Retesting?

Hello all fellow mariners. First time on the forum. I have a question someone out there might help me with. I currently hold a 500t master/1600t mate inland license. I got my the license 6 years ago upgrading from 100t. When I went to the Boston REC, the evaluator informed me I’d be taking the 1600 master test even though I only qualified for the mate license. After passing she handed me my credentials for my 500t master/ 1600mate and said now all I have to do to upgrade to master is show seatime and I will not have to retest. Fast forward 6 years and I finally have my 360 days and about 1500 unusable A/B days. Thankyou seniority!. Anyone out there have a similar experience. I’m bringing my paperwork to Boston next week and am half expecting them to say, “no, buddy, you have to take that test again” . Should I worry?

[QUOTE=oceallaigh;136001]Hello all fellow mariners. First time on the forum. I have a question someone out there might help me with. I currently hold a 500t master/1600t mate inland license. I got my the license 6 years ago upgrading from 100t. When I went to the Boston REC, the evaluator informed me I’d be taking the 1600 master test even though I only qualified for the mate license. After passing she handed me my credentials for my 500t master/ 1600mate and said now all I have to do to upgrade to master is show seatime and I will not have to retest. Fast forward 6 years and I finally have my 360 days and about 1500 unusable A/B days. Thankyou seniority!. Anyone out there have a similar experience. I’m bringing my paperwork to Boston next week and am half expecting them to say, “no, buddy, you have to take that test again” . Should I worry?[/QUOTE]

No need to start worrying until the NMC gets your application and begins to “evaluate” it. The folks at the REC will only be proofing your application to make sure everything is there… Then the fun begins as your career will be in the hands of the NMC. Sorry I can’t type the evil mad scientists laugh. Good luck!

You should be able upgrade to master 1600 just with the sea-time. I did mine back when I did (had split 500 master/1600 mate like you) at the time.

Looked in the deck exam guide today, and it looks like as thought that the exams for master 500 and master 1600 are the same. if you passed the 500 there should be no reason to re-test to get master 1,600. Although mine was oceans I did this the same way as i was short a few days and needed to get to work with the bigger license ASAP.

It should be exam code 25AR, http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/pdfs/deck_and_engineering_guide.pdf