Rules of the Road

Hi guys

Currently studying for my OOW ticket, was wondering if anyone has any top tips for learning the rules? :confused:

Been looking at a few iphone apps, got Imray, but not impressed with it. Looked at ‘Rules of the road made easy’, looks pretty good but wondering if anyone has used it before I part with any more $$$ :smiley:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rules-of-the-road-made-easy/id445341822?ls=1&mt=8

Basically looking for something to help me when I’m on the go,
Cheers!

NavRules on iPhone. Best ruled app I’ve seen.

Hear hear. I use it constantly.

Thanks for the info.

I bought ‘NavRules’ and ‘Rules of the Road Made Easy’

-NavRules is a good all round app, much better than imray
-Rules of the Road Made Easy seems really good for studying specifically for exams

Hope this helps anyone else looking!

Cheers

The only problem with NavRules is it’s expensive, $30, but you get what you pay for. It’s well worth the price.

Farwell’s will help you broaden your knowledge of the “what if I…” questions.

Try this site for practice exams. Sign up for an account, and practice, practice, practice. It’s free…

http://www.seasources.net/Rules_of_the_Road.htm

[QUOTE=captbbrucato;52372]Try this site for practice exams. Sign up for an account, and practice, practice, practice. It’s free…

http://www.seasources.net/Rules_of_the_Road.htm[/QUOTE]

I like that thought, thanks for all the feedback, more than I expected

after some hours playing, really happy with ‘Rules of the road made easy’ i think its better value than the pretty steep $30 :stuck_out_tongue:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rules-of-the-road-made-easy/id445341822?ls=1&mt=8
i think thats the link anyway :slight_smile:

especially if you have exams ahead :slight_smile:

the best way to learn rules of the road, and i speak from personal experience here, is to have sex with a european female merchant marine officer. seriously, it worked for me.
back in 1994 i was a 3rd mate and about to sit for my 2nd mate’s ticket, my last month onboard the ship before going home to test I had a nice mutually satisfying extended fling with Miss Inge (from Belgium?) the 2nd officer. very cute but - HELLO- she put mayonaise on her french fries!! the relationship was doomed from the begining.
anyway, I have never flunked a rules test after that.

so there.

[quote=richard8000milesaway;52378]the best way to learn rules of the road, and i speak from personal experience here, is to have sex with a european female merchant marine officer. Seriously, it worked for me.
Back in 1994 i was a 3rd mate and about to sit for my 2nd mate’s ticket, my last month onboard the ship before going home to test i had a nice mutually satisfying extended fling with miss inge (from belgium?) the 2nd officer. Very cute but - hello- she put mayonaise on her french fries!! The relationship was doomed from the begining.
Anyway, i have never flunked a rules test after that.

So there.[/quote]

sour cream and chives is good on french fries

Is she still teaching?

Sounds better than Murphy booking it.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;52378]the best way to learn rules of the road, and i speak from personal experience here, is to have sex with a european female merchant marine officer…
so there.[/QUOTE]

[B]Well Richard, thats just great. [I]hummmpfft…[/I] Maybe I should go talk to Dr Thockmorton…[/B]

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;52403][B]Well Richard, thats just great. [I]hummmpfft…[/I] Maybe I should go talk to Dr Thockmorton…[/B][/QUOTE]

hmmm. yeah, I guess my one-on-one training sessions with Inge were done without much thought to you other ladies. sorry, my bad. :wink:

For my 1600 Mate N/C I sat down with the COLREGS, a Pen, A Blank Note Book, Colored Pencils and a Drawing Pad. I Wrote the Rules Verbatum Long Hand-Twice, Cover to Cover and drew Every Light Configuration and Day Shape there is. I also did in excess of Fifty Practice Tests, used Flash Cards and Listened to the Rules on Tape while when ever Possible.

Then Again, I did all of the work for this License on my own to Prove to Myself that I could do it with out Class Room Help or Memorization from a Computer Screen, from the basics of Navigation right through the Stability Formulas, Weather Routing and Hurricane Avoidence.

It all Depends on what your goal is-To Learn the Rules or Simply Pass the Test.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;52434]hmmm. yeah, I guess my one-on-one training sessions with Inge were done without much thought to you other ladies. sorry, my bad. ;-)[/QUOTE]

[B]No prob. I was just thinking… maybe I want to be a [I]Pilot… [/I]lol[/B]

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;52658][B]No prob. I was just thinking… maybe I want to be a [I]Pilot… [/I]lol[/B][/QUOTE]

Now that, I can help you with…

I just downloaded the trialware of NavRules. It is free to try and $20 to buy but that’s for the PC. I emailed the guy and asked if I have to pay again to get it on my iPhone?
I’ll probably go with NavRules on the PC and the less expensive “Made Easy” on the iPhone…

Anybody know if old school Flashcards are available? I actually have a set that looks like playing cards but it only shows the light configs. I was hoping to find a set that asks questions like right of way, who is the stand on vessel, etc. If I can’t find a set I’ll make my own.

[QUOTE=dougpine;52365]Farwell’s will help you broaden your knowledge of the “what if I…” questions.[/QUOTE]

Doug,

The “What if’s” are exactly what I trying to become expert at, not so much for the test but for actually making the right decisions while conning the ship (and properly answering the Captain’s “What if scenarios” wouldn’t hurt either). So far the ROR software I’ve found only helps with lights and sounds (I only just started studying so if this is wrong, forgive me…)

My question is this; I found Farwells, the book but do they offer a software study version? Is Farewells the only good “What if” study option? Any general tips on studying and getting better at making ship driving decisions based on the adherence to the ROR would be appreciated. I realize nothing can replace experience but my goal is to minimize “bad decisions” until I get the experience, LOL…

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Navy SWO;55154]Doug,

The “What if’s” are exactly what I trying to become expert at, not so much for the test but for actually making the right decisions while conning the ship (and properly answering the Captain’s “What if scenarios” wouldn’t hurt either). So far the ROR software I’ve found only helps with lights and sounds (I only just started studying so if this is wrong, forgive me…)

My question is this; I found Farwells, the book but do they offer a software study version? Is Farewells the only good “What if” study option? Any general tips on studying and getting better at making ship driving decisions based on the adherence to the ROR would be appreciated. I realize nothing can replace experience but my goal is to minimize “bad decisions” until I get the experience, LOL…

Thanks![/QUOTE]

An excellent resource for the “what if” questions are the NTSB, USCG, and MAIB investigative reports that come out on a regular basis.

I don’t think there is an electronic version of Farwell’s.