Radar Isolation when crew are on the monkey island

On some vessels I have seen it required that whenever crew go up on the monkey island that the radars are to be switched off and isolated. On other vessels this hasn’t been a requirement and crew go up and work there with the radars still switched on.

The reason given for requiring the isolation is that there is a long term risk of radiation affecting the health of people working up there, and not that the radar might hit them, as radars are always well up the mast out the way.

Is this a thing that most companies require you to do?

It can fry your corneas too. I’ve also heard of sterilization but I believe that is a myth.

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;106332]It can fry your corneas too. I’ve also heard of sterilization but I believe that is a myth.[/QUOTE]

Yeah need to look out for the corenas and cojones.

I don’t know anything about “science,” but not turning the radars off in the lock chamber is an easy way to get yelled at.

Go on mythbusters & check out the radar myth.

Yeah and try leaving them on during a ship job.

[QUOTE=Tugted;106356]Go on mythbusters & check out the radar myth.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think in the mythbusters experiment they took into account long term expose and risks of cancer whilst trying to cook the turkey.

In the Navy we had to secure transmitting RADAR when we went alongside the ammo pier.

a leaking microwave oven is far more dangerous as you are way closer and its continuous wave

There are two ways to get injured by the radar:

1. You get hit in the head while it is spinning.

2. You strip naked, sit on top of it, tape your balls to the transmitting side of the array and spin around for 30-45 minutes. Of course I have NOT had anyone do this yet.

Other than that, unless u r on the same plane as the radar, I would not worry about it. I tell this to my crews and let them make a decision. It is not that big a deal to me one way or the other. Whatever makes them feel safe.

I agree with 1 with being physically hit.

Most ship do prefer that the assist boats turn of the radar. I have had issues on containerships on turning the radar on before sailing. In some ports the stevedores do not want the radar on as they are about the same level of the radar. I have had words over if the radar is not on we will not leave the dock until it is on and adjusted.

http://marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3081

Personally I flip over to standby in close quarters, etiquette I guess… Ouch, that tape hurt when I pulled it off… Feeling kind of warm and dizzy…