Rules of the Road referencing while on watch

When I was a deck seaman and a BM in the Navy, I noticed several of the OOD’s would constantly be cracking open the Rules of the Road international-inland book, some more than others. Some would use it to pass the time while steaming in open water and be productive, whereas some it seemed needed to look something up prior to executing any maneuver, regardless of how busy things were (or at least have someone look something up for them )
Is what I witnessed representative of a responsible mariner? Or does this show a lack of knowledge?

It never hurts to refresh yourself on the Rules.

Dude, you pose the question as if to imply confirming the Rules is a sign of incompetence.
That’s a bad assumption and sets a dangerous tone on the bridge.

I would applaud any OOD to reference the Rules at anytime.

Sorry if it sounded like I was implying anything, I was asking out of ignorance as I have zero experience navigating a vessel; I don’t consider a helmsmen (E-nothing) equating to experience.
Reason I asked is i was reading the book, and reflecting on what I remembered from the Navy. Were they being responsible? Or were they just gun decked into their OOD qual?
Anyways, thanks or the replies, I agree that it’s reassuring they are confirming (as opposed to not knowing anything) their decisions by the book.

Try coming in Bells Pass or going through the Hole in the Wall and looking in the book to decide passing arrangements, see how long you last.

The whole reason you take a 70 question test that you have to make a 90 on is to prove that one has a very thorough understanding of the rules so one knows what to do when things get hairy.

If the rules don’t come to one like 2nd nature after 6 months of sitting behind the wheel then it’s time find something else or resign ones self to being a paper work mate.

That said looking at the rules during some down time is not a bad idea. Everyone can use a little refreshing now and then, but having to reference the book in a fast developing situation is not the time.

Did not mean to imply that reaching for the book moments before an ‘Oh shit’ moment is appropriate.

All I meant is if the bridge environment is one where referencing the rules is perceived as a sign of ineptitude, it will discourage strengthening knowledge by all.

I think it’s wholly expected for an officer to reference the ROR while on the bridge on watch. I believe that to be the reason that a copy of the book is required bridge material. Isn’t that actually one of the rules in the book, that it has to be kept close at hand to the steering station? Now as for the hole in the wall or anything else, obviously there is a time to crack open the book and a time not to. If you use the book a little more during situations when you have the time to then you’ll need to reference it that much less when you can’t afford the time.

Rule #1. Pay attention

Rule #2. Don’t hit anyone

Rule #3. Don’t get hit by anyone

Know the rules well enough for simple situations, know your vessel well enough and see rule number one for complicated situations.

Rule #4. Law of Tonnage.
If they are bigger then you stay out of their way.

Thats the one the WAFIs ignore.

Rule #1 - If grey, steer away.

[QUOTE=RichM;138255]Rule #1 - If grey, steer away.[/QUOTE]

My early career claim to fame was steering through a naval gunnery exercise, the position for which the geniuses on the two Ticonderoga-class cruisers gave in their Pan-Pan as being 30 miles ASTERN of me.

That’s the golden rule

I look stuff up all the time. Usually about lighting moored/anchored barges, but nothing wrong with taking a peek here and there, its a good thing. What would be bad though would be looking things up before making a maneuver, you need to make those decisions off of what you observe and know, not what you interpret the book to say in the heat of the moment. Easy way to second-guess yourself; second-guessing is bad. If I second guess myself I put the brakes on that instant and re-evaluate the situation with another set of eyes.

It’s those GODDAMNED whistle signals that get me! Seriously…has anyone here ever used them?

Tell you what, I’ll be damned if I could quote you the overtaking and answering whistle signals now for international or inland and get it right?

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;138232]Try coming in Bells Pass or going through the Hole in the Wall and looking in the book to decide passing arrangements, see how long you last.

The whole reason you take a 70 question test that you have to make a 90 on is to prove that one has a very thorough understanding of the rules so one knows what to do when things get hairy.

If the rules don’t come to one like 2nd nature after 6 months of sitting behind the wheel then it’s time find something else or resign ones self to being a paper work mate.

That said looking at the rules during some down time is not a bad idea. Everyone can use a little refreshing now and then, but having to reference the book in a fast developing situation is not the time.[/QUOTE]

The shrimpers running 3 abreast in belle pass probably never read the book let alone have a copy abd.

And yet they seem to be lasting just fine…

Anyone who says their whopping 6 mos of licensed watch standing has enabled them to operate on some mythical 2nd nature with regards to nav rules is either a liar or a fool and in no way to be trusted.

The next time somebody signals your vessel with 6wpm morse code, let me know if you get 80% , let alone 70%, of it transcribed correctly.

just another test…

We used to use 1 or 2 short for turning, even if there was absolutely no one around. Overtaking, however, I never saw being used.

[QUOTE=c.captain;138267]It’s those GODDAMNED whistle signals that get me! Seriously…has anyone here ever used them? Tell you what, I’ll be damned if I could quote you the overtaking and answering whistle signals now for international or inland and get it right?[/QUOTE]Oh come on!Who among us hasn’t hung out on the stern at anchor in fog waiting to bang that shit out of that gong (which always seems to look like some misplaced garbage can lid stashed in the day shapes locker) for a glorious rapid 5 seconds after some other sap is trying to ring the bell on the bow that even despite its brass construction has a striker that suffered the ravages of life at sea and is now severed from its pendulum…Yeeeaaah, you know what I’m talking about!

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;138269]The shrimpers running 3 abreast in belle pass probably never read the book let alone have a copy abd.

And yet they seem to be lasting just fine…

Anyone who says their whopping 6 mos of licensed watch standing has enabled them to operate on some mythical 2nd nature with regards to nav rules is either a liar or a fool and in no way to be trusted. [/QUOTE]

Fine a year, either way one has to pick up on them pretty quick in the oil field or get run off. Especially in the 100 ton world where one get their license and immediately start holding their own watch.

Also we must have different definitions of 2nd nature because if I see a red running light off my starboard I instinctively know the have the right of way. Same thing when I guy says he’s going to pass me on the 2 I start moving over a little to starboard if I can and looking out my port side for him to pass.

Then again I may be special and unique snow flake and picked up on all this stuff real quick, but I wager its the time I spent in the wheelhouse as a deckhand after I decided I was going to get my masters license learning how the rules worked in the real world that helped most.

The next time somebody signals your vessel with 6wpm morse code, let me know if you get 80% , let alone 70%, of it transcribed correctly.

just another test…

That’s comparing apples to oranges. I haven’t had to deal with Morse Code since I tested, and I doubt anyone else here has either, but I deal with rules of the road everyday I’m on watch. So one you know the fundamentals of through constant usage, the other fades from lack of use.

A racing sailboat has about an encyclopedia book of rules, special conditions, appeals, and precedents to deal with. You could keep a full time lawyer busy with them. OTOH 99% of the situations you deal with can be handled by what can fit on a 3x5 index card and we pretty much expect anyone on the helm to know that much. The things that get me are weird light combinations like dredges and so on. I would also suspect that if it is an odd situation that is not obvious to YOU, it may not be obvious to the OTHER guy either :wink: