New Exam Requirments for 100 Ton Masters Near Coastal

I just recieved an approval to test from the USCG NMC and was surprised to see the exam criteria for 100 Ton Near Coastal Master has changed. Rules of the Road is now 50 questions instead of 30, there is an additional 20 question deck general section, and chart plotting is now 20 questions with a 90 percent requirment rather than 70.

I was able to look up some of the new question through a friends Lapware account and they are way more difficult than anything that is in the old exams. The new deck section is all about cargo storage and stability; with question requiring actually calculating changes to center of gravity and other formulas that I’ve never head of being in the 100 ton tests. The charting section is not only longer with a high passing grade but it you have to be able to calculate range at which lights and other aids would be visible given a certain eye height as well as be able to make current and tide calculations.

If you go to the new exam guidlines on the NMC website you’ll see that the 100 ton exams are now identical to the 200 ton exams (its a large PDF doc, scroll down to page 88 for the requirements):

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/deck_and_engineering_guide.pdf#page=66

Does anyone know anything about this? Are the private maritime course and test centers going to have to adjust their standards now as well? I can’t find anyother information on this anywhere on the web.

Its kind of bizarre. I thought I was prepaired to test on my own without paying twelve hundred bucks for a class until I got the letter telling me I’ll have to take seven modules instead of four. I’ve got a buddy who just finished a two week 100 Ton class at Maritime Institute in San Diego and he was tested according to the old standards and material. I can’t help feel like I’m getting the deep d for trying to test on my own.

Incidentally, does anyone have any suggestions for study materials for the 200 ton exam?

The rules change is not new. I made that change in about 2007 when I was at the NMC. The only change was the number of questions, not the content or passing grade. Ther was no reason to have a different exam for “lower level” licenses that for unlimited. 46 CFR Table 1.910-2 requires the same subjects for all, and every question in the database that could appear on one could also appear on the other.

I wasn’t aware of the rest of the changes. 46 CFR Table 11.910-2 clearly notes (with a footnote “7”) that some subjects required for 200 GRT are not required for 100 GRT.

I found that the 200 was easier than the 100 but that is because I did them back to back. the 200 ton test only took me 15 minutes. I did them at MPT in fort lauderdale. Looking back they are not that hard, just study for it. Might want to look into to going to school in louisiana, they seem to have the best prices,Personally I would test at a school rather then test at the rec, you will pass at the school. In this economy you could make a deal for taking the 2 classes back to back, when I did the 200 ton there were 3 100 ton captains that took over 2 hours to do the test, back to back is the best way. do not know were you are located but look into sea school

I think you may have missunderstood what I was saying. I’m not apply for a 200ton license. However, the coast guard is now requiring the same test for both credentials. Also

You can argue that it was already easier to pass the test through a school because school essentially tell their students exactly what questions will be on the exams beforehand while rec exams are drawn from a larger pool of questions. However, after these changes the REC exams are now longer, more difficult, and require a higher passing grade for the same exact credential. How this is fair (or even legal)?

Also, how did you manage to pass a 20 question chart plotting test that requires 90% to pass in 15mins?

Another oddity I found was the someone upgrading from a OUPV NC would not have to take the newly added modules. Nor would someone upgrading from a 100 Ton Inland credential. Am I crazy or does this seem like a mistake by someone at the NMC. I know this would be the first time in the history of the NMC that a mistake has been made… but I’m just saying.

there are only 3 charts, spent every night going over them again and again, had a copy of murphy books to study from along with the guides given out by the school,I still have all the study material for the 100 and 200. If you keep doing the problems over and over again it gets easier. Rules of the road took less than 10 minutes. the more you study the easier it gets, by the way Capt Lee did all but 1 module in a day for his chief mate test, how come he can do that and others take the test several times,study, study and study some more,it gets easier. I plan on taking my 3rd mate soon,plan on trying to do it in a day but we will see as things have changed at the rec

by the way, the school did not tell us what questions to study from,they gave them all to us, we DID NOT get our choice of charts,maybe i got lucky but i studied for it and was prepared for it, that is why it was easier

Does that mean the tests for higher tonnage will be harder? Like for the 1600 ton.

