Reflag and Jones Act micro tug

Looking for some direction on this as I haven’t found too much info online.

Can I Reflag a <26ft 7t tug from canada to US, and do towing, and salvage operations in US waters? Not sure if it would be considered ship assist, as the vessels will be towed up the river to the yard.

If this is possible, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

thanks!

I do not believe there is any US build requirement for vessels under 5 grt…lots of Canadian built boats engaged in US fisheries

[QUOTE=c.captain;140661]I do not believe there is any US build requirement for vessels under 5 grt…lots of Canadian built boats engaged in US fisheries[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I have owned several Canadian built vessels, but its under 5 net tons. I’ve seen 45 footers slip under that.

There is also a waiver process for smaller foreign built vessels. It is typically used by foreign built yachts which want to carry passengers for hire.

of course…net tons

There is also a waiver process for smaller foreign built vessels. It is typically used by foreign built yachts which want to carry passengers for hire.

yes, administered by our most favorite folks are MarAd but only for passenger vessels under 300grt and no more than 12 pax

So under 5 net registered ton?
Is there a different tonnage measurement process that will occur to abide by US standards? or will the Canadaland certificate tonnage transfer over?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=sixmassive;140668]So under 5 net registered ton?
Is there a different tonnage measurement process that will occur to abide by US standards? or will the Canadaland certificate tonnage transfer over?[/QUOTE]

I believe a vessel less than 5 tons need not (or possibly can not) be documented, then I would imagine anyone’s tonnage is adequate but if documentation is sought, then you can go with simplified admeasurement or by tonnage rules in 46CFR. If tonnage rules are used then either you submit to the USCG to determine or hire a naval architect or class society to work it out. I think in your case being so small you will come in under 5 net tons without any problem at all.

46 U.S. Code § 12102 - Vessels requiring documentation

(a) In General.— Except as otherwise provided, a vessel may engage in a trade only if the vessel has been issued a certificate of documentation with an endorsement for that trade under this chapter.

(b) Vessels Less Than 5 Net Tons.— A vessel of less than 5 net tons may engage in a trade without being documented if the vessel otherwise satisfies the requirements to engage in the particular trade.

Talking about the Bratt tug?

[QUOTE=rshrew;140672]Talking about the Bratt tug?[/QUOTE]

Sure sounds like it, but I think the Bratt’s well over 7 tons.

[QUOTE=TMcG;140767]Sure sounds like it, but I think the Bratt’s well over 7 tons.[/QUOTE]

not displacement (weight) tons but net (cargo volume) tons

Subchapter G 46 CFR 67 has all the info. Vessels of at least 5 NET tons, commercial use, are required to be documented. If you have your vessel admeasuered by a Class Society e.g. ABS, to prove it is less than 5 NET tons, they will issue a certificate of tonnage on behalf of the Coast Guard. That is your ticket to get your vessel registered through the state of principal use. If it measures over 5 NET tons, you have a great pleasure craft!