Looking for a good rules of the road, practice program

Hi Everyone,
I just completed my celestial nav course, for my oceans endorsment and now I need to take a rules of the road test at the exam center.
I thought it would be a good idea to do a little review, since it has been awhile.
Does anybody know of a good program for the computer that might help me out.

Thanks in advance and merry Xmas everyone:)

Capt. Joe’s

I really like www.seasources.net

I have a couple of practice exams I could send you

1st, Read, study, remember only this: COMDTINST M16672.2D, NAVIGATION RULES (International-Inland), (you can download it free).

2nd, The USCG Navigation Rules pool of questions and diagrams is in the public domain, practice with those only,<!-- #EndEditable --> (you can get these free also).

3rd, Take your exam and pass it easily!

I second Shellback’s suggestion. seasources.net not only helps with the content, it really helps get you in the test taking mode.

A good online system site is www.uscgq.com . Questions are totally at random, no grouping by the rule and very easy to use…and best FREE!

All those websites are great. I found that I saw the greatest improvement in practice test scores was after I sat down with the Murphy’s book full of the questions, read the question, [I]highlighted[/I] the answer. Don’t bother reading the wrong answers. If I don’t highlight the answer I usually don’t read it all the way and get distracted. I suppose you could print out the question bank of the USCG website and do the same thing.

Thank’s all

a lot of great stuff here

I usually not one for spending extra money but Lap Ware helped me a lot! I just got done testing for 1600 masters. 100% on all mods. maybe lucky, but I passed. Good luck

Try MarinerAdvancement.com Captain exam prep software. Comes on flashdrives, has no limits of use and can be transported easily between multiple computers, Plus it is inexpensive.

I know it is a pain but just read the rules book a few times thats what I did. That will work the best

[I][quote=Cap Robert Gray;23258]…Does anybody know of a good program for the computer that might help me out.[/quote][/I]

The Coast Guard’s exam questions are at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/deck_exams.asp . For International and Inland rules of the road, every deck license regardless of tonnage has the same exam, so every question in the pool might appear on your test.

Booksellers that I have talked to are currently selling the 2008/2009 versions of the Murphy’s books. Sounds like most of the 2010 volumes will be available over the next few months, and some of the volumes will not be revised.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;24952][I][/I]

The Coast Guard’s exam questions are at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/deck_exams.asp . [/QUOTE]

I’ve been studying these and have a question that a quick e-mail to the NMC couldn’t answer. Are the questions on the website ALL of the potential questions? The reason I ask is that some of the diagrams in the PDFs don’t have questions associated with them. Are they just “extra” diagrams or are there questions missing in the files posted online?

Thanks in advance,
Brian Russell

[quote=Brian;29157]I’ve been studying these and have a question that a quick e-mail to the NMC couldn’t answer. Are the questions on the website ALL of the potential questions? The reason I ask is that some of the diagrams in the PDFs don’t have questions associated with them. Are they just “extra” diagrams or are there questions missing in the files posted online?

Thanks in advance,
Brian Russell[/quote]

The posted question pools are complete as of the day they are posted, there are no active questions that could appear on a test that aren’t posted. There are some diagrams with no questions, either because the questions that went with the diagram rae no longer valid and have been archived, or because the diagram was prepared in anticipation of questions that werer never written.

They are needed, When a question say’s see example 37, 12, 33, ect, those are the examples you need you need.

I found the coast gauard questions were the best to work with. I went through each question and highlighted the answer. Then I just read the question and then the answer. I did’nt try to pick the right answer, I read the right answer.

I am a slow learner and I found this worked best for me.

I was going to recommend this myself. The site is run by a current Cal Maritime student (that I have not been in touch with for quite some time). I just sent him an email to make sure he is still running the show.

I would really only trust two sources for online study material. USCGQ.com and Lapware.org

These two sites actively monitor the NMC question database and let their users know when the questions have been updated. Where others give little information if any.

I know at CMA everyone who used USCGQ.com to study for their Rules of the Road class (based off U.S.C.G. official questions) and mates exam passed with flying colors. USCGQ doesn’t repeat questions (although they are random), shows you any images related to the question without having to buy the illustration book, and keeps your score information. There are tons of other features, so I’ll stop blabbering and just say check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation for seasources.net. Since your post we have had many new advances to our online testing site. they can be viewed here http://betabox.seasources.net/
Steve