Master Inland raise in grade to Master Near Coastal

Ipresently hold a 100 ton master inland and applied for a raise in grade tomaster near coastal. With my application, I submitted a certificate for therules of the road that I did in anticipation that I would need it. I received aletter today from the NMC saying that after a review of my application / seaservice, I was approved for master 50 ton near coastal. It also said that I hadto schedule with a REC to take:
MODULE 221 DECK GENERAL + DECKSAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

Does this sound right? If so,is it 30 questions? Any tips? I scheduled to take it Monday 2/27 in Baltimore.

Thanks!

That doesn’t sound right to me…
According to the deck exam guide, to upgrade from 100 ton inland to near coastal you should have to take rules( which you knew), and deck safety and environmental protection, which is a 70 question test you must score a 70 percent to pass…you should not be reduced in tonnage to 50 tons either…But without more info on your sea service that is not a given.
Nothing else should be required.
I would call NMC and try to pose this question to the evaluator and ask why he is requiring something not required by the deck and engineering guide (look it up on the NMC web site , Google it, or search this site for a thread with a link).
You may have to ask for reconsideration, the next logical step if you don’t receive the correct response.
Or you could just take the tests, no big deal and probably quicker, but I’m sure you don’t want a reduction of tonnage…
Good luck, hope this helps…

Leigh

Maybe NC/Ocean deck general is different than inland? Their posted exam guide may be wrong.

I don’t know about the reduction in tonnage but there may be a reason for that as well.

[QUOTE=tbuscaptjeff;63712]Ipresently hold a 100 ton master inland and applied for a raise in grade tomaster near coastal. With my application, I submitted a certificate for therules of the road that I did in anticipation that I would need it. I received aletter today from the NMC saying that after a review of my application / seaservice, I was approved for master 50 ton near coastal. It also said that I hadto schedule with a REC to take:
MODULE 221 DECK GENERAL + DECKSAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

Does this sound right? If so,is it 30 questions? Any tips? I scheduled to take it Monday 2/27 in Baltimore.

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

It sounds right. There are two differences in the exams for Master 100 Inland and Master 100 N/C (Master 25, 50, and 75 take the same test as Master 100). The first is rules, the other is deck general. It sounds like they are crediting your rules course and only requiring you to take the near coastal deck general module.

Want the questions?

Thanks for all the help! I have the tonnage for my 100ton inland but it’s double for NC so I can understand that part. If I can’t pass the rec exam I wonder if NMC will let me just retake the master upgrade at an approved school in lieu of the rec exam?

Jeff

Hey Everyone,

I am being asked to test on Module 221 Deck safety / Environmental. Can anyone help me find the best place to study the questions? I looked on Seasource but couldnt get a captcha to register. Testing tomorrow. Really could use some guidance. Thanks!