RFPNW time

So I got the signatures done for the RFPNW but I dont have enough sea time on vessels over 200 GRT, (stupid tugs and tonnage doors). Getting that time done now, If I read it right need 180 days with half being over 200 GRT, so is that 90 actual sea days or 60 sea days working the 12 hr sched (1.5 days for 12 hr days). Cant seem to find the answer on that one if anybody can help.

thanks and safe happy new year to everyone.

chris

60 days of 6x6 equals 90 sea days.

Awesome, thanks Capt. You know how all this coastie crap is, depends on who you ask as to the reply

I have never seen them care about actual physical days on board. They only want “sea days” which is an 8 hour day. Therefore 12 hour days are (almost) always 1.5 “sea days”. There may be a case where this is wrong, but I doubt it.

The 1.5 we get does no apply to with RFPNW. So you need 90 actual days in the wheel house.

What policy letter deals with rfpnw again? I want to see that in writing.

www.uscg.mil/nmc/marpers/pag/14-02.pdf

A day of approved seagoing service for qualification as a RFPNW is an eight-hour day under
training carrying out duties associated with navigational watchkeeping functions under the direct
supervision of the master, the officer in charge of a navigational watch, or a qualified rating
(STCW Regulation II/4). A qualified rating for training purposes is an able seaman holding an
STCW certificate. The applicant must provide a record showing each day, or fo ur-hour period,
when service under training was completed.

It doesn’t say you dont get 1.5 hours for 12 hour days. It says a day is 8 hours, like normal. So you are saying they don’t give people 1.5 days for 12 hour days?

46 CFR 10.103 Definitions

Day means, for the purpose of complying with the service requirements of this part, eight hours of watchstanding or day-working not to include overtime. On vessels where a 12 hour working day is authorized and practiced, such as on a six-on, six-off watch schedule, each work day may be creditable as one and one half days of service. On vessels of less than 100 gross tons, a day is considered as eight hours unless the Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection determines that the vessel’s operating schedule makes this criteria inappropriate, in no case will this period be less than four hours

If you enroll into the RFPNW course at Fletcher Technical Community College you can reduce the required 180, 8 hour days to 60, 8 hour days.

[QUOTE=captamericas;60182]…If you enroll into the RFPNW course at Fletcher Technical Community College you can reduce the required 180, 8 hour days to 60, 8 hour days.[/QUOTE]

Not really. The requirement is for 6 months of sea time, or an approved training program that includes at least 60 days of shipboard training. If it’s just a course, it doesn’t change anything. It must be a complete training program in whicjh the school has training agreements with vessel operators, and the vessel takes you on as a trainee (not a regular AB, OS, or deck hand). If all you do is go to the school for a few days, the most you’ll get is an endorsement as RFPNW for look out only. To remove the lookout restriction, you need to get ALL the sea time and do the assessments.

Just got off phone with NMC, so for anybody else that needs to know, 60 days of sea time working 6 and 6 watch is enough. No physical no drug test and no fee req, so maybe something easy from the Coasties for a change.

Im glad that I’m wrong!

Doesnt mean your wrong brother, as we all know the rules are interpreted by each evaluator how ever they see fit

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;60297]Im glad that I’m wrong![/QUOTE]

No Jem you are not wrong. Whoever that guy talked to at the NMC is wrong he needs 90 days. Sometimes I wonder why the agents answer questions they don’t really don’t know the answer to. It may have been the way the guy asked the question. He won’t get his RFPNW, then probably post on here how the NMC screwed him, and then leave the industry. It’s all there in the policy letter.

The policy letter does not say that the normal 1.5 days for 12 hours of watch keeping does not apply. Where do you see that?

Actually diesel, if i submitt my paperwork and they wont give it to me ill just figure its buisness as usual at the coasties and try again latter. 2 different people at the NMC told me time and a half applies.

If the vessel is authorized to divide into two watches, 12 hours of watchkeeping coulod be ciunted as 1.5 days for RFPNW. Note that it is 12 hours of watch to get the enhanced credit, and also that creditable service (wether 8 hour days or 12 hour days) for RFPNW isn’t just time on a vessel, it has to be “associated with navigational watchkeeping functions.”

This does surprise me since the policy letter states that “A day of approved seagoing service for qualification as a RFPNW is an eight-hour day under training carrying out duties associated…”

And the USC states “a day of approved seagoing service is an 8 hour day of watch keeping” but they still allow 1.5 days for two watches. Why would RFPNW be any different?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;60421]If the vessel is authorized to divide into two watches, 12 hours of watchkeeping coulod be ciunted as 1.5 days for RFPNW. Note that it is 12 hours of watch to get the enhanced credit, and also that creditable service (wether 8 hour days or 12 hour days) for RFPNW isn’t just time on a vessel, it has to be “associated with navigational watchkeeping functions.”[/QUOTE]

Mr. Cavo:

I have NEVER seen this credit given. In dealing with about 30 people all on OSV’s, all divided and authorized into 2 watches. NMC evaluators have ALWAYS required 180 full training days of them (myself included, and believe me I tried) to fulfill the requirement for RFPNW, OICNW watchstanding, and the Mate OSV program. The answer was always the same " you cannot get more than 8 hours of watchstanding credit in a 24 hour period." The record of watchstanding form does not even allow for it. The form just gives blocks for the beginning and ending dates of training even going so far as to stating on the form that each day is an 8 hour day giving no other option. If you’re saying we can get 1.5 time credit. Please inform me as to how so that I may help others. Thank You.