Best paid mariners?

What vessels/company crewmembers get paid the most? I’m an AB sailing deep sea with SIU and the most I’ve heard of an AB making is 3300 every 2 weeks, 12 hour days. Does it get better than that?

[QUOTE=“Jnx;114145”]What vessels/company crewmembers get paid the most? I’m an AB sailing deep sea with SIU and the most I’ve heard of an AB making is 3300 every 2 weeks, 12 hour days. Does it get better than that?[/QUOTE]

Is that before or after taxes? NY tug AB’s are around $300.00/day for 12 hours total.

[QUOTE=Jnx;114145]What vessels/company crewmembers get paid the most? I’m an AB sailing deep sea with SIU and the most I’ve heard of an AB making is 3300 every 2 weeks, 12 hour days. Does it get better than that?[/QUOTE]

er. ah. not to ding the saccco empire. … Offshore oil On Forigen flag Drilling units in the GOM Typically has roations of 21/days. 12 hr days, Many you have to pull your own travel. But the pay is markedly higher. (Health ins, 401k, and some have bonus’s ) might be worth a look. But be warned. it’s not “a sailors life for me” enviorment. But there is a lot of oppurtunity. Mgith be worth investagation.

Rubberrhib brings up a good point. Is this take home. or gross? Since this is a Hall gig, is it a total of half the year? or is it 4 months, then sitting on the beach waiting for a new job? Is the total compensation in the figure? Vacation? 401K health? Make sure when you ask for wage info you take it all into account.

Good call. Another couple of things to add: Travel and overtime. There was another thread a couple of months back with some really good reply’s. In this day in age we must consider the total package. Your day rate is important. However, travel, 401k, and medical coverage are just as important. 2014 will be an interesting year with the new health care bill set to pop off.

ABs at HarveyGulf making $400 a day.

Best Over Paid Mariners = Pilots

NY Barge “captains?” Mate pay to run pumps. Required number or characters

U mean lead tankerman

With an AB Unlimited I would say the best paid AB’s would be a Bosun overseas on a drilling rig working as an expat. It is around 115K tax free, good benefits paid by the employer with an 8% match on 401K, plus travel, training and other expenses. If you just use the salary it is around $630 bucks a day tax free.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;114146]Is that before or after taxes? NY tug AB’s are around $300.00/day for 12 hours total.[/QUOTE]

After taxes

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;114185]With an AB Unlimited I would say the best paid AB’s would be a Bosun overseas on a drilling rig working as an expat. It is around 115K tax free, good benefits paid by the employer with an 8% match on 401K, plus travel, training and other expenses. If you just use the salary it is around $630 bucks a day tax free.[/QUOTE]

Oh, wow. Just an AB unlimited ticket required? What region?

[QUOTE=Jnx;114186]After taxes

Oh, wow. Just an AB unlimited ticket required? What region?[/QUOTE]

For most overseas rigs, AB and Bosun positions are filled with local crews (nigerian, brazil, indonesian). But if you can get it and are lucky enough to stay for a bit before they nationalize your position, then its a pretty good gig.

I’ve been away from NY for a couple years now but the pay at a company moving oil barges was something like this:
Tug mate : $540 per day
Lic eng : $520 per day
Unlic eng : $500 per day
Barge capt : $520 per day
Barge mate $430 per day
A.B. : $320 per day
Again, this was a few years back and doesn’t cover all of the positions. It’s just a general overview of what’s down there. With the ‘Kirbification’ of half the east coast since then I don’t know if its gotten better or worse.

ABs working offshore Oil rigs. Internationally/Domestic. Betwen $240/ $330 a day. There are bonus’s for O/s work. Espically as Bosun.
over seas taxes are usually paid by company. Effectively Federally Tax Free. in this case.
Pay Overseas is salaried. So you get 240/day each day and payroll comes either every 2 wks or every month.
Travel is paid. (training is paid)
Although Travel is mariner class ticket.
Lots of Training.
SO when you add it up you’re talking between 75- 88K /yr. for a 28day rotation. For an AB? Yes. In the GOM it’s a bit less but right now that’ just the way it is.

[QUOTE=mainecheng;114200]ABs working offshore Oil rigs. Internationally/Domestic. Betwen $240/ $330 a day. There are bonus’s for O/s work. Espically as Bosun.
over seas taxes are usually paid by company. Effectively Federally Tax Free. in this case.
Pay Overseas is salaried. So you get 240/day each day and payroll comes either every 2 wks or every month.
Travel is paid. (training is paid)
Although Travel is mariner class ticket.
Lots of Training.
SO when you add it up you’re talking between 75- 88K /yr. for a 28day rotation. For an AB? Yes. In the GOM it’s a bit less but right now that’ just the way it is.[/QUOTE]

What drilling contractor is using expat ABs?

Even in the US Gulf of Mexico a Bosun makes about $530 bucks a day on a drilling rig. It is a good gig if you ask me. A good Bosun is a huge asset to a rig.

Is it difficult to go from deep sea 3rd mate to tug mate?

Yes it is.

Indeed. 99.9% chance you’ll be an AB for a good while, indefinitely if you can’t run a boat from the get-go.

That is unless its a do-nothing “mate’s” job then anyone with a license (or not) can do it.

[QUOTE=z-drive;114164]NY Barge “captains?” [/QUOTE]

Don’t get me started on this ‘Barge Captain’ Crap. They are PIC. Or as I like to call them TICs (Tankermen In Charge) They hang around, don’t do anything, and suck the life blood out of the rest of us. But all kidding aside, some of them are aces. But the ones who matriculate from manned barges to ATBs’ (A Tankermans Bed and breakfast) have a hard time fitting in. They just don’t think they have to do anything on the tug maintenance wise or to be a shipmate. Too many years being on a lone watch, not interacting with anyone is a hard thing to learn new habits when joining an ATB.

So, for me the position of ‘best paid mariner’ goes to PICs.