STCW 2010 Renewal Requirements

I took my original STCW at my own expense through MSC. The firefighting training was great. 2-1/2 inches hoses. Acutal ship mock-ups….

I took my advance firefighting through a regular fire department staff. Nobody had any experience with firefighting on a ship. Training was conducted with 1-1/2 inch hoses in a truck container. Every day there was a different instructor. I did not learn anything that I did not already learn in my class with MSC. There was not even a mention of terms such as “stability” or “de-watering”. In short it was a waste of time taught by people who were trained to fight car fires on the side of the road.

I know folks who took their initial STCW classes in Los Angeles through city fire departments where they had zero actual firefighting training. This was because of air quality issues that prevented any fire fighting facility from conducting any live fire fighting drill on that particular day. And yet they passed STCW.

On my vessel we suit up two DCP crews every week to train for a scenario that is unique to our particular vessel. Training is serious and it is conducted by mariners for mariners.

Words cannot accurately express my excitement and enthusiasm for taking another Coast Guard approved firefighting course taught by people who marine experience is likely limited to being a passenger on a charter boat or a cruise ship.

I should amend my statement about my advance fire fighting course. Dewatering and stability was included in the course workbook - but it was never mentioned during the course because (a) the firemen teaching the course did not comprehend its importance; or (b) the fact that there was a different instructor every day allowed it to fall between the cracks.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;140322]

This also applies to all renewals of STCW endorsements starting on January 1, 2017, and is NOT one-time only.
[/QUOTE]

Can you confirm then there will be “revalidation” required for others too, including

VI-2.2 Fast Rescue Boat
VI-4.1 Medical Provider
VI-4.2 Medical PIC
VI-5 SSO

[QUOTE=Orniphobe;141349]Can you confirm then there will be “revalidation” required for others too, including

VI-2.2 Fast Rescue Boat
VI-4.1 Medical Provider
VI-4.2 Medical PIC
VI-5 SSO[/QUOTE]

Only fast rescue boat. Requirements will be the same as the others, a shorter “revaliidation” course if you have 1 year service in the last 5, longer “refresher” course if you don’t.

Is the “Leadership and Managerial Skills” course for all masters or just upper level licenses?.

If I recall correctly it is anyone with Master or Chief Mate on their STCW pages. OICNWs can also use the course to meet their requirement as well

[QUOTE=capitan1962;141403]Is the “Leadership and Managerial Skills” course for all masters or just upper level licenses?.[/QUOTE]

Any STCW endorsement for Master, Chief Mate, Chief Engineer, or Second Engineer Officer for any tonnage, route, HP, or trade restriction.

Mr Cavo,
My husband is at sea and I just received his Master’s license renewal, valid through 2019. His expiring license said “holder…meets the STCW 95 regs w/o further endorsement.” His new license says nothing about STCW at all (or ECDIS either). In the last 5 years he’s had over 900 days seatime tuna purse seining in NZ and WesPac waters. He also has NZ equivalency and works solely on a NZ vessel using ECDIS (but this may change to U.S. vessel soon). I read all the forum messages re STCW, including your post to which I am replying. My husband “renewed before Jan 1 2017,” but his license doesn’t say it expires Dec 31, 2016, as you mention in point 1. Has he lost his STCW, since it is no longer listed anywhere on his license? Do the requirements you list taking place Jan 1, 2017 apply in his situation? If he continues with his sea time does he only need the “refresher” courses? (I hope I am not asking a question answered elsewhere, this is my first post though I have been a faithful follower since 2010.) Thank you kindly for any assistance you are able to provide, and good day to you Sir.

