrats man. The certs just show that you have completed the classes. The CG has no way of knowing that. You need to take the certs to the closest REC for submittal. Then the coast guard will issue the stickers for your little red book. It is not “official” till you stick them to your document.

[QUOTE=Capt Ryan;88200]Congrats man. The certs just show that you have completed the classes. The CG has no way of knowing that. You need to take the certs to the closest REC for submittal. Then the coast guard will issue the stickers for your little red book. It is not “official” till you stick them to your document.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, of course it wasn’t as simple as just taking the course… :slight_smile:

Austin

If you submit your classes thru cmti, you will get them to official status faster than doing it yourself. At least it worked that way for me having done it both ways. They had a job board there also.

For them to submit your paperwork, i believe their fee is $75. But its well worth it, there are no mistakes and i received my documents in about a month!

You were probaly in the same class as my deckhand. I think he took AB and STCW.

CMTI is great for getting an AB ticket, or STCW, but after that your forced into looking else where. Ive taken classes at Mid-Atlantic, and really thought they had their act together. It boils down to your location, for the basic classes its all the same bullshit, staten island and North-East also run good classes. Mid-Atlantic really seems like the only place for an engineers course, heading there for my DDE Unlimited Hp upgrade. If you go to Mid-Atlantic, spend the money and stay at the holiday inn, shuttle to the school, and 0% chance of getting robbed, hotels by the school are kinda shady.

I stayed at the holiday inn for 3 weeks while taking all my courses. 21x75=a shit load of money for someone who lives out of town. Courses at mid atlantic were good, no complaints except for the people who couldnt swim! So between hotel, course and other costs about 6500!

[QUOTE=Wilburtucky;88324]I stayed at the holiday inn for 3 weeks while taking all my courses. 21x75=a shit load of money for someone who lives out of town. Courses at mid atlantic were good, no complaints except for the people who couldnt swim! So between hotel, course and other costs about 6500![/QUOTE]

Wow, that makes the Bayou La Batre courses with room and board included look real attractive.

It all depends if your employer is picking up the tab. Anything spent for further education is never a waste, and is a great tax deduction is you eat the cost.