AB Special for tugs

Is an AB special acceptable for tugs or do you have to be AB limited? I only qualify for AB special right now and I’m debating on taking the course now or waiting til I can get AB limited. Any thoughts? I also thought about STCW but I was told unless I travel to foreign ports, I can’t complete the sign-off sheet for it and they won’t stamp it in my MMD.

AB special is all you need for tugs.
RFPNW just needs to be done offshore, there is no requirement about going foreign. It cannot be completed in inland routes though, and there is a minimum tonnage as well.

Can rfpew be completed on the great lakes?

I mean rfpnw.

What is an AB Special anyway? AB Limited, Unlimited, OSV, etc… I understand but AB Special is still a mystery to me.

AB Special means u have to wear a helmet at all times, crew change on a very short bus and you must compete at the “special” olympics for AB’s…

I crack myself up.

See 46 US Code 7312.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;122208]See 46 US Code 7312.[/QUOTE]

Look boys! I found a unicorn! That might have been the easiest to understand explanation I’ve ever had from the CFR’s. Quick, catch it before it gets away! So, now my understanding of AB-Special is that it’s tantamount to an AB-Limited-Limited. AB-Limited qualifies for up to 1600-GRT and AB-Special qualifies for up to 500-GRT, not unlike the officers’ licensing scheme. Maybe they should start calling 500-ton mates and captains “Mate-Special” or “Master-Special”. We’re all special in our own way, aren’t we?

If you go down the bayou you’ll just be considered “captain” #1-34 if you have a license, same idea

Almost. Except that AB Special and AB Limited can fill 50% of the required ABs on any vessel (even unlimited). They can fill all AB spots within their respective tonnage categories.

Several of these ratings especially AB OSV should be gotten rid of.

[QUOTE=“seriously;122200”]Can RFPNW be completed on the great lakes?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so. It needs to be time outside the boundary line.

[QUOTE=“Capt. Phoenix;122235”]

I don’t think so. It needs to be time outside the boundary line.[/QUOTE]

You can do it in a simulator at a school if the school is cg approved

[QUOTE=“raydercha;122236”]

You can do it in a simulator at a school if the school is cg approved[/QUOTE]

The assessments, yes. But you still need time “in training” on a vessel sailing outside the boundary line.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;122235]I don’t think so. It needs to be time outside the boundary line.[/QUOTE]

Currently, that’;s correct. But our proposed rulemaking would accept time ion the Great Lakes, and other inland could be used for part of the service requirement. However, right now that’s only a proposal.

[QUOTE=“jdcavo;122284”]

Currently, that’;s correct. But our proposed rulemaking would accept time ion the Great Lakes, and other inland could be used for part of the service requirement. However, right now that’s only a proposal.[/QUOTE]

How is the government shutdown effecting the implementation of the new roles?

I just reread the PDF checklist. It seems there is a loophole. It says a full mission simulator that is approved by an approved course signed off by a properly credentialed instructor is admissible. For whatever reason I cannot cut and paste the PDF. I could be misinterpreting?

[QUOTE=raydercha;122310]I just reread the PDF checklist. It seems there is a loophole. It says a full mission simulator that is approved by an approved course signed off by a properly credentialed instructor is admissible. For whatever reason I cannot cut and paste the PDF. I could be misinterpreting?[/QUOTE]

You can’t get the sea time on a simulator. That is for the assessments.

Understood. I guess I was taking for granted that anyone going for rfpnw would have 180 days? Thanks for taking the time.

[QUOTE=“raydercha;122349”]Understood. I guess I was taking for granted that anyone going for rfpnw would have 180 days? Thanks for taking the time.[/QUOTE]

But that 180 days has to be spent outside the boundary line and I believe over a certain tonnage. Plus, normal deckhand time won’t count…