Shot Record Card

I was told I could get a shot record card at my Health Dept. But when I called them they told me they no longer issue them. Can someone advise me how I can now go about obtaining one.

Regards

The last few times that I have seen shot record booklets were at Clinics or Doctors Offices that specialized in Travelers Medicine.

The only shot that you must have a record of (administered at least 10 days before) international travel (to / from certain countries mostly in South America, Panama, and Africa) is a Yellow Fever vaccination.

Yellow Fever vaccine is a “live virus” vaccine that is potentially dangerous, so only certain approved clinics in the US may administer the YF vaccine. There should be an approved clinic in every large seaport, such as New Orleans. Some doctors in smaller cities are approved to order and administer the YF vaccine. This requires waiting for the vaccine to arrive. They will try to talk you out of getting the vaccination.

The clinic will provide you with the Yellow Book," formally it is the “International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis” as approved by the World Health Organization (CDC 731 (formerly PHS-731)). The Yellow Book is about the same size as your MMC and your passport, but not so thick. The clinic will record the vaccination and stamp your yellow book.

You can probably have other shots recorded in the yellow book too, but I only have YF recorded in mine.

There are many other shots that you should have depending on where you might be going, but as far as I know Yellow Fever is the only one that is actually required by international authorities. I have heard stories about people being put right back on the plane to where they came from because they did not have proper proof of YF vaccination.

Up to date yellow fever vaccinations are required when going to most west African nations. Now, I have heard that if your shot card isn’t up to date, some localities will offer to give you one with a suspect needle, or take money in lieu of same. I have not personally seen this, but I always make sure that my shot card is up to date. I still have the one I was issued some 34 years ago.

I just dug thru my Naval records and found mine. Form # PHS-731 (rev.9-71) INTERNATIONAL CERTIFICATES OF VACCINATION Yellow/manilla in color.

I don’t see yellow fever on it? I thought for sure I had that one also plague and some other that made your arm hurt like hell.I know I have damm near everything else though!

I guess I should add this to my “papers” pile

*** Duh, Typhoid twice no less.lol

[QUOTE=cmakin;76098]Up to date yellow fever vaccinations are required when going to most west African nations. Now, I have heard that if your shot card isn’t up to date, some localities will offer to give you one with a suspect needle, or take money in lieu of same. I have not personally seen this, but I always make sure that my shot card is up to date. I still have the one I was issued some 34 years ago.[/QUOTE]

REPLY Although it is extremely rare, Yellow Fever does exist in Panama and Colombia (and elsewhere in South America). If you try to fly to Costa Rica from Panama or Colombia without proof of Yellow Fever vaccination, they won’t even let you on the plane until you have the Yellow Fever vaccination and WAIT 10 DAYS.

I’ve seen quite a few marine job postings that require a Yellow Fever Vaccination.