Mate 1600 vs Master 500

Greeting everyone,

I would like to say thank you for all the information provided throughout the forums, it has helped tremendously.

My question is, what is the better license to hold, a Mate 1600GRT or Master 500GRT? Considering current market, grandfathering provisions, deadlines, etc.

I have recency tonnage >100GRT, but according to the CFR’s I will loss this in November, because it will date past three years in November.

If I file my papers this week I will be good for the Mate 1600, If not I think I will loss the window. I have plenty of sea time and tonnage for the Master 500GRT, but don’t want to miss my opportunity for the Mate 1600GRT.

I currently hold a Master 200GRT/500GT.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Apply for both, you should be able to test for both at once and then you hold both cards. After you get some sea time and can upgrade to 1600 master from 500 master you will have still done the mates test and assessments in case you want to get one something that would allow you to upgrade to third unlimited.

What he said. If I had I pick between the two I would get the mate’s ticket but it really depends on how many days you would need to get to 1600 master from 500. Hypothetically if you only needed 100 or so days I’d get the masters license and upgrade ASAP.

As far as recency goes you only need 90 in the last three on “appropriate tonnage” which id say just means the time has to fit into any of the categories acceptable for the license. Really doesn’t change the situation for you but just for the sake of mentioning it.

Doesn’t 500T master include 1600 mate? It’s the next step up.

No, the big difference is the number of days as “supervisory” as well as sea time tonnage.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

My 500GRT was issued in 1998. For me to get a 1600GRT now I have to completely retest. However, I had a 3000 ITC when I submitted my renewal a few months ago and now my MMC reads, 500 GRT, 1600 Offshore Supply Vessels GRT/3000 GRT.

I took the 500 master test a few years ago. Once I get the required time for the 1600 which I should already have I can upgrade to 1600 with no more testing… At least thats what I was told and have read. I’m just waiting until I can get celestial behind me.

I upgraded to my 500 master from a 200 back in Nov. Was told the same thing, after I get some seatime, not sure of the exact amount, on my 500 I can upgrade and slide right into the 1600 with no further tests.

Apply for both!
I recently tested for 500 ton master. During the application process I realized I was qualified for 1600 mate, too. Too late to add to application. So shortly after testing, I sent app for 1600 mate. It was issued with no additional testing.
Of course, it cost me more in fees. Don’t make the same mistake, apply for both.

I was in this exact situation a few months ago. I decided to apply only for the 500 ton and here’s why.

To test for both you will have to take 11 total modules. Rules only once, everything else twice.

Also, for the mates license, you will need the OICNW assessments. My evaluator kept insisting ARPA was a requirement for the assessment also, which my vessel doesn’t have and I don’t have the means of doing the course anytime soon. I was going to then apply for the mate’s license without stcw on it but after finding out about 5 additional modules I stuck with just getting approved for the 500 ton master.

Just because your vessel doesn’t have ARPA that shouldn’t stop you. Just get the assessments pencil whipped. All the cool kids are doing it.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;142273]Just because your vessel doesn’t have ARPA that shouldn’t stop you. Just get the assessments pencil whipped. All the cool kids are doing it.[/QUOTE]

And hope that yours isn’t one of the assessment packages they select to spot check by contacting the assessor, researching the vessel, etc.

Better yet, just don’t do them. NVIC 12-14 clearly indicates you don’t have to do assessments for ARPA to get an endorsement with a limitation to vessels without ARPA.

Just curious to know, would the CG go after an assessor they found to have pencil whipped an assessment like this?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;142297]Just curious to know, would the CG go after an assessor they found to have pencil whipped an assessment like this?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, they haven’t yet for assessors, but for similar actions with Designated Examiners for towing vessels, we have withdrawn approvals and given official letters of warning. I’d expect the same on assessors, particularly after 2017 when they have to be approved.

No, but a 1600 mate qualifies as a 100 ton master. Also, the 1600 master is going to change with the new rules. I forget which way it goes but one or the other will be no more. It will either be 500/3000 or 1600/3000 master if you hold the one that is being eliminated you will receive the other one automatically upon renewal.

Please quote the CFR that validates this statement?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;142276]And hope that yours isn’t one of the assessment packages they select to spot check by contacting the assessor, researching the vessel, etc.

Better yet, just don’t do them. NVIC 12-14 clearly indicates you don’t have to do assessments for ARPA to get an endorsement with a limitation to vessels without ARPA.[/QUOTE]

I argued with my evaluator regarding that and he wouldn’t budge. I know I could have filed a grievance or whatever to resolve it and in hindsight I should have, but oh well.
I may reapply for it depending on how testing for the 500 ton goes.

I don’t know what CFR pertains to this ruling but as I posted before; My 500GRT master was issued in 1998. For me to get a 1600GRT now I have to completely retest. However, I had a 3000 ITC when I submitted my renewal a few months ago and now my MMC reads; 500 (GRT) Master, 1600 Of Offshore Supply Vessels (GRT)/3000 OSV (GT). Issued this July.

[QUOTE=Fla-cracker;142358]I don’t know what CFR pertains to this ruling but as I posted before; My 500GRT master was issued in 1998. For me to get a 1600GRT now I have to completely retest. However, I had a 3000 ITC when I submitted my renewal a few months ago and now my MMC reads; 500 (GRT) Master, 1600 Of Offshore Supply Vessels (GRT)/3000 OSV (GT). Issued this July.[/QUOTE]
The Master OSV changed. Your 3000 ITC is a Trade restricted license only good on OSV’s…

You may want to retain a license consultant to help with the testing part. I am in the same situation as you, I have a 500 GRT Master that I am currently in the process of upgrading to 1600 GRT Master based on seatime alone, my consultant told me I will not have to retest.

Application just got to PQEB step after 4 weeks of sitting.