Radar is out? Stop cursing and grab a plotting sheet

Ok your entering the fairway at Galveston and your radar goes out, what is plan B?

How about handing the mate a plotting sheet and sending him to the … Click HERE to read the full blog article.

A word of [B]absolute caution[/B] should be inserted here. I understand that you are stating that the AIS is to be used in the event that your RADAR is on the fritz, but we need to make clear that the data from an AIS should [B]not [/B]normally be used for collision avoidance.
As a matter of fact, if I can take a visual bearing, I wouldn’t even bother with the AIS; that is how much I distrust the data.

Somehow I missed the AIS option in what looked like a very short blog article (unless I’m missing something here), but definitely agree with you Capt. Fran. Visual bears should always be taken when possible.

“Radar assisted collisions” joining “AIS assisted collisions”…I agree Capt. Fran; nothing takes the place of good old-fashioned pilotage, plotting and visual bearings with the Mark I eyeball and a chart.

Keeping constant track of where you are, by every means available, and moderating your speed in less than ideal conditions, plus maintaining a good radio watch, are good seamanship…sorry…seapersonship;).

We’ve become too reliant/dependant on technology. Basic skills need to be reinforced.

Just my opinion. Not worth much, really, but it IS mine.

Calm seas and slack water

Nemo