SIU wages

What are the wages like in the SIU for a AB Special ?. I’ve been considering signing up. Just realized they have a hall in Jacksonville, Florida where I live so it would be Covienent for me.

It varies ship to ship. Tankers generally pay better.

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;187284]It varies ship to ship. Tankers generally pay better.[/QUOTE]
Wait! Slow down! Don’t bury the poor guy with information!

Wasn’t this already asked?

[QUOTE=catherder;187295]Wasn’t this already asked?[/QUOTE]

Once a week lately.

Mjordan22: the answer is around 40K/yr. base. You can double that without giving yourself a hernia.
Caution: I nearly tripled it once but I did give myself a hernia.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;187304]Once a week lately.

Mjordan22: the answer is around 40K/yr. base. You can double that without giving yourself a hernia.
Caution: I nearly tripled it once but I did give myself a hernia.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny.
Too bad we don’t have buttons for emotions like on facebook. I would have pressed the laugh button.

AB Special is restricted to 1600grt if I’m not mistaken, good for tugs but not ships. An AB Limited is the minimum required for over 1600 grt.

Not quite. AB special can constitute all AB billets on vessels 500GRT or less and 50% of AB billets on any other vessels. AB limited can constitute all AB billets on vessels 1600GRT or less and 50% of AB billets on all other vessels. Ab unlimited is exactly that, no restrictions. So AB special is good for any tonnage but not for more than 50% of required ABs on vessels over 500GRT. See https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/46/7312.

I also thought a special couldn’t make the overseas vogage to another country but could fly to where the vessel is and work. Let me know if I am wrong. I never looked in to it.

Wrong O my big bellied friend, see below that cat has it right. On the tankers I was on we had 3 unlimited, 2 limited, and 1 special. And my was it special.