[QUOTE=tcasta7777;141450]Mr Cavo,
My husband is at sea and I just received his Master’s license renewal, valid through 2019. His expiring license said “holder…meets the STCW 95 regs w/o further endorsement.” His new license says nothing about STCW at all (or ECDIS either). In the last 5 years he’s had over 900 days seatime tuna purse seining in NZ and WesPac waters. He also has NZ equivalency and works solely on a NZ vessel using ECDIS (but this may change to U.S. vessel soon). I read all the forum messages re STCW, including your post to which I am replying. My husband “renewed before Jan 1 2017,” but his license doesn’t say it expires Dec 31, 2016, as you mention in point 1. Has he lost his STCW, since it is no longer listed anywhere on his license? Do the requirements you list taking place Jan 1, 2017 apply in his situation? If he continues with his sea time does he only need the “refresher” courses? (I hope I am not asking a question answered elsewhere, this is my first post though I have been a faithful follower since 2010.) Thank you kindly for any assistance you are able to provide, and good day to you Sir.[/QUOTE]
You didn’t mention what license he has, but it sounds like it is for less than 200 GRT. In the past, we added that language about meeting STCW without having to do anything, but it was limited to domestic voyages. Now, to get an STCW endorsement, you need to meet specific requirements for that endorsement. Until December 31, 2016, the requirements will be less under grandfathering.

Email me at James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil with his full name and if you can find it, his mariner reference number and I can give you specific information. I’m on vacation until the first week of August and will have a ton of email to slog through when I get back, but I’ll respond as soon as I can.

So…sorry if this is beating a dead horse BUT… I have just renewed my license (Chief Engineer of uninspected fishing industry vessels of any horsepower) I have my STCW endorsement and when my renewed MMC came I noticed the “not valid after Dec 31 2016” in the column next to my rating. I also have the OICOEW rating. My question is; is STCW required for my level of license being the uninspected fishing vessel type?? If not renewed what to I actually lose? Does it negate my Chief Engineers License? Thank you in advance for anyone shedding some light on this.

1. There is a new renewal requirement for Basic Training (new name for BST). This takes effect on your first renewal that happens after December 31, 2016. If you have one year of sea time in the last five years, you must take a “revalidation” course that includes refresher training and assessment for those parts of BT that can’t be done on ship, primarily the in-water parts of personal survival and the live-fire parts of basic firefighting. This takes effect on all renewals starting on January 1, 2017, if you renew before then you will NOT get any limitations, so this requirement can be delayed by renewing before December 31, 2016. You can renew at any time, it is no longer limited to no more than one year before expiration. If you don’t have the one year of service in the last five, you need to take a comprehensive “refresher” course that is longer and more inclusive than the “revalidation” course, it covers all of BT. This will apply to all renewals, it is NOT a one-time requirement.

2. There is also a new renewal requirement for Advanced Firefighting. It is similar to the one for BT, described above. If you have one year in the last five, you can take a shorter “revalidation” course. If not, you need the complete “refresher” course. This also applies to all renewals of STCW endorsements starting on January 1, 2017, and is NOT one-time only.

3. There is also a renewal requirement for Proficiency in Survival Craft (STCW equivalent of Lifeboatman), but it duplicates what is done in the BT renewal, so if you have the one year of sea service in the last five years and meet the Basic Training renewal requirements will also meet those for BT. If you do not have the one year of service in the last five, you will need a complete “Proficiency in Survival Craft Refresher” course, just meeting the BT requirements will not be sufficient.

Mr. Cavo, I did my BST, PSC, & Advance FF last 2007…I will be renewing my license this coming November 2014, so it will be good until sometime November 2019. Correct me if im wrong, prior to renewing my license before Nov. 2019 that is the only time I need to do a Refresher Course right? So I got away from 2015 to Nov. 2019 right? Thank u very much…Every one who knew the answer u are very much welcome…Just little bit confuse about a simple wording…

[QUOTE=miami;143051]6. There is a new renewal requirement for Basic Training (new name for BST). This takes effect on your first renewal that happens after December 31, 2016. If you have one year of sea time in the last five years, you must take a “revalidation” course that includes refresher training and assessment for those parts of BT that can’t be done on ship, primarily the in-water parts of personal survival and the live-fire parts of basic firefighting. This takes effect on all renewals starting on January 1, 2017, if you renew before then you will NOT get any limitations, so this requirement can be delayed by renewing before December 31, 2016. You can renew at any time, it is no longer limited to no more than one year before expiration. If you don’t have the one year of service in the last five, you need to take a comprehensive “refresher” course that is longer and more inclusive than the “revalidation” course, it covers all of BT. This will apply to all renewals, it is NOT a one-time requirement.

