100-ton Master application questions

I’ve passed the required 100-ton Master testing at a USCG approved school and have completed all the MMC requirements: TWIC, physical, drug, etc. I’ll submit my application at a REC this week.

I own a 19 GRT sailboat, and have accumulated all of my sea-time aboard this vessel. On the application I’ve requested 100-ton Master – this strategy was recommended by the school instructor, because, “You never know…you might get lucky.” Realistically, can I expect to get the 100-ton, or is a 50-ton the best I should hope for?

Also, I’m asking for a sailing endorsement based upon 25 years of sailboat experience/ownership and have several U.S. Sailing course certifications. I’m trying to save making another 250 mile drive to the REC to take the sailing endorsement test. What are my chances?

[quote=Azure42;29497]I’ve passed the required 100-ton Master testing at a USCG approved school and have completed all the MMC requirements: TWIC, physical, drug, etc. I’ll submit my application at a REC this week.

I own a 19 GRT sailboat, and have accumulated all of my sea-time aboard this vessel. On the application I’ve requested 100-ton Master – this strategy was recommended by the school instructor, because, “You never know…you might get lucky.” Realistically, can I expect to get the 100-ton, or is a 50-ton the best I should hope for?

Also, I’m asking for a sailing endorsement based upon 25 years of sailboat experience/ownership and have several U.S. Sailing course certifications. I’m trying to save making another 250 mile drive to the REC to take the sailing endorsement test. What are my chances?[/quote]

I did the same thing you are doing…
What you technically will have is a 100 Ton License with a 50 Ton limitation, once you get 90 days recency on a larger vessel of appropriate tonnage, you will be able to upgrade it to the full 100 Ton license…

Sure, there is always a chance that someone at NMC will make a mistake and you may get what you asked for…But dont count on it…

As far as your sailing certs go I honestly have no idea how they will handle that…The school that you took the 100 Ton course didn’t offer the auxillary sail course…?

Thanks for the reply, Shellback.

The school does offer a sailing endorsement course – for another $200 and not until June. I’ve checked out the test questions for the endorsement and they are a breeze. I just don’t want to have to schedule another trip to the REC to take the test if I can wrap it up when I submit my application package.

I agree, it’s a very simple test…Maybe your certificates will hold some value…I am curious to see how it works out…Keep us posted…

You will have no problem getting your sail endorsement as long as you show proper documentation of your time on a sailboat. If you own your boat, this is usually done on the Small Vessel Service Form which you can find on the Coast Guard Website.

Thanks guys…I appreciate the answers. I’ll drop off the application package on Friday.

I don’t believe that the certifications will carry any weight at all. You will end up taking the test. Either at a REC or a school.

Where are you located?

You are required to take the sailing test to get the endorsement. If one needs to study for this test, they should not be granted the endorsement. It is a very simple test that demonstrates almost nothing when measuring one’s knowledge of sailing.

PMC, I couldn’t have said it better…I was actually disappointed and felt like I was gyped when it was over…100.00 for that???
Oh well, on to more challenging things…

The sailing test questions for the endorsement are very simple and basic – I’m not worried about taking the exam, it’s the 250 mile drive back to the REC to take it that I want to avoid. I emailed the sailing endorsement question to the iasknmc site and their answer is quoted below. 46 CFR 11.428 (b) says the same thing. Is the exam for those w/o enough time on a sailboat?

[I]Mr. Williams,

The requirements for Aux. Sail Endorsement is 360 days on a sailing vessel. The sea service that you submitted will be evaluated to determine if you meet the requirements.

Thanks for contacting the Maritime Information Call Center.

Josetta L. Gladney
Security Assistance Corporation
Contractor for U.S.Coast Guard
MICC-Lead
National Maritime Center
100 Forbes Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25404 [/I]

[QUOTE=Azure42;29749]The sailing test questions for the endorsement are very simple and basic – I’m not worried about taking the exam, it’s the 250 mile drive back to the REC to take it that I want to avoid. I emailed the sailing endorsement question to the iasknmc site and their answer is quoted below. 46 CFR 11.428 (b) says the same thing. Is the exam for those w/o enough time on a sailboat?

[I]Mr. Williams,

The requirements for Aux. Sail Endorsement is 360 days on a sailing vessel. The sea service that you submitted will be evaluated to determine if you meet the requirements.

Thanks for contacting the Maritime Information Call Center.
[/I][/QUOTE]

I’m not surprised at the answer, though I don’t know how you framed the question.

The exam is not enough for the endorsement. You need time [B][U]AND[/U][/B] the exam.