Opinions on Chesapeake Maritime Institute?

Just wondering if anybody has been there and had anything good/bad to say about it. I normally do my training at MPT but my work schedule made that difficult this time. How are the instructors? Facility? Campus? Location? Were you satisfied with your training? I know this is a little lighter fair to chew on after all of the “unions suck” “joe boss” sucks posts that have been abundant lately. I’m just going to keep doing what I’ve always done, take any class that I can get paid for and advance to the biggest license I’m eligible for ASAP before they change the rules and make it harder so I can head back out to sea and get away from all of the politics and bitchin. I won’t lie though, the entertainment value of some of these threads are worth staying up off watch just to make me feel certain that at the very least I didn’t get fucked as bad as some. Good luck out there, and I’m serious about the school. If you know anyone who’s been let me know what they thought.

I have taken a lot of classes from them and it’s a great little school. The admin is extremely friendly and outgoing. It’s not really a campus, they’ve kind of booked up most a mini-mall type building. The instructors get the info out and geared so that most can understand. It’s off of Rt. 17, in a good location. There’s several hotels/motels nearby and places to eat all within a short drive. If you bring your family, Busch Gardens/Water Country is like a 10 minute drive. I think the school is more geared for endorsements and people beginning their career though. Don’t forget to check out Mid Atlantic Maritime in Va Beach (mamatrains.com). Both schools are relatively on the low side for class costs.

Took celestial there on the advice of some people from here. Great instructors & class. Not many distractions in town like going to MPT in Lauderdale. I would recommend going there for classes. Mama’s has a bunch of people from MSC in classes there. Also cmti was built for the people of Matthews & Tangier, so it’s dumbed down for them.

Limited number of classes available, but what they do have is a good education. Geared for tugs/limited tonnage sailors. Generally on the lower end of the cost scale. If you’re flying in, you will need to rent a car, as they are a little out of the way.

I can also endorse MAMA. More classes offered, a little more expensive, but close to the airport. Geared for unlimited tonnage/MSC people. Both have special rates at local hotels.

I took my AB and Tankerman there, not a bad place to go. Smaller class sizes, geared more towards endorsement’s and entry licenses but i see they have added more. Mama also runs a good program but you may have 3-4x as many people in a class.

[QUOTE=Tugted;162007]Took celestial there on the advice of some people from here. Great instructors & class. Not many distractions in town like going to MPT in Lauderdale. I would recommend going there for classes. Mama’s has a bunch of people from MSC in classes there. Also cmti was built for the people of Matthews & Tangier, so it’s dumbed down for them.[/QUOTE]

<------Grew up on Tangier, hopes to one day be as smart as Tugted and get me one of those big limited licenses like he got! If I just keep reading dem’books and concintratin!

Good morning all,

My name is Amy Coppedge and I am one of the instructors at CMTI and ran across this post. CMTI is a small school that packs a lot of punch. With that said, we offer many courses necessary for mariners to get various levels of credentials. Our students range from 200T and below Tug Captains, yes, some are from Tangier :), 500-1600T Masters/Mates, above 1600T Masters/Mate and everything in between from Deck Hand, AB, and Tankerman. We do not dumb down our courses. We teach to the average level of the students in that class in order to give everyone the same opportunities to pass and be successful. We take pride in the fact that we teach relevant material in order to pass the exams required by the Coast Guard and also be able to hold their own in the position they fill so they actually know what they are doing and not just how to fill in an answer key. While we are a small school, we have submitted the courses necessary to maintain your STCW after January 2017 including the week long Leadership and Management course and many others you will need to remain current. I do not have a stake in the school but must say that most students that come here, love it because we cater to the student's needs with scheduling courses around your time off or providing license application assistance. Our license prep pass rate is phenomenal and guarantee it. If you have any specific questions regarding the school feel free to contact me or the office manager.

Amy Coppedge
amy.c@chesapeakemarineinst.com

Amanda Symonds
Amanda.symonds@chesapeakemarineinst.com

I can’t help y’all’s family tree’s are pine trees & go straight up & not many branches.

I did my radar renewal there and intend to do ECDIS there also. Good school with good staff. Right near Yorktown and if you can use Navy Lodge, a 20 minute drive away.