1. There is also a new renewal requirement for Advanced Firefighting. It is similar to the one for BT, described above. If you have one year in the last five, you can take a shorter “revalidation” course. If not, you need the complete “refresher” course. This also applies to all renewals of STCW endorsements starting on January 1, 2017, and is NOT one-time only.

2. There is also a renewal requirement for Proficiency in Survival Craft (STCW equivalent of Lifeboatman), but it duplicates what is done in the BT renewal, so if you have the one year of sea service in the last five years and meet the Basic Training renewal requirements will also meet those for BT. If you do not have the one year of service in the last five, you will need a complete “Proficiency in Survival Craft Refresher” course, just meeting the BT requirements will not be sufficient.

Mr. Cavo, I did my BST, PSC, & Advance FF last 2007…I will be renewing my license this coming November 2014, so it will be good until sometime November 2019. Correct me if im wrong, prior to renewing my license before Nov. 2019 that is the only time I need to do a Refresher Course right? So I got away from 2015 to Nov. 2019 right? Thank u very much…Every one who knew the answer u are very much welcome…Just little bit confuse about a simple wording…[/QUOTE]

The new revalidation/refresher requirements for PBT, PSC, FRB, and Advanced Firefighting are required on the first renewal after December 31, 2016. So you can defer these a few years by renewing early. If you renew in 2014, this new requirement won’t be required for you until the next time you renew. Note that if you renew before January 1, 2017, you will still need to meet the old BST renewal requirements, either one year of service in the last five, or re-take the original courses.

Note also that the above only applies to BT, PSC, FRB, and Advanced Firefighting. For the new requirements for Leadership and Mnagerial Skills, Leadership and Teamwork Skills, ERM, Management of Electrical Control Equipment, and ECDIS, if you renew before 2017 and have not met whichever of these new requirements apply to your endorsements, you’ll get a limitation indicating that the endorsement(s) is not valid after December 31, 2016.

I have been trying (and it has been very trying) to find out about renewing my STCW.
I am sailing as an ETO, and as such I am an unlicensed officer. I was advised by
USCG some time ago that as long as I was serving on a vessel, I would not have to
renew every five years. I understand that this has changed, but I cannot find any
details of what I have to do, despite several e-mails to the USCG help address,
which go unanswered.

I am looking for some advice, if possible, on this site.

Thanks

Sometimes you really have to wonder if the schools that make so much money to teach these classes are lobbying together to make these changes. I wonder whose palms are being greased! I think we are all in the wrong industry and need to start teaching pointless “refresher” classes STAT!

This is from JD Cavo’s original post…

[I][B]“2. For Officer in Charge of a Navigation Watch (Mate, 2nd Mate, 3rd Mate) and Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch (Asst. Engineer, 3rd AE, 2nd AE) the requirement is for “Leadership and Teamworking Skills.” For this, the requirement is only to demonstrate the standard of competence, this means it does not have to be a course, it can be met by completing the applicable assessments in the new NVICs for these endorsements. The “management level” requirement for Leadership and Managerial Skills training discussed above will also meet the requirement for Leadership and Teamworking Skills.”[/B][/I]

So with that being said, I hold a 1600/3000 mate OSV, Third mate Unlimited NC, 100 ton master NC, I am understanding that I can simply do an assessment and not be required to take this class until I get a larger Masters License… Correct?

If so, where is this assessment? I have searched the CG website and have not found anything! It is entirely possible that I am not looking in the correct place, so if anyone knows anything about this please let me know!

