IMO Solas Regulations for Research Vessels 150-less than than 500 gt

Hello,
Anybody have resources, info on SOLAS requirement for international voyages. Basically, we are an 430 GT ITC (convention) and 172 GRT (regulatory). Our letter of designation States the that we are an Uninspected Research Vessel (OSV) In this regard we fall under CFR subchapter C for Uninspected vessels. We Have an ABS loadline for international voyages. My question is in looking at IMO/Solas requirements, there are no Research Vessels, but instead we seem to fall under the general category of cargo vessels. We will proably sail international (Mexico) once maybe twice in the next 10 years. 95% of our work is as a dayboat. operating 10 hour days. We are runnig into questions regarding GMDSS and BNWAS carraige requirements, as well as manning requirements. This solely is for international voyages as we are an uninspected vessel. The cost, and the fact that we are in most regards, a dayboat ask the question if there are exemptions,or other avenues to look for info as we seem to fall into this “grey area” thanks, for the feed back or info.

SOLAS has regs for the following classes of vessel

While there are no universally applicable definitions of ship types, specific descriptions and names are used within IMO treaties and conventions. The following is a non-exhaustive list ship types defined in various IMO instruments:

>A passenger ship is a ship which carries more than twelve passengers. (SOLAS I/2)

>Fishing vessel means any vessel used commercially for catching fish, whales, seals, walrus or other living resources of the sea. (SFV 1993 article 2)

>A nuclear ship is a ship provided with a nuclear power plant. (SOLAS I/2)

>Bulk carrier means a ship which is intended primarily to carry dry cargo in bulk, including such types as ore carriers and combination carriers. (SOLAS XII/1.1)

>Oil tanker means a ship constructed or adapted primarily to carry oil in bulk in its cargo spaces and includes combination carriers, any “NLS tanker” as defined in Annex II of the present Convention and any gas carrier as defined in regulation 3.20 of chapter II-1 of SOLAS 74 (as amended), when carrying a cargo or part cargo of oil in bulk. (MARPOL Annex I reg. 1.5)

>General cargo ship: A ship with a multi-deck or single-deck hull designed primarily for the carriage of general cargo. (MEPC.1/Circ.681 Annex)

>High-speed craft is a craft capable of a maximum speed, in metres per second (m/s), equal to or exceeding 3.7 times the one-sixth power of the volume of displacement corresponding to the design waterline (m³), excluding craft the hull of which is supported completely clear above the water surface in non-displacement mode by aerodynamic forces generated by ground effect. (SOLAS X/1.2, HSC Code 2000 para 1.4.30)

>Mobile offshore drilling unit (MODU) means a vessel capable of engaging in drilling operations for the exploration for or exploitation of resources beneath the sea-bed such as liquid or gaseous hydrocarbons, sulphur or salt. (SOLAS IX/1, MODU Code 2009 para 1.3.40)

>Special purpose ship (SPS) means a mechanically self-propelled ship which by reason of its function carries on board more than 12 special personnel. (SPS Code para 1.3.12)

Since the ITC tonnage you list is under 500grt then I do not believe that the normal cargo ship rules apply to you and it also appears that in reviewing the SPS regs, they also only apply to over 500tons as well, so your USCG official certificates including the “letter of designation as an uninspected research vessel” is what you have when you go to Mexico and will undergo a Port State inspection there to see if you meet Mexico’s specific regs for working in their waters.

Other than a loadline, does you vessel have any other class certificates? They will go a long way with the Port Captain (Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche, Veracruz or Progreso) where you are going.

Thanks for the feedback,
we have a COD (Certificate of Documentation) ITC tonnage certificate( ABS). As well the letter of designation as an Uninspected Research Vessel. Any ideas on who to contact to get an definitive clarification on whether normal Cargo Ship rules apply to us? thanks again for the feedback.

I would contact your local OCMI and ask them what you need to make your vessel international voyage READY. I can tell you this - MARPOL kicks in at 400 ITC. That means a CG inspector will need to attend the vessel to conduct a MARPOL Inspection in order to issue IAPP International Air Pollution Prevention and IOPP International Oil Pollution Prevention Certificates. Also, you will need a voluntary compliance sewage certificate. The last thing you want is to get detained by Port State and pay fines.

Hi,
We do have IAPP and IOPP here on the vessel. could the OCMI give us a ruling on the "Cargo Ship’ classification, or maybe some other resource. Thanks

We do have IOPP and IAPP onboard. Could OCMI help with the “cargo vessel” definition? or maybe another resource? thanks

[QUOTE=1mitrocoma;132159]We do have IOPP and IAPP onboard. Could OCMI help with the “cargo vessel” definition? or maybe another resource? thanks[/QUOTE]

See c.captain reply above.

