REC vs NMC

My MMC shows that it is in transit to NMC. Why did it have to be sent to the REC just for them to send it to the NMC. You would think that it wouldn’t take more then a week but apparently it does, unless they lost it.

I think the RECs are supposed to verify the completeness of the application for the NMC, so the NMC can process them with lightning speed. If they weren’t complete, the NMC would be slowed down.

:cool:

Of course, now that I see it in black and white, it makes perfect sense

[quote=Capt_Anonymous;14864]I think the RECs are supposed to verify the completeness of the application for the NMC, so the NMC can process them with lightning speed. If they weren’t complete, the NMC would be slowed down.

:cool:[/quote]

Lightning speed? That 's a good one C_A …

The next thing you know our good friends at NMC will blame the back log on the mariners…I just read somewhere that they like to blame the other guy …:smiley:

NMC is now recommending that when you receive your new MMC, you immediately submit your next renewal application.

2 Likes

My MMC application spent 2 weeks “In Transit” even though it takes only about 3 days for USPS to send mail across the country. I assume this is because of the considerable backlog. Now my MMC is finally “Ready to be Evaluated PQEB” which from what I’ve read here will take 5 - 7 weeks for it to be assigned to a PQE. After looking at various charts and reading sundry posts, this should be longest period of the wait for anyone applying for their original MMC.

My MMC took 12 days to go from REC to NMC. it is now awaiting SEC.for about 5 days now. So it has to go to PQEB" next. Then where does it go?

[QUOTE=Capt_Anonymous;14864]I think the RECs are supposed to verify the completeness of the application for the NMC, so the NMC can process them with lightning speed. If they weren’t complete, the NMC would be slowed down.

:cool:[/QUOTE]
Lightning speed, of course. And why not!

I hereby nominate Bad Brains’ [I]With The Quickness[/I] as the official theme song of the National Maritime Center. May it serve as inspiration, like a bright shining beacon sweeping across the horizon on a dark-n-stormy night, where only despair, doubt and loathing now exist…

[quote=captjacksparrow;15208]Lightning speed, of course. And why not!

I hereby nominate Bad Brains’ [I]With The Quickness[/I] as the official theme song of the National Maritime Center. May it serve as inspiration, like a bright shining beacon sweeping across the horizon on a dark-n-stormy night, where only despair, doubt and loathing now exist…[/quote]

Man I love your taste in music!

skycowboy,

you can find a visual diagram of the process at homeport’s website, just scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/channelView.do?channelId=-26661&channelPage=%2Fportlets%2Fmmld_search%2Fmmld_search_block.jsp&pageTypeId=13489&BV_SessionID=@@@@0739526782.1247033607@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadehjlmllhdcfjgcfgfdffhdghk.0

Same here…

Thanks for the info. I have been to that page about two dozen times, but never scrolled down far enough to that flow diagram.

Everybody needs a little [I]Bad Brains[/I] in their life, even government employees. Maybe [B]especially[/B] government employees…

Hey Rich,

On my renewal, once it cleared medical, it went to PQEB which is the actual evaluator assigned to your case. If he has any questions he writes you a letter which takes as long as the regular mail takes to get to you, but if you call and check and actually talk to someone they will tell you who your evaluator is and you can talk directly to that person to see what their question is about before you acually get the letter they send to you. In my case, the piss test had not been signed off by a medical review officer at the clinic. I had the clinic give me a new piss test and they faxed it directly to my evaluator [B]saving a whole[/B] [B]lot of[/B] [B]time.[/B] Evaluators will not accept faxes from you personally but will accept faxes from official persons other than you such as the nurse at the clinic. The people at the NMC W.Va. are very helpful and do the best they can to make things efficient and quick as they possibly can..........

Steve, I did call and they told me it was being held up because my TWIC card didn’t list my occupation as Merchant Mariner. It took 5 minutes to call the TWIC help desk and get it fixed. I wonder how long it would have sat if I had not called. I am in my STCW class now, folowed by the AB course and then Lifeboat. I was hired on to a crew boat starting the first week of Aug, They are small but have a couple of DP boats, I’m hoping to get some exposer to that.

My recent renewal sat at PQEB for seven weeks, I checked the status daily. After that I got a phone call from the NMC to clarify one issue. It was approved, printed and sent all in the next day.

I’m in the 8 week club for my upgrade. When I called the NMC was told my file was being requested from Miami and Memphis REC. How much longer is this going to take?

Sail,
Tough question! Seems like every time you turn around there is another reason that the NMC can’t fulfill their mission, this lack of foresight, that lack of software training, this inability to actually understand the CFR’s. I can only wish you well…I’m still trying to figure out if my STCW is correct and complete based on my course work…
MTSKIER

1 Like