Small time freighting

I am trying to figure out what requirements I need to haul freight in my old fishboat. Its only 45 feet OA and my extremely rough calculations would make net tonnage at about 20. No passengers would be taken, just seeing if some costs could be covered when cruising down the coast (US registered vessel).
I have looked over CFR but am not sure if I have found out all the regulations. From what I read I think I’ll need the 100ton masters and the vessel needs inspection…but again I am not sure. Maybe its not worth it, but I would like to check into it and see my options.

Here you go … maybe you can find a grant.

http://americasmarinehighways.com/

I checked the table in http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/octqtr/pdf/46cfr24.05-1.pdf and it doesn’t look good for you to [I]legally[/I] carry freight for hire. Amazingly, the CFR states that all motor vessels over 15grt must be inspected under 46CFR subchapter I.

I mean really…inspecting a vessel 15 gross tons? That’s a little toy!

Personally, I can’t imagine the Coast Guard caring one bit about you carrying somethng for somebody, but then I have to ask, what can you carry with a boat so small? I recall a little wooden 65’ cargo boat working in Maine carrying groceries to the islands offshore. Is that boat still running?

[QUOTE=c.captain;43624] I recall a little wooden 65’ cargo boat working in Maine carrying groceries to the islands offshore. Is that boat still running?[/QUOTE]

Ah, that rang a bell so I looked it up … Pro Mariner: Issue #104, Jun/Jul 2007 The 65 foot Laura B, an Army T boat.

http://www.monheganboat.com/boats.html

Your memory is scary, will have to be careful and not post too many contradictory statements. :wink:

[QUOTE=Steamer;43626]Ah, that rang a bell so I looked it up … Pro Mariner: Issue #104, Jun/Jul 2007 The 65 foot Laura B, an Army T boat.

http://www.monheganboat.com/boats.html

Your memory is scary, will have to be careful and not post too many contradictory statements. ;)[/QUOTE]

Here’s a link to the Professional Mariner article about the boat “Wood hull and wood heat: Former Army transport keeps Maine islanders supplied and warm

and here’s another sweetheart old timey woody still going on the west coast of Vancouver Island…M.V. Uchuck III

ah for the “once upon a time” world were a man could buy a boat and just put her to work

I was thinking of spirits…not those of nether worlds but wine, rum, stuff etc. You can pack quite a few cases away and I can climate control the hold…smoked salmon too. Not that I was planning on getting rich, but just a few dollars to defray some costs.

Thanks for the replies…great story there

[QUOTE=Ralph B;43632]Not that I was planning on getting rich …[/QUOTE]

Well, that part of the plan is guaranteed to succeed beyond your wildest expectations! :smiley:

[QUOTE=Steamer;43633]Well, that part of the plan is guaranteed to succeed beyond your wildest expectations! :D[/QUOTE]

There are more than a couple of boats in BC and Alaska which are owner operated carrying passengers on kayak and other expedition type voyages. I’ve thought it would not be a bad retirement gig as long as you made your expenses back and possibly enough to cover the boat’s mortgage then live aboard during the off months. Of course, if you didn’t have a mortgage then still easier to swing it. Might be fun poking into way backwater inlets, fishing and telling sea stories are night. Sadly though, no getting to drink along with the pax while you’re telling your stories. That part would not be fun…bummer!

Btw, if you are over 100grt, you can carry up to 12pax uninspected. Under 100tons and the limit is 6pax.

[QUOTE=c.captain;43659]There are more than a couple of boats in BC and Alaska which are owner operated carrying passengers on kayak and other expedition type voyages. I’ve thought it would not be a bad retirement gig as long as you made your expenses back and possibly enough to cover the boat’s mortgage then live aboard during the off months.[/QUOTE]

Most of those guys are making a small fortune … out of a big one.

Maybe my abacus needs calibration, but I come up with about 20GT, 40NT I was wrong in my initial post. No plans for passengers as there isn’t any room, besides I am not a very good host (too uncouth). I could buy the cargo and since it is owners property get around the rules that way. Thanks for the CFR link that was very helpful.

[QUOTE=Ralph B;43665]Maybe my abacus needs calibration, but I come up with about 20GT, 40NT[/QUOTE]

I think you were looking at the back side of the thing. Either that or your boat is a raft.

Last time I checked “Net” was smaller than “Gross”. You might try and check again.

[QUOTE=CaptAndrew;43715]Last time I checked “Net” was smaller than “Gross”. You might try and check again.[/QUOTE]

It is a fishing boat. Maybe he has a lot of nets onboard. . . .