Sailing Endorsement

So I’ve been wondering about this sailing endorsement for a merchant marine license and I can’t seem to find anything specific about it on the National Maritime Center’s web site. Can anyone fill me in on what’s actually required to get the sailing master endorsement on a merchant marine license? Thanks!

46 CFR 11.424 through 11.428 details the requirements.

For example:
46 CFR 11.424(b): In order to obtain an officer endorsement for sail or auxiliary sail vessels, the applicant must submit evidence of 12 months of service on sail or auxiliary sail vessels. The required 12 months of service may have been obtained prior to issuance of the master’s license or MMC endorsement.
(c) In addition to any required examination, the applicant must comply

http://www.mptusa.com/courses/sail_or_auxiliary_sail_endorsement.html

Auxiliary Sail, or Master of Sail Vessels?

I applied for a 100-ton master with a sailing endorsement on it as I had OVER 360 days on sailboats from 5 tons to 399 tons

What i ended up with was a 100-ton master of power vessel near coastal AND a 200 ton master of sail near coastal. never could figure that out
why i got a 200 master of sail???

maybe they calculate the tonnage or seatime differently for sail

What is the difference between Master of Sailing or Sailing Auxiliary? The reason I bring all of this up is that I’m thinking about circumnavigating on a sailboat for a year or so and am trying to figure out if I can get anything on my license for having done it.

Master of Sail is earned using sea time from a sail vessel that has no auxiliary propulsion. Not much chance of getting one of those these days.

Aux Sail is earned on sailing vessels that have engines, i.e. auxiliary propulsion.

Ahhh, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

[QUOTE=Capt_Anonymous;13819]Master of Sail is earned using sea time from a sail vessel that has no auxiliary propulsion. Not much chance of getting one of those these days.

Aux Sail is earned on sailing vessels that have engines, i.e. auxiliary propulsion.[/QUOTE]

i have a 200 ton MASTER of sail and every vessel I have been on has had aux. power, one was a squared rigger 178 feet long 399 tons and the other was a 27 foot stiletto catamaran with a 15hp on the back along with a private sailboat that was 77 tons 120 feet long also with aux. sail

the 27 foot catmaran gave me a 6-pack license.

[quote=Mr 100-ton;13825]i have a 200 ton MASTER of sail and every vessel I have been on has had aux. power, one was a squared rigger 178 feet long 399 tons and the other was a 27 foot stiletto catamaran with a 15hp on the back along with a private sailboat that was 77 tons 120 feet long also with aux. sail

the 27 foot catmaran gave me a 6-pack license.[/quote]

Well maybe I’m wrong then. Anyone else know the difference?

[QUOTE=Capt_Anonymous;13827]Well maybe I’m wrong then. Anyone else know the difference?[/QUOTE]

It would be one of the few times, I am posting my STCW certificate so you can take a look, maybe I read the certificate wrong but it does say MASTER, but also says aux. sail so maybe I am wrong.

Capt A you are 100 percent right again, a little internet digging brought this up

An “endorsement” is a provision added to
a license that alters its scope or application. A license to
operate motor vessels must be specifically “endorsed” to
permit service aboard sailing vessels or auxiliary sailing
vessels. The difference between a sailing vessel and an
auxiliary sailing vessel is that the latter has an auxiliary
means of propulsion (i.e., an engine).
Refer to the individual license requirements under “Sea
Service Requirements Regulations” for license en-
dorsements for service on vessels of 200 gross tons or less;
but for licenses greater than 200 gross tons refer to 46
CFR 10.401(f).

Now I wish I had not told them about the 15hp on the back of the sailboat, not that it was any use but in the icw

The Coast Guard credits time on a sail vessel of over 50 tons to count for a 500-ton license, while time on a vessel over 100 tons counts for a 1600-ton license.

Apparently I am doing things backwards like the OP was doing. What navic explains the tonnage calculations for an Aux Sail endorsement? I have a 1600 Oceans, and a MTV. Time on a 7 1/2 ton sailboat will get me what tonnage endorsement? Time on the sailboat is all NC. Will tonnage restriction or route be applied?

Tonnage, yes. Waters, no. If you have an oceans license and great lakes sail time your oceans license gets a sail endorsement but you are required to have minimum sail tonnage to get the endorsement.

They will probably give you a 25t aux sail maybe 100t it depends on how the sail tonnage is looked at. Your oceans endorsement will apply towards your sail as well.

So… I have a Chief Engineers license, Motor and gas turbine. I do not have any type of deck license at all. I sail sailboats as a hobby. Can a Aux sail or sail endorsement be put on a ChEng licnse, or would I need to have some form of deck license first that the sail/aux sail license or endorsement would be added to?

You definitely need the deck license.

[QUOTE=Worldmariner;183918]So… I have a Chief Engineers license, Motor and gas turbine. I do not have any type of deck license at all. I sail sailboats as a hobby. Can a Aux sail or sail endorsement be put on a ChEng licnse, or would I need to have some form of deck license first that the sail/aux sail license or endorsement would be added to?[/QUOTE]

You want an engineer license endorsed for sail vessels?

1 Like

I imagine it would entail being licensed to fix sails.

1 Like

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;183940]I imagine it would entail being licensed to fix sails.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure you’d have to demonstrate to the CG that you have the knowledge to handle needle and thread after total loss of wind pressure.

1 Like