[QUOTE=DPO Mark;155957]Sometimes you really have to wonder if the schools that make so much money to teach these classes are lobbying together to make these changes. I wonder whose palms are being greased! I think we are all in the wrong industry and need to start teaching pointless “refresher” classes STAT![/QUOTE]

Indeed. They stop by often in their black helicopters.

[QUOTE=blaineatk;157766]This is from JD Cavo’s original post…

[I][B]“2. For Officer in Charge of a Navigation Watch (Mate, 2nd Mate, 3rd Mate) and Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch (Asst. Engineer, 3rd AE, 2nd AE) the requirement is for “Leadership and Teamworking Skills.” For this, the requirement is only to demonstrate the standard of competence, this means it does not have to be a course, it can be met by completing the applicable assessments in the new NVICs for these endorsements. The “management level” requirement for Leadership and Managerial Skills training discussed above will also meet the requirement for Leadership and Teamworking Skills.”[/B][/I]

So with that being said, I hold a 1600/3000 mate OSV, Third mate Unlimited NC, 100 ton master NC, I am understanding that I can simply do an assessment and not be required to take this class until I get a larger Masters License… Correct?

If so, where is this assessment? I have searched the CG website and have not found anything! It is entirely possible that I am not looking in the correct place, so if anyone knows anything about this please let me know![/QUOTE]

They are in the NVICs for OICNW and/or OICEW. Look at Enclosure (2) of either and find the assessments whose competnce and “Knowledge Understanding and Proficiency” indicate they are for Leaderrship and Teamwork Skills. You can get the NVICs from NMC’s web page.

Thank you JD! I found them in Enclosure 3 which was the actual assessment itself. So I am assuming I simply do the 5 sign offs within that assessment and submit it to the CG, should be quick and painless!

Once again, Thanks!

So I asked the CG before I asked here… And this was their reply…

"Mr. Atk,

We received your inquiry through our Customer Service Center; I understand your question to be in regards to the OICNW leadership and Teamworking Skills for the operational level.

To be valid on or after January 1, 2017, in addition to the general qualification requirements found in 46 CFR 10.227 to renew a merchant mariner credential, each candidate for a renewal of an STCW endorsement as OICNW of vessels of 500 GT or more, must provide “evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training” as the method to satisfy the STCW competence. We require the course.

If you have, any further questions please contact us at this email address or the number below. Thank you for contacting the National Maritime Center.

V/r,"

Which sounds like they want me to take the class? Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

I took jd cavos advice anyway and am working on that small portion of the assessment. Not really any time out of my day but I just don’t want to waste the NMC time and clog the system of it won’t work.

Thanks guys

Bumping this back as the deadline (January 1, 2017) is getting close. Go back and read the first post in this thread – if you have STCW endorsements, it applies to you.

Here’s some additional information I did not include in the original:

For endorsements as OICNW or OICEW, the Leadership and Teamworking Skills requirenment can be met with a course [U]or assessment[/U]. The relevant assessments for OICNW are nos. 18.1.A threough 18.5.A in NVIC 12-14, and for OICEW, nos. 16.1.A through 16.4.A in NVIC 17-14. A course for the management level requirement of Leadership and Managerial Skills can also be used, this may be an attractive option for anyone who plans to upgrade to Chief Mate, Master, Second Engineer Officer, or Chief Engineer in the near future as they will need this course to upgrade.

For renewals of Basic Training, Advanced Firefighting, Proficiency in Survival Craft, and Fast Rescue Boats, the courses for mariners who have at least one year of service in the previous five years are called REVALIDATION courses. Mariners who do n ot have at least one year of service in the prvisous five years will need REFRESHER courses. Revalidation courses are shorter and only cover what cannot be reasonably and safely performed in shipboard drills (e.g. putting out fires). Refresher courses are more extensive and cover all of the competencies in the applicable portion of the STCW Code.

I thought I had asked this before but can’t find it…

I did the basic STCW course in the UK. Obviously the USCG won’t accept these. Can I do the revaluation course here in the USA based on the initial non USCG approved course?

Thanks

W.