STCW clarification question

Good evening folks. I’ve searched this topic and haven’t found the appropriate answer. I’ve been looking at STCW requirements and here’s my question. Is the STCW required for working more than 12 miles offshore or working on a certain tonnage boat or both? Is the STCW something that new guys should just add to the list of requirements like a TWIC and MMD? Thank you for your help in advance.

[QUOTE=Choppersled;146487]Good evening folks. I’ve searched this topic and haven’t found the appropriate answer. I’ve been looking at STCW requirements and here’s my question. Is the STCW required for working more than 12 miles offshore or working on a certain tonnage boat or both? Is the STCW something that new guys should just add to the list of requirements like a TWIC and MMD? Thank you for your help in advance.[/QUOTE]

My understanding of it, is it is required to go into international waters and on vessels over 200 gt. Could be wrong. Whenever I try to decipher that stuff I get sleepy.

As far as your second question goes, get everything you can get to be more marketable. A lot of companies won’t even give an application to an OS without it.

The requirements for Standards in Training and Certification for
Watch-standers or “STCW” for the US Merchant Fleet is contained in
46 CFR 11.301 through 11.337. In short, the STCW regulations
apply to seagoing vessels greater than 200 gross registered tons
(500 gross tons) and higher; these regulations do not apply to:
Vessels operating exclusively on the Inland waters of the US
Seagoing vessels of less than 200 tons
Uninspected passenger vessels
Uninspected fishing industry vessels

[QUOTE=z-drive;146500]The requirements for Standards in Training and Certification for
Watch-standers or “STCW” for the US Merchant Fleet is contained in
46 CFR 11.301 through 11.337. In short, the STCW regulations
apply to seagoing vessels greater than 200 gross registered tons
(500 gross tons) and higher; these regulations do not apply to:
Vessels operating exclusively on the Inland waters of the US
Seagoing vessels of less than 200 tons
Uninspected passenger vessels
Uninspected fishing industry vessels[/QUOTE]

This is not really correct. You’re reading parts of 46 CFR 11.301(h) out of their full context. You need to read the whole thing, and take note of the following [emphasis added]:

The vessels concerned are not subject to further obligation under STCW because of their special operating conditions as small vessels engaged in [U][I][B]domestic[/B][/I][/U], near-coastal voyages." See also 46 CFR 15.1101, which says those vessels are not subject to STCW only if they are “engaged exclusively on domestic voyages.”

Vessels under 200 GRT are subject to STCW when they are operating on international voyages. See 46 CFR 11.315 and 11.319 , that’s why there are STCW endorsements for less than 500 GT (200 GRT). If these vessels weren’t subject to STCW, there would be no need for these endorsements.

I just copied and pasted!

I always thought it was basically voyages beyond the “boundary” line but it’s always so complicated for us minions.

The bottom line is that a domestic license over 200 GRT is of virtually no value outside of inland waters, if it lacks the corresponding STCW endorsements.

I am amazed by the number of people I meet sailing on master of towing, that also hold second or third mate, or master 500 or 1600, who have no idea that they cannot sail on their “big” licenses because they do not have any of the required STCW certificates and endorsements.

So more this is more accurate a summary: “STCW only applies to Mariners employed on vessels greater than 200 Gross Register Tons (Domestic Tonnage), or 500 Gross Tons (ITC Tonnage), operating seaward of the boundary lines specified in Title 46 CFR Part 7.” So my 199 GRT tug operating on a domestic voyage seaward of the boundary line is not subject to STCW. However if it operates on an international voyage, it applies. The more I read, the more I realize there are people/companies ignoring the rules.

[QUOTE=z-drive;146520] The more I read, the more I realize there are people/companies ignoring the rules.[/QUOTE]

True. I bet some companies aren’t intentionally ignoring…it may be more not comprehending? Could also be why some companies have a higher standard wanting a prospective employee to have more rather than less, even though the capacity they are serving is already covered.

[QUOTE=z-drive;146520]So more this is more accurate a summary: “STCW only applies to Mariners employed on vessels greater than 200 Gross Register Tons (Domestic Tonnage), or 500 Gross Tons (ITC Tonnage), operating seaward of the boundary lines specified in Title 46 CFR Part 7.” So my 199 GRT tug operating on a domestic voyage seaward of the boundary line is not subject to STCW. However if it operates on an international voyage, it applies. The more I read, the more I realize there are people/companies ignoring the rules.[/QUOTE]

It applies to all vessels on international voyages beyond the boundary line, with the exception of Canada as the United States and Canada have an agreementfor the mutual recognition of each other’s domestic credentials.

Thank you for the help. It makes me feel better that I’m not the only one with questions about the STCW.