SOLAS / Coast Guard CFR Alarm

There seems to be a little confusion about the alarm signals aboard a SOLAS class vessel. For years I have always thought the alarms for ships was: fire and emergency (10 seconds or more), abandon ship (more than six short bursts on the general alarm), and man overboard (3 long four times). Now that I am on a SOLAS vessel, there seems to be a different alarm code which is one alarm — 10 second ringing of the general alarm.

I have done some research on this matter.  From what I have found out is that SOLAS covers physical  and systems requirements (ie. electronic alarm) , whereas it does not cover procedures (actual alarm signal).

Are there different alarms for SOLAS vessels or do the same Coast Guard vessel alarms stand??

KJ

[QUOTE=KJ100;31779]There seems to be a little confusion about the alarm signals aboard a SOLAS class vessel. For years I have always thought the alarms for ships was: fire and emergency (10 seconds or more), abandon ship (more than six short bursts on the general alarm), and man overboard (3 long four times). Now that I am on a SOLAS vessel, there seems to be a different alarm code which is one alarm — 10 second ringing of the general alarm.

I have done some research on this matter.  From what I have found out is that SOLAS covers physical  and systems requirements (ie. electronic alarm) , whereas it does not cover procedures (actual alarm signal).

Are there different alarms for SOLAS vessels or do the same Coast Guard vessel alarms stand??

KJ[/QUOTE]

You got an oopsie in your domestic alarms. Abandon ship is more than six short [B]followed by one long[/B].

And yep, SOLAS has general emergency, which is the 10 seconds.

If you are looking for a sophisticated vessel emergency response system, contact us at Portvision. We would be willing to answer any questions you may have.

Best of luck,

Erin

Apparently per the IMO 2003 Lifesaving Appliances if a vessel is a SOLAS vessel, then they are supposed to adopt the IMO rules which is one signal, which is 7 short and 1 long, for all alarms. Then the captain, officer on watch, is to come on the PA and announce which alarm it is. This is the alarm for “all vessels”, including US flagged in US waters, that are SOLAS.

Is this true?

Someone let me know.

If so, then this is the first I have heard about it.