Radar question for Chief Cavo

Mr. Cavo.

Due to the recent economy, my retirement plans have been put on hold and I find myself renewing my mariners license. My license expires does not expire until August 09. However my radar observer expired at the end of March. To renew, do I need to take the full 5 day radar initial class, or merely just take a 1 day approved renewal course? Hoping to only pay for and lose one day of time to coursework, rather than five.

Thanks

You just need the one day renewal, and you don’t have to send anything in to the Coast Guard anymore either. You need to carry your current cert with you in case they want to see it.

You’d best get moving on your renewal if you want it soon. I think they’re running around sixty days turnaround time for renewals. Also, if you’ve got your TWIC card, you can now mail all your stuff to the REC, you are not required to appear in person anymore.

[quote=matefig;11987]Mr. Cavo.

Due to the recent economy, my retirement plans have been put on hold and I find myself renewing my mariners license. My license expires does not expire until August 09. However my radar observer expired at the end of March. To renew, do I need to take the full 5 day radar initial class, or merely just take a 1 day approved renewal course? Hoping to only pay for and lose one day of time to coursework, rather than five.[/quote]

You can take the one-day “recertification” course no matter how long your endorsement has been expired.