So who knows that this is all about?

ECO selling it’s big anchorboats!..WHY? Are they hurting for work?

I would have thought all the big boats would be big moneymakers plus all are I am sure fully paid off.

I’m pretty sure that’s the Damon. I’ve seen it on various broker websites for at least 3 or 4 years. I’ve read that it’s gotta be sold out of trade and the states, which limits who will buy it.

The Damon is a lot older than 1998 I believe.

[QUOTE=c.captain;147812]ECO selling it’s big anchorboats!..WHY? Are they hurting for work?

I would have thought all the big boats would be big moneymakers plus all are I am sure fully paid off.[/QUOTE]

I actually saw that over the weekend and was wondering the same thing. But on the other hand, they have the anchor boat purchased from Seacor undergoing a major refit at LA Ship in Houma right now and supposedly heading for Trinidad. Rumor has it that it’s better setup to handle the big currents that run down there. Seems like it would have been cheaper to repower the Damon, change propulsion, etc…

That’s the Alex, she was set up with the spill response gear you see in the picture for brasil.

She is however in Trinidad right now.

I was thinking that’s probably just a file photo not necessarily the exact boat for sale??

I think the age and tonnage are closer to correct for the Alex as well. I could be wrong, just what I remember from being in the Gary

The GT, Length(Reg) & Age match Casey Chouest

This is old news. The Casey and Damon have been for sale for years.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;148298]This is old news. The Casey and Damon have been for sale for years.[/QUOTE]

buy why? too small? not enough BP? too old? just no market anymore?

Because in the small boat fleet everything is always for sale.

Everything becomes expendable with time…just like us. The desire by clients for newer, more capable vessels is insatiable and anchor work is down.

Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the 240’s getting sold off soon. They are dropping a 312 almost once every 1.5 months.

I just never thought Chouest would ever sell anything if they could make money with it? They just aren’t a selling type of company…

It’s the Casey Chouest. Retrofit for OilSpill for Brazil. No market for those vessels in the gulf at this time.

The Damon is old and the Casey is under powered.

That is a picture of the Casey when it was in Brazil. It has been up for sale for a few months now and is currently at LAShip in Houma. The reason it is up for sale is because of the following:

1. Compared to the Laney/Dino/Max/Holiday/Joshua/Kirt class vessels, she cannot keep up.
  2. More of the drilling these days are being performed by platforms and drill ships with DP.
  3. There are some rigs using torpedo anchors now which are a lot more permanent than conventional anchors. Once imbedded they are set forever.
  4. With less demand for traditional anchor handlers, even some of the larger anchor boats, such as the Kirt, Joshua and Holiday have been equipped with ROVs and the larger anchor boats are now doing underwater construction and multi purpose jobs.

The Casey is small compared to these other vessels. She is still a good boat, but she cannot keep up with the other larger anchor boats anymore. Without a specific job or contract, her days as an anchor handler are numbered. The Ross is going to Alaska, and the Damon, although for sale, has an ROV on board and stays busy. Additionally, with the new build plans ECO has over the next several years, there will be little room for holding on to smaller boats. Even though there will be a few vessels under 300 foot coming out, the majority will be 300 foot and larger.

Anchor work in the US is almost all gone. Floaters almost all DP now. They all just sit on around the dock. The Dino is getting a knuckle boom and being converted to a construction vessel. it was fun while it lasted.