[B]Tomaso Wrote:[/B]

[B]You can argue that it was already easier to pass the test through a school because school essentially tell their students exactly what questions will be on the exams beforehand while rec exams are drawn from a larger pool of questions. However, after these changes the REC exams are now longer, more difficult, and require a higher passing grade for the same exact credential. How this is fair (or even legal)?[/B]

Whether you take the test at the school or at the Coast Guard for 100 ton they are randomly generated and have the same questions. It is no easier at the school or at the Coast Guard. I originally took my 100 ton Master test at Sea School in Mobile, AL. The guys that studied, passed the test. The ones that screwed off, failed. I think you are getting worked up for nothing. It will really just take a little effort and you will be just fine. With all the study aids available now you are basically studying the test over and over. Then when it comes test time you will recognize most of the questions right away depending on how much time you put in. I can tell you right now that it is possible to see every single question that the Coast Guard has in their data base for a particular test. Not necessary but possible.

It sounds like you have down a lot of research on this. If you put in that same effort in preparing for this test you will walk out of there with your head held high.

[QUOTE=keelhaul;49603]Does that mean the tests for higher tonnage will be harder? Like for the 1600 ton.[/QUOTE]

500 Ton, 1600 ton, 3rd Mate/2nd Mate. Chief Mate/Master it is all the same questions.

I wonder when this changed ? I went to the NMC site and the checklist is still the same…

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/master_100.pdf

There is definitely no guarantee at my school that you will pass. As Capt Lee says, those who study pass, those who don’t study generally fail.

I did not mean that if you went to school they would pass you, what I meant was that the teachers are willing to work with you, I have had to take a tests over in school, if I had not gone to school I would not have know what I did wrong and how to fix it, the REC are there to test only NOT to give advice on how to do the problem,First time I took GMDSS i failed, my own fault I did nto study enough, went back a month later and finished element 7 before people finished element 1, that is what studying 60 minutes a day for 1 month will do,

I talked to someone at the NMC today and they said the changes were made in January. Private maritime schools will have to adjust their ciriculum and exam requirements as their courses come up for renewal. They said they’re getting around to changing the check list on their site which list the old exam modules.

My main objection with the new standard was the new chart plot module. There is a pretty big difference from a 10 question 70% section and a 20 question 90% section. Plus the level of difficulty of the new module is significantly greater.

I had been preparing for the exam on my own using materials that a friend had used to pass the exams at the REC back in August. He had been given the old exam of 30 question RR, 60 Deck, 20 Nav Gen, 10 Charting, with passing scores on 70% with the exception of the RR at 90%. These are also the basic exam guidlines used by most schools.

I had all the old test pretty dialed. The new material and standards just kind of blindsided me. What it basically comes down to is that CG is now requiring you know in depth stability calculations, cargo storage terminology and procedures, light visability calculations, and tide and current calculations. None of this things are particularly difficult. However, in the past they were definately not included in the 100 ton exam. I just got back from visiting a friend who is a graduate of Cal Maritime Academy. He let me borrow some of his old text books because this new stuff is not included in any of the old 100 ton study guides.

On the plus side, if I ever upgrade to 200 ton I shouldn’t have to take any additional exams.

They need to make the deck general section a 90% section instead of 70%. I’m kidding. I always found that section trouble with too much material to cover.

The only thing I disagree with… it IS easier to test at a school! The schools are a way to NOT have to deal with the USCG ‘doublespeak,’ confusing regulations and one way denial and dis-approvement of applications and paperwork. This takes a HUGE amount of stress off license candidates. It is funny how maritime academy’s have their ‘own’ liaisons’ at REC’s when us hawsepipers have to scratch and claw our way through the regs and paperwork. Then some say: ‘These license mills’ only teach the exam. With ‘Murphy’s Books,’ just what is being taught at Academies? Hint (the exam!)