Under 500 GRT solas not applicable except safety radio.
Cargo ship or not is irrelevant for solas purposes under 500 grt
When solas applies, If not one of the specific ship categories noted for solas, ships are treated as general cargo vessels.

the general structure of the solas regs is set up gen cargo or pax ships, then the additional requirements for subcategories are piled atop…

Is “safety Radio” considered GMDSS? we are currently equipped with Sat phone (VSAT) and SSB thanks

no, since you are under 500tons ITC you will not need a SOLAS Cargo Ship Safety Radio Certificate or a GMDSS station

CARGO SHIP SAFETY RADIO CERTIFICATE

Legislation : SOLAS 74 as amended by the GMDSS amendments (which amended the 1978 Protocol), and the 1988 Protocol (which entered into force on 3 February 2000).

Application : cargo ships engaged on international voyages (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 1, par. (a) and Regulation 12, par. (a) (iv)), of 500 tons gross tonnage and above and which are equipped with a GMDSS system which comply to Chapter IV and any other requirements of the SOLAS Convention.

Duration and validity : maximum 5 years (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 14, par. (a)).

The Certificate shall cease to be valid:

— 	if the relevant surveys and inspections are not completed as prescribed (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 14, par. (i) (i));
  — 	if the Certificate is not endorsed in accordance with the relevant regulations (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 14, par. (i) (ii));
  — 	upon transfer of the ship to the flag of another State (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 14, par. (i) (iii)).

Extension : exceptionally, when at the time of expiration of the certificate the ship is not in a port in which it is to be surveyed, the Administration may extend the period of validity for maximum 3 months to allow the ship to complete its voyage and only in cases it appears reasonable to do so (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 14, par. (e)).
See also (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 14, par. (b), (e), (f) and (g).

Surveys : — an initial survey before the ship is put in service (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 8, par. (a) (i));
— a renewal survey not exceeding 5 years, except where SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 14, par. (b), (e), (f) and (g) is applicable (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 8, par. (a) (ii));
— an periodical survey, within 3 months before or after each anniversary date of the Cargo Ship Safety Radio Certificate (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 9, par. (a) (iii));
— an additional survey as prescribed for passenger ships in regulation 7(b)(iii) (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 9, par. (a) (iv));

Request : Owner or shipbuilder to the Administration (e.g. the Maritime Inspectorate) or to an authorized Organization (e.g. a classification society).

Issue : Administration or authorized Organization (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 12, par. (a) (viii)).

Inspections and Surveys : Administration or authorized Organization (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 6, par. (a)).

Endorsements : — the periodical surveys shall be endorsed on the Cargo Ship Safety Radio Certificate (SOLAS 74, Annex, Chapter I, Regulation 9, par. c)).
— periodical survey in accordance with regulation I/14(h)(iii);
— extension of the certificate if valid for less than 5 years where regulation I/14(c) applies;
— where the renewal survey has been completed and regulation I/14(d) applies;
— to extend the validity of the certificate until reaching the port of survey or a period of grace where regulation I/14(e) or I/14(f) applies;
— for enhancement of anniversary date where regulation I/14(h) applies.

actually, this website here seems to be filled with all the information you seek about the applicability of the SOLAS regulations to your vessel. Check it out!

Cap,

I think you are a little off course on the 500 GRT for the Safety Radio Cert.

Methinks 300 GRT is the starting limit for that Cert as opposed to 500, just a little oddity in the Regs…

Plenty of details on web for thems thats needs to know. They can look for themselves.

[QUOTE=+A465B;132470]Cap,

I think you are a little off course on the 500 GRT for the Safety Radio Cert.

Methinks 300 GRT is the starting limit for that Cert as opposed to 500, just a little oddity in the Regs…

Plenty of details on web for thems thats needs to know. They can look for themselves.[/QUOTE]

that’s what I thought at first and you are most likely be correct…it was when I ran across this that I thought that the tonnage for GMDSS carriage might have harmonized with SOLAS somewhere along the way.

Anyway if it is 300grt then our guy needs a SOLAS Safety Radio Certificate and a GMDSS station compliant with area A2 waters or maybe he just needs the GMDSS station but not the certificate?

personally, I believe GMDSS to be a massive failure of monumental proportions which costs companies and mariners millions to be in compliance with for no truly valid purpose. Almost as useless as vessel security plans, certification and training and the most ridiculous TWIC cards!

A little info on GMDSS and certification of the arrangements an bord

http://www.imo.org/blast/mainframe.asp?topic_id=69&doc_id=581

[QUOTE=1mitrocoma;131797]Hello, a dayboat ask the question if there are exemptions,or other avenues to look for info as we seem to fall into this “grey area” thanks, for the feed back or info.[/QUOTE]

Your request goes to the District Commander. See CFR reference below.

46 CFR 46 Chap. I, SubChap A, part 6
6.01 - Procedures for effecting individual waivers of navigation and vessel inspection laws and regulations