Self-prep for Original Master less 200 GRT NC

I’ve received my NMC approval letter to test for original master less than 200 GRT NC. Would appreciate hearing recommendations on best software prep for the 5 modules I have to test. Lapware, Hawsepipe, Captain Joes, others? I use a macbook. Many thanks, safe sailing, gpk

[QUOTE=gpk;188483]I’ve received my NMC approval letter to test for original master less than 200 GRT NC. Would appreciate hearing recommendations on best software prep for the 5 modules I have to test. Lapware, Hawsepipe, Captain Joes, others? I use a macbook. Many thanks, safe sailing, gpk[/QUOTE]

The only software that I’m aware of that runs on the Mac platform is The Upgrade U App.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;188486]The only software that I’m aware of that runs on the Mac platform is The Upgrade U App.[/QUOTE]

That’s right…for whatever reason most are not Mac compatible. Pretty sure the hawsepipe and mariner advancement thumb drives are not, nor is the capt Joe cd.
Try seasources.net or lapware.org…downside to these is you need an Internet connection.

Out of curiosity, have any of you that own these programs ever tried running them in a Linux distro using Wine?

Could be an alternative, if it works well, to those running Apple machines and don’t feel like forking the cash for Windows 7/8/10.

If it works you wouldn’t even need to dual boot. Just install a Linux distro as Live media on a USB, allocate some space for permanent storage, install Wine and start the course software. Just a thought.

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;188494]Out of curiosity, have any of you that own these programs ever tried running them in a Linux distro using Wine?

Could be an alternative, if it works well, to those running Apple machines and don’t feel like forking the cash for Windows 7/8/10.

If it works you wouldn’t even need to dual boot. Just install a Linux distro as Live media on a USB, allocate some space for permanent storage, install Wine and start the course software. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

What did he say? Is that in the “Techno-Babble dialect” of English ?

Lapware is Windows only.

Maybe the solution is a Windows on Mac set up ?

I’ve used Lapware on my Mac for all my upgrades with no issues. Safari, Firefox, and Chrome seem to work just fine. Even though Chrome has phased out use of Java and Firefox will be following suit. If you go to their website it shows what the requirements are. It’s about browsers and plug-ins. Not what operating system you have. However, there is at least one download (new Colregs handbook) that is apparently Windows based only. Upgrade U on my iPhone.

I’ve used Seasources.net and Mariner Advancement for previous upgrades and they were fine… But I’m currently using UpgradeU and will never use anything else… One time app purchase of $30 and it has everything you need right on your iPhone or iPad…No wifi necessary. Tailors your studying and practice tests to the particular license you’re studying for… IMHO the best test prep out there.

There really isn’t much available for mac. There is UpgradeU for IOS (Ipad, IPhone). I started a project which makes all of the Coast Guard Exam questions available for free. At the moment it include all modules including engineering. If you have access to a Windows 10 computer, it is available as a free download from the Windows Store. Just do a search in the Windows Store for “Coast Guard Exams”. Only fifty questions per module will be available upon download, but you can unlock the rest form the menu by running ads. It should take about a night to unlock them all. I had thought to port it to Android, IOS, and web but don’t know if it is going to be worthwhile since the Coast Guard is taking the questions down again. At any rate, it’s free if anyone wants to check it out. On a side note, since the database is already complete it wouldn’t be a huge deal to port this to OSX(Mac) if there is